Our trip on the Dawn 6/17

leekel619

I didn't get a photo of the one we really liked and I know between the two of us we had two bottles by the glass. More. Then it disappeared the third day. The "updated tablet" story. I knew something was wrong before that but I wasn't complaining. I did a ton of research on the wines available by the glass with UBP before we left on our cruise. None of them seemed to appealing. The North and South isn't bad. There's two reds but only one served by the glass.

Here's the Mondavi we tried and I'll put a couple other pictures here to show you the tablets.

3218be727bc003dd0bbacae2db51208c.jpg336c1f15a45414dfa92a0a0338faa62d.jpg

This one strangely unavailable but always on the tablet. In the price range too

0652ab3bbf0289f8367ad3366cb90aa3.jpg

This one also unavailable. We wanted to try it.

The North and South isn't bad. There's two reds but only one served by the glass.

Here's the Mondavi we tried and I'll put a couple other pictures here to show you the tablets.

Hi. Thanks for your update.

Are you trying to tell me that the wine bar only has "good" wines by the bottle and otherwise wines by the glass is no different than the other bars? Doesn't make sense. I am only interested in $100-$250ish wines (typical restaurant prices)...Mondavi M qualifies...Looks like Silver Oak on the wall, ok.

Are you telling me the wine bar is only selling these by the bottle and not by the glass? Doesn't make sense...not in the concept/spirit of a wine bar???

I take it that anything being sold by the glass is upgradable using the UBP for prices over $15?

BTW, how much was the Mondavi M per bottle on the menu? Leaving on Friday and need to decide whether to bring some wines on the ship?

Edited by soxfan2013

This was one of them in every bar for UBP. 27da6e251011fc1c64c1bfb3dae86f99.jpg

We did not try it. We like the higher ABV [emoji10]

I just assumed it would taste like tin. That cheap wine taste. Or horse manure.

It may be good though?

We've turned into awkward wine snobs over the years. We collect it. We attend weekly wine tastings and a huge monthly one at a local warehouse store. We started years ago and now it seems we really only have a taste for higher end wines. Strange.

By this I mean @ $20 per bottle. And we have fights about the higher priced ones. I say NO! He says yes. I usually win. But even at $20 they are hugely discounted. The prices are great at this store.

They have plenty (hundreds) of fine wine. That's the name of it. BinEnds Fine Wine. Check it out if you're ever in Braintree! We only drink craft beer too. (They have hundreds of them as well and beer tastings every Friday.) So there's none on the Dawn.

BinEnds spoils you. And we always get to taste before we buy!

We used to buy case specials. It would be like $48 for 12 bottles. We were like yeah what a deal. Then we were like this tastes like sh*t.

Now I bring any left overs from those cases years ago, to my work. We make wine baskets and raffle them for charity. The wine really isn't bad.

But we have the snob syndrome. [emoji37][emoji1306]

I only have about 25 more bottles to raffle off [emoji19]

We brought three expensive bottles on the cruise. (From fights I lost.) One we had at lunch we paid $96 for. It would have been about $250 on the ship. It was sooooo good.

And we some how lucked out and didn't pay corkage at the pier. The wine guy never showed up until 45 minutes after we took our wine bag and left.

We had been told "Go stand over there!!" after it went thru the scanner.

We definitely weren't trying to hide it. It was in plain view.

Then all of a sudden Ed took the carry on and stormed off. He wouldn't say boo to anyone but he wanted his seat near the ship boarding entrance....it was filling up fast while we stood there like fools.

We had a little disagreement when the guy finally showed up. He wanted to go over and pay.

NO?!?!??

We brought the other two bottles back home after the cruise.

This was one of them in every bar for UBP. We did not try it. We like the higher ABV [emoji10]

I just assumed it would taste like tin. That cheap wine taste. Or horse manure.

It may be good though?

We've turned into awkward wine snobs over the years. We collect it. We attend weekly wine tastings and a huge monthly one at a local warehouse store. We started years ago and now it seems we really only have a taste for higher end wines. Strange.

By this I mean @ $20 per bottle. And we have fights about the higher priced ones. I say NO! He says yes. I usually win. But even at $20 they are hugely discounted. The prices are great at this store.

