What's your typical Bermuda agenda?

AnnetteSC

Sailing in August on the Summit and still trying to decide what to put on our "must do in Bermuda" agenda for the 3 days we will be there.

It's our first trip to Bermuda so we want to make the best of our time there. Our group is interested in seeing the island and its treasures but not snorkeling, sailing, high adventure type of activities.

Just curious to hear from the experts what you recommend doing. Also, if anyone has made such an itinerary and wouldn't mind sharing, I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

Thanks!

If seeing the island is your main priority my suggestion is to plan a day to hire a blue-flagged taxi (certified tour guide) for 5-6 hrs. You will be driven all around and shown the highlights of Bermuda, from the lighthouse to the Swizzle Inn and the beautiful beaches. If you are lay on the beach and relax types, definitely plan some time at either Horseshoe Bay or Elbow beach.

If you like history, go over to St George. Plenty to see there and lovely shops.

On our last day in Bermuda, (visit #5 coming up for us in Aug) we usually like to take the ferry to Hamilton for a couple of hours for some last minute shopping.

Check out the Bermuda boards in the "ports of call" thread here on CC.

Lots of info there on things to do.

Enjoy your cruise and Bermuda! It's a wonderful destination!

If seeing the island is your main priority my suggestion is to plan a day to hire a blue-flagged taxi (certified tour guide) for 5-6 hrs. You will be driven all around and shown the highlights of Bermuda, from the lighthouse to the Swizzle Inn and the beautiful beaches. If you are lay on the beach and relax types, definitely plan some time at either Horseshoe Bay or Elbow beach.

If you like history, go over to St George. Plenty to see there and lovely shops.

On our last day in Bermuda, (visit #5 coming up for us in Aug) we usually like to take the ferry to Hamilton for a couple of hours for some last minute shopping.

Check out the Bermuda boards in the "ports of call" thread here on CC.

Lots of info there on things to do.

Enjoy your cruise and Bermuda! It's a wonderful destination!

Thank you!

Sailing in August on the Summit and still trying to decide what to put on our "must do in Bermuda" agenda for the 3 days we will be there.

It's our first trip to Bermuda so we want to make the best of our time there. Our group is interested in seeing the island and its treasures but not snorkeling, sailing, high adventure type of activities.

Just curious to hear from the experts what you recommend doing. Also, if anyone has made such an itinerary and wouldn't mind sharing, I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

Why not start reading the threads on this forum? Bermuda is an easy DIY.

SBtS

Why not start reading the threads on this forum? Bermuda is an easy DIY.

SBtS

I have been reading since we booked the cruise 3 months ago. I even made a document with tips (most are from you, SBtS). :)

Problem is that, since we only have 2 1/2 days in Bermuda, I would like to know what is worth doing most with the time we have.

Also, when it's your first time visiting, the info here can be confusing (dare I say....intimidating?!) :confused:

I'm a planner. Because of it, my family relies on me to have an agenda. I'd like to be prepared. I know everyone wants to visit the caves (I heard you need heavy jackets there because it's so cold??). The zoo/aquarium is optional (I heard it's nice but nothing you can't leave for next time). My DD14 is fascinated by the glass beaches and wants to go there. We'd like to also go one day at the best beach to see the "pink" sand. We want to experience Harbor Night. Would like to visit both St George and Hamilton. Want to do some shopping. Finally, see what expert deem a "Must See" in Bermuda.

I have to prioritize and squeeze the most into the short time we'll be there. Not easy when you don't know where you're going and how close the places you want to see/do are in relation to each other.

Now you know why I asked... LOL :D

Thanks everyone for the great advice!!! :)

I have been reading since we booked the cruise 3 months ago. I even made a document with tips (most are from you, SBtS). :)

Problem is that, since we only have 2 1/2 days in Bermuda, I would like to know what is worth doing most with the time we have.

Also, when it's your first time visiting, the info here can be confusing (dare I say....intimidating?!) :confused:

I'm a planner. Because of it, my family relies on me to have an agenda. I'd like to be prepared. I know everyone wants to visit the caves (I heard you need heavy jackets there because it's so cold??). The zoo/aquarium is optional (I heard it's nice but nothing you can't leave for next time). My DD14 is fascinated by the glass beaches and wants to go there. We'd like to also go one day at the best beach to see the "pink" sand. We want to experience Harbor Night. Would like to visit both St George and Hamilton. Want to do some shopping. Finally, see what expert deem a "Must See" in Bermuda.

I have to prioritize and squeeze the most into the short time we'll be there. Not easy when you don't know where you're going and how close the places you want to see/do are in relation to each other.

There is no typical agenda and you can't do everything that is worth doing in 3 days. It is best to chill out and pick a couple of things that interest you. If you like Bermuda like many of us do you will return and do other things. If not then it won't matter. Do as SBtS suggested and read the threads. When you get to Bermuda it will be a lot clearer.