They have plenty (hundreds) of fine wine. That's the name of it. BinEnds Fine Wine. Check it out if you're ever in Braintree! We only drink craft beer too. (They have hundreds of them as well and beer tastings every Friday.) So there's none on the Dawn.

BinEnds spoils you. And we always get to taste before we buy!

We used to buy case specials. It would be like $48 for 12 bottles. We were like yeah what a deal. Then we were like this tastes like sh*t.

Now I bring any left overs from those cases years ago, to my work. We make wine baskets and raffle them for charity. The wine really isn't bad.

But we have the snob syndrome. [emoji37][emoji1306]

I only have about 25 more bottles to raffle off [emoji19]

We brought three expensive bottles on the cruise. (From fights I lost.) One we had at lunch we paid $96 for. It would have been about $250 on the ship. It was sooooo good.

And we some how lucked out and didn't pay corkage at the pier. The wine guy never showed up until 45 minutes after we took our wine bag and left.

We had been told "Go stand over there!!" after it went thru the scanner.

We definitely weren't trying to hide it. It was in plain view.

Then all of a sudden Ed took the carry on and stormed off. He wouldn't say boo to anyone but he wanted his seat near the ship boarding entrance....it was filling up fast while we stood there like fools.

We had a little disagreement when the guy finally showed up. He wanted to go over and pay.

NO?!?!??

We brought the other two bottles back home after the cruise.

I really don't know what you are saying. I know the ship has a good wine list at restaurant prices.

The WINE BAR is new post drydock...A wine bar means a big range of wines by the glass...that's the common definition of a WINE Bar vs a Wine List.

So, my core question is whats GREAT that's available by the glass?

Hi. Thanks for your update.

Are you trying to tell me that the wine bar only has "good" wines by the bottle and otherwise wines by the glass is no different than the other bars? Doesn't make sense. I am only interested in $100-$250ish wines (typical restaurant prices)...Mondavi M qualifies...Looks like Silver Oak on the wall, ok.

Are you telling me the wine bar is only selling these by the bottle and not by the glass? Doesn't make sense...not in the concept/spirit of a wine bar???

I take it that anything being sold by the glass is upgradable using the UBP for prices over $15?

BTW, how much was the Mondavi M per bottle on the menu? Leaving on Friday and need to decide whether to bring some wines on the ship?

The Mondavi was $199 per bottle.

As we scanned the tablet all the good wines were by the bottle. Or if they had "by the glass" prices showing they were "unavailable" (like the soy milk in the Java Cafe)

I think they do it because of the UBP.

But what if you don't have it. And what if you like to pay $20 per glass.

So I guess in that case you'd get the bottle.

It could be changed again when you go.

We had this one at $30 per glass so we paid $15 per glass (the amount over the allowed price on UBP). And for some lucky reason they refunded it a couple days later.

We weren't about to complain. But I know it was an error.

I loved the wine bar.

I hope you report back what you find and I hope I see it. Please let me know.

Silver Oak was not being sold by the glass. [emoji52]

They had several really nice ones on display. Bottle only.

The tablet has tons of wine.

So yes. I guess maybe I am trying to tell you only the cheapo ones are by the glass. That's dumb.

You should be able to pay what you want over (or under!) the $15 limit. And they have that fancy extractor so they do not have to take the cork out. The wine doesn't go bad if you only want one glass. We might buy one of those things.

To be on the safe side take a couple good ones with you. The $200 restaurant prices are probably only about $50 at home. The mark up is ridiculous.

I wish I thought to take more pictures of the wine pages in the tablet. Which was really cool! Never saw that before.

They had two different Opus also. We bought one a few years ago at the MDR. It was very expensive and not that great. But we had seen a special one time on TV about the winery and there it was on the menu!

I really don't know what you are saying. I know the ship has a good wine list at restaurant prices.

The WINE BAR is new post drydock...A wine bar means a big range of wines by the glass...that's the common definition of a WINE Bar vs a Wine List.

So, my core question is whats GREAT that's available by the glass?

You'll see for yourself. Not many. Trust me I was very disappointed.

I know what a wine bar is. [emoji1303]

Sorry I can't explain why they took the really good one we were drinking off the list. The others we wanted to purchase were unavailable. Even though they had by the glass prices showing.

They disappeared also in the updated iPad.

My guess is they're still working on it. IT stuff. The wine bar is called Cellars. Yes it's brand new. You will like Ricardo. He's the cellar master.

Also we only looked at reds.

I hope you have better luck. I'm sure it will be all straightened out. Or else just buy the whole bottle.

You're lucky. All the menus ship wide are changing July 1. The Mexican restaurant opens. And O'Sheehan's gets it own menu up. Last week and this week it was still using Blue Lagoon's limited menu. Well I can't vouch for this week as clearly I'm on my couch at home. But that's what was stated at a Q&A with officers.

c7f174ead788cbcccb947b984042a049.jpg

Here's an example of a wine not sold by the glass in the wine bar. It's not even a good one. At $43 on the ship it's probably $5 at home.

If the wine is sold by the glass, in the wine bar on the Dawn, the menu on the iPad shows a little glass in the left hand corner. Many were by the bottle ONLY. In the wine bar.

Who cares. After the first three and a half days of great luck we decided to head to Gatsby's for martinis and cocktails if we wanted a drink. But the wine bar was very busy.

I will watch for your comments when you get back. My fingers are crossed they add more choices by then.

Edited by leekel619

Reading through these review threads make me glad that we are sailing 15 July and skipped the earlier cruises. I'm hoping after a month most of the glitches such as the plumbing issues are ironed out.

Reading through these review threads make me glad that we are sailing 15 July and skipped the earlier cruises. I'm hoping after a month most of the glitches such as the plumbing issues are ironed out.

We are on the same sailing as you and I'm thinking the same thing - hope things are fixed!

We had a nice time. The few things that were unavailable didn't get in our way.

I avoided the public bathrooms. They were very lovely and new but many were out of order and had flooded floors. I didn't want to walk in it. [emoji37] not sure where the water was coming from. I seriously doubt it was sewerage but still...they were busy keeping at them with cleaners and fans.

We were lucky because our room was one floor up from where we tended to spend a lot of time. So it was easy to get to a rest room [emoji15]

We were deck 8 aft facing. It had atrocious music booming and banging until 3 AM every night. Literally vibrated our bed. I did get ear plugs from guest services but didn't use them. Psyched myself to sleep knowing peace comes after 3. Although NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

But that's our fault for not researching. We always get aft facing on deck 10 but with the No May bookings and subsequent cancellation of our 6/3 booking we were in kind of a panic to secure a cabin. Well Ed was. He really likes it back aft watching the wake. Now I know why deck 8 was available. [emoji10]

Also I saw on Bermuda port cam the ship is docked port side this week. That would be nice if it docks that way next May when we go again.

I sound cranky but that Calico Jack party boat ruins the ambiance of evenings on the balcony. Funny thing is I didn't know it was sea worthy and we saw it sail off into the distance shortly after we arrived. What?

I heard they took it some where to take employees out for the Monday holiday in Bermuda. It came back for Monday night.

It wouldn't be as loud for us anyhow if the aft was the other way. It would be nice to watch the Oracle area activity too![emoji1303]

All the menus are changing July 1. So we missed that. Including O'Sheehan's. They get their own menu then. Right now it's still the old Blue Lagoon menu. Mexican opens July 1.

We were told at one of the Q&A's with officers that the menu changes every three years. I remember the last time.

He talked a little about the process and planning of menus in Miami and test kitchens and lots of other things. Chefs.

So when we go back we'll see even more new things.

Our neighbor in an aft facing suite next to us told me his bathroom had severe flooding from the walls. Filling floor and shower with water. And their toilet was often out of order. Scary. I know a few times I had a little scare when I'd push the flush button and wait and wait and it would flush about a minute later. Just as I was about to run screaming for the phone. Someone else told me all her clothes on the closet floor got soaked. She could hear water in the walls.

All the new furniture was nice. Decorations around ship are contemporary/geometric design.

Nice comfortable seating in out of way places. The lounge area above O'Sheehan's was great. The new chairs in Bliss are very heavy and it's fun to try and move them. And watch the others try.

I loved the wine bar. They have tablets to view the wines. The first two maybe three days we had awesome!!! (Can't express enough just how great!!) wine choices by the glass with UBP.

Then I went in again and looked for my wine. Ricardo said oh they updated the list last night. [emoji46]. It was back to the few cheap wines that are ship wide when you ask for a glass.