As far as a jacket to the caves, if you go you do not need a heavy jacket. I would not even take a jacket or sweatshirt, and I am thin blooded. It is not cold in them. It was cooler than outside but I wore a T Shirt and shorts. You won't even be in them long enough to worry about the temperature. Most of the time at the caves is waiting outside in the heat to get in. And you don't want to walk down and back up the 80 plus steps with a heavy jacket.

Edited by Charles4515

Speaking of the caves, I've been to Mammoth caves in KY multiple times and green grotto caves in Jamaica.... would the Crystal Caves be a disappointment in comparison?

We're taking the 9:30 ferry to St George and plan on coming back on the 3:30 ferry which gives about 5 hrs to do things. We'll be at tobacco beach and st Catherine area for most of that time, what would be the best thing to do for the remaining 1-2 hrs in the area?

Speaking of the caves, I've been to Mammoth caves in KY multiple times and green grotto caves in Jamaica.... would the Crystal Caves be a disappointment in comparison?

We're taking the 9:30 ferry to St George and plan on coming back on the 3:30 ferry which gives about 5 hrs to do things. We'll be at tobacco beach and st Catherine area for most of that time, what would be the best thing to do for the remaining 1-2 hrs in the area?

Crystal Caves is nothing in comparison to Mammoth Caves. Mammoth Caves spoiled me. I went to school in southern Indiana so I went to Mammoth Caves a couple of times. At Crystal Caves there are two caves. Crystal Cave which is one small cavern with an underground pool you can walk across. The pictures they show make it look longer than it is, taken with a very wide angle lens. Fantasy Cave you view a larger cavern but still not that large. They are nothing compared to Mammoth Caves. That does not mean the Bermuda Caves are not interesting but if you have been to one like Mammoth it is more like checking them off a Bermuda bucket list. I think the Crystal Caves are best for people who have never been to any caves. Or those who want to mark it off a Bermuda bucket list since the caves are often mentioned.

I generally come back from St. George on the 3:30 ferry, getting to the ferry terminal around 3 since the 3:30 ferry is popular. In addition to Tobacco Bay et al, I walk around the Town of St. George's, visit St.Peters Church, the Perfumery, check out some shops like the English Sports Shop. Have lunch at a restaurant like Wahoos, or White Horse Tavern. An alternative is instead of taking the ferry back to the Dockyard from St. George's is to take a bus to Hamilton, walk around there and take a ferry back to the Dockyard from Hamilton.

Edited by Charles4515

Wow! What you said is echoing my current experience exactly, AnnetteSC. LOL!! I am the Master Planner for the family and they are all looking at me as if I'm the Grand Poobah and I've not even been to Bermuda.:D So thankful for these extensive forum threads although, at some point, I have gotten thoroughly confused.:confused: I've saved most of the tips from SBtS and Charles4515 and Mitsugirly while keeping in mind what I think my family will enjoy. That plus, oh Mother Nature, please be kind to us the first week of August. :-)

Thank you everybody for being so generous with your tips!

Wow! What you said is echoing my current experience exactly, AnnetteSC. LOL!! I am the Master Planner for the family and they are all looking at me as if I'm the Grand Poobah and I've not even been to Bermuda.:D So thankful for these extensive forum threads although, at some point, I have gotten thoroughly confused.:confused: I've saved most of the tips from SBtS and Charles4515 and Mitsugirly while keeping in mind what I think my family will enjoy. That plus, oh Mother Nature, please be kind to us the first week of August. :-)

Thank you everybody for being so generous with your tips!

So glad I'm not the only one who is confused/overwhelmed by all the great info! :o We're going August 7th, Dreamer68. Are you going the week before?

I, too, am praying for good weather. :)

For now, my tentative plan is to do Caves, BAMZ (maybe?) and a couple of hours at Horseshoe bay on the first day. Come back to ship to freshen up and go to Harbour Night (debating if we should stay out there for Harbour night instead of tracking back and forth in the same day....:confused:). Day two: St George, glass beach and maybe Tom Moore jungle. Third/final (short) day: hang around Dockyard for a little shopping etc.

I'm still reading and piecing together info so the plan is subject to change... :D

So glad I'm not the only one who is confused/overwhelmed by all the great info! :o We're going August 7th, Dreamer68. Are you going the week before?

For now, my tentative plan is to do Caves, BAMZ (maybe?) and a couple of hours at Horseshoe bay on the first day. Come back to ship to freshen up and go to Harbour Night (debating if we should stay out there for Harbour night instead of tracking back and forth in the same day....:confused:). Day two: St George, glass beach and maybe Tom Moore jungle. Third/final (short) day: hang around Dockyard for a little shopping etc.

I'm still reading and piecing together info so the plan is subject to change... :D

Here are some things to consider. If there are no children in your group, you could drop the visit to BAMZ which would give you more beach time. Since you mentioned the glass beach, are you referring to the one near St George, or the one that is walkable from the Dockyard which could be done on day3. Tom Moore's Jungle borders the caves. If you do the caves while skipping BAMZ, I would suggest a taxi to the beach otherwise it will be a bus into Hamilton and another bus to the beach. I would estimate the total travel time by bus would be about 60 minutes.