They literally took them right off! I was scanning pages like a madwoman.

They'll have to fix that again because paying customers will not be happy with the current choices either. We couldn't complain because it was free for us anyhow.

He let us finish off a bottle from night before that was no longer listed. I think he would have opened another too but we had places to go and people to see.

We brought three bottles with us. At check in the wine guy wasn't there. We waited and waited where they told us to stand. Finally Ed grabbed our carry on and we went and sat down. Amost an hour later I still didn't see wine guy to pay corkage fee too.

When he finally showed up I did not march over and say hey I owe you $45.

We didn't open two of the bottles. We had one at lunch on embarkation at MDR. I saw the waitress staring at bottle looking for sticker but she didn't say anything.

Oh. I do have a complaint. They only had soy milk in Java Cafe for one day. Sunday I think. Every time before and after I tried to get a soy cappuccino they said sorry.

How can I forget our major complaint?? Channel 2 the Navigation channel was all snowy static. Never worked. I don't know about ship wide but those I thought to ask said they didn't have it either.

We like to see where we are. How high the seas are Etc. But you are in luck. They're working on a lot of IT updating all over the ship and I think it will be new and enhanced on the new TVs.

It did no good to ask on the phone because we were told I'll have someone check it. Even Alain acted like he knew nothing about it. "Hey Alain what's up with Channel 2?"

When the engineer was talking at a Q&A I found out about the IT enhancements that were ongoing.

One more observation but I didn't notice it right away...balcony was filthy. Dirty walls. Rusty rail posts. Chips and shards. Dust from where they had sanded the deck. I think they were out there working on way to Boston before we got on.

We had unpleasant weather for a couple days so I didn't spend much time on the balcony. It was wonderful out there on the way home. Didn't see whales. Saw tons in Nantucket Sound last year. Which I don't know when we were there since Ch 2 didn't work ...

The connecting "doors" back there were open for well over 24 hours and banged all night in the bad weather. Steward couldn't fix it.

Finally the maintenance man came twice. Second time he drilled a screw in.

I did have a giant pet moth land on my rail post on Thursday. He was there most of the day. I saw him fly by the day before, to the next balcony.

On embarkation day our key cards would not open our room. They worked for the first hour.

Luckily like I said it wasn't hard to run back and forth 4 times after they'd re-set it. Long lines but we cut by then. Had to!

Finally the guest relations woman ran up and tried it for herself. Then she called security. She came and aimed some gadget at the door and it was fixed. Then we just made it in time to muster!

We had two dinners for two because of our platinum status. Had them both in LaCucina.

Ate in Bamboo once. O'Sheehan's once. Other than that we enjoy the buffet. Leisurely and eat at our own pace. Lots of choices.

You'll all see for yourself how the ship is and enjoy your own experiences.

Happy cruising! Can't wait to see more comments and opinions on the new Dawn!

When ships are built or dry docked, cabins should be sound proofed, so that passenger's sleep is not disturbed by noise from lounges, theaters, or other cabins. Doing so would spare many complaints.

When ships are built or dry docked, cabins should be sound proofed, so that passenger's sleep is not disturbed by noise from lounges, theaters, or other cabins. Doing so would spare many complaints.

That's the same thing Ed and I have talked about. It makes no sense why they don't.

Or at least put the loud nightclubs with booming thumping speakers attached to the ceiling...under storage areas instead of beds.

Right now someone is in the room we were in trying to sleep probably and believe me it's extremely loud.

One night during the week the pool side band was down there doing an evening of island music. Like reggae etc. It wasn't bad. I could clearly hear the sets practically like I was there. Then it stopped and I said Yay. Then 15 min later it started up again even louder. The old we'll be right back after a short break...

I was actually mad I was already undressed and in bed instead of down there with them.

Long days when we get up with the sun and roam around relaxing. Afternoon drinks. Food everywhere. Makes us tired. [emoji10][emoji1354][emoji1353]

One of the other nights it must have been about 2:30 the dj played that song What Does the Fox Say. He quickened the tempo and turned it up so loud I'm surprised the system didn't blow up. Must have been a spastic scene in there!

Then of course the song was stuck in my head for two days. I actually like that one [emoji12]

Everyone at home keeps saying how was your cruise. Welcome back. How was it. What did you do. As usual I say we loved it!

We relaxed! Made new friends. Walk. Sit. Eat. All day. Every day. Stare at the water. Stare at the people. Lay down. Sit up. Walk some more. Oops hungry again.

We went to a couple Stardust shows just to see if they changed. They didn't.

No responsibilities. No chores. Just pure bliss. (And this year: Bliss [emoji37])

Edited by leekel619

Hopefully. I think you're also lucky you arrive in

Bermuda on Sunday the 17th. Grandeur of the Seas arrives Monday the 18th.

The cruise after you has the Anthem coming in on Monday.

Anthem has 4180 passengers double occupancy (4905 max...which it probably maxes out in July with kids)

Add Dawn's 2200+ not including crew.

We were lucky as well that it was Grandeur there our week. Same as you.

That's a lot of people in Dock Yard scrambling for transportation on Monday.

It's crazy.

It's amazing even if all 5000-6000 passengers don't disembark Monday to travel around you have to plan on probably close to 4000 doing it from both ships....looking for cabs and ferries.

It's getting so crowded.

When we were there last week it rained a lot Sunday and Monday. Monday was a holiday in Bermuda. Limited buses. Nothing open in Hamilton. But even in the rain it was amazing to watch the droves filing off Grandeur of the Seas. (Which only has about 2k passengers.)

Heading to who knows where.

Thankfully we didn't have flooding in our room.[emoji15]

Have a great cruise! I can't believe a week ago I was sitting in Gatsby's, enjoying our last night at sea.

fc6ec12d1c2aa8ff88f73278abc73638.jpg

Edited by leekel619

27dc0f907dd2b904cce79e8e7b5eb217.jpg

Someone taking a nap. A huge wave came up and splashed those windows. Atrium deck. We were sitting there doing our daily Sudoko with coffee.

ba8c515ca451a605e66b27bd975537be.jpg view from lounge. Looking down at O'Sheehan's little areas to sit and watch atrium shows. The eating areas were a couple steps up. O'Sheehan's is big. And loud.

f06ed1295415bfb4b96a2cd25f6fafc5.jpg

Bartender

1ad39635f8e58e8107546dc3e0a4f843.jpg

Inside Bliss.

4092f179cebb4e711567bcb386d6f1d2.jpg wine bar tablets

Sunday night in Garden Cafe. About 7:45. Quiet...e116acb02f3f6468b831dc93ef4bbbfc.jpg

ee99925171797bf351cb405ef7e3a3b8.jpg

Sitting with Ed in one of the little viewing books overlooking Atrium

94f6ac2acafff4d7ccde9b64d97f19d7.jpg soup!

fae35102bf691581138eda5d30e0e594.jpg

Monday night last night in Bermuda

82ea3f422653f4115d4329b34ff34782.jpg

Another view off our balcony. Last night in Bermuda

ef5960a2f765acc613415929c63b0d9d.jpg

Did they have any upcharge dishes in the main dining room? If they do can you use your SDP to pay for them.

I hope someone else answers that! I did see up charge dishes but not sure about the SDP question.

Now I know why I never saw you after the M&G - you were always at the wine bar whilst I was permanently affixed to my stool at Topsiders (casino by night). Too bad they did bait and switch on the wine menu for you.

One thing I don't know if anyone mentioned - on deck 9 along the inside corridor mid - there are several doors that open to public lounge that overlooks the atrium. I only popped in there but looked like a great retreat from the crowds.

Can't believe we've already been home a week. I'll say that even with all the bumps in the road we had, we still had a wonderful time and will be back next June.

Now I know why I never saw you after the M&G - you were always at the wine bar whilst I was permanently affixed to my stool at Topsiders (casino by night). Too bad they did bait and switch on the wine menu for you.

One thing I don't know if anyone mentioned - on deck 9 along the inside corridor mid - there are several doors that open to public lounge that overlooks the atrium. I only popped in there but looked like a great retreat from the crowds.

Can't believe we've already been home a week. I'll say that even with all the bumps in the road we had, we still had a wonderful time and will be back next June.

No wonder! Yes we really liked the lounge area on Deck 9. We went up there several times. Thru the doors or up the stairs in Atrium. I posted a few pictures of it.

Actually we weren't in the wine bar at all on the way back. We liked Gatsby's more.

I hope you made out well in the casino.