Try to group your "to dos" to minimize travel time. For example, the caves and Horseshoe Bay Beach are not close to each other. Another example is visiting the caves on day 1, and then returning to the same area on day2 to do TMJ. There is a map here which may be of some help.

The map is old, so the ferry terminal in St George is now on the other side of the cruise ship dock.

SBtS

Here are some things to consider. If there are no children in your group, you could drop the visit to BAMZ which would give you more beach time. Since you mentioned the glass beach, are you referring to the one near St George, or the one that is walkable from the Dockyard which could be done on day3. Tom Moore's Jungle borders the caves. If you do the caves while skipping BAMZ, I would suggest a taxi to the beach otherwise it will be a bus into Hamilton and another bus to the beach. I would estimate the total travel time by bus would be about 60 minutes.

Try to group your "to dos" to minimize travel time. For example, the caves and Horseshoe Bay Beach are not close to each other. Another example is visiting the caves on day 1, and then returning to the same area on day2 to do TMJ. There is a map here which may be of some help.

The map is old, so the ferry terminal in St George is now on the other side of the cruise ship dock.

SBtS

I always appreciate your input, SBtS! My DD is 14 (my 16 yo niece will be with us) and is more into seeing the caves, glass beach TMJ than BAMZ (we're spoiled by the fact that we have visited many aquariums/zoos including Xcaret in Mexico so not a big deal if we skip BAMZ).

I read here that at the glass beach by the Dockyard, you are forbidden from removing any glass. Not that we want to make bags of it like I read some people do! Lol The girls only want one piece each as a memento from Bermuda. That is why I was planning on visiting the one near St George.

Should we stay out for Harbour nights to save travel time?

Thanks for the map too! :)

After reading the feedback, I'm thinking we should do Caves, Swizzle Inn for lunch, TMJ on day 1. Day 2, do Horseshoe bay in the am and head over to St George in the afternoon for glass beach and walking around. Of course, from what I read, optimal time to visit glass beach is low tide so I may have to swap timing accordingly. Day 3, Dockyard.

We still want to attend Harbour night that first evening but not sure how realist my plans are to be able to do all of the stuff on day 1 and still try to make it to Hamilton for HN....

After reading the feedback, I'm thinking we should do Caves, Swizzle Inn for lunch, TMJ on day 1. Day 2, do Horseshoe bay in the am and head over to St George in the afternoon for glass beach and walking around. Of course, from what I read, optimal time to visit glass beach is low tide so I may have to swap timing accordingly. Day 3, Dockyard.

We still want to attend Harbour night that first evening but not sure how realist my plans are to be able to do all of the stuff on day 1 and still try to make it to Hamilton for HN....

Are you ready for more....?

I would switch HSB to day 3 and do St George and the Dockyard on day 2.

If you are concerned about being at HSB on departure day, read the thread titled Last day in port, do i dare go to horseshoe beach?

As for HN, I would make that decision once you have completed your visit to TMJ. You might be just too exhausted to do HN. In fact, if you took the bus from TMJ to Hamilton, as you walked to the ferry dock, you could make the decision based on you energy level and time.

SBtS

Yep, AnnetteSC, we will be there the week before you. We are prioritizing seeing what we do not have in our neck of the woods up here in the Great, White North or what we have not already experienced in our trips abroad. That and going a bit in reverse perhaps of where people go on their 3 days there. Currently, planning on leisurely morning that we dock, supposedly Celebrity docks at 8:30am so I assume there may be long lineups to get tokens and passes, keeping in mind, our ship is close to capacity (was told all inside cabins are sold out). Plus there's the thing about the megaship from NCL docked beside us to contend with. We'll visit the Naval dockyard first morning, we booked a fishing tour in the afternoon, possibly do Harbour Night that evening. We have a DD16 and a DS13 who both like nature. Day 2 is Hamilton walkabout, perhaps Spittal Pond, finishing with a walk/trek/sit/relax/swim/gaze-out-at-the-water time from Warwick Long Bay to Horseshoe Bay. Where's a good place to catch sunset without having to get on yet another mode of transportation, BTW? Day 3, we are renting our own boat for 4 hours to freely move along the coast before getting back to the ship with plenty of time to get myself some Bermuda rum cake to bring home. :)

SBtS, yes, I am leaving the Dockyard on the last day for two reasons: 1) ship is leaving that day; 2) my crew may be too tired of running around by then! Lol Not concerned about my DH (who is a marathon runner, btw) or myself. My dd14, my niece16 and my brother (who has had a hip replacement) are the "weakest links". :)

Maybe we should go to the glass beach at the Dockyard on that last day (day 3) instead of tracking to the one in St George. Anyone know if the girls would still be able to collect one piece of sea glass each at the Dockyard?

Can you nice expert guys (SBtS, Charles4515, etc) help me put a transportation plan in place according to my above mentioned itinerary? There will be 7 of us on this trip but, like I said before, not sure my brother and SIL will make it to all of the visits on my list. I know they love HSB and want to go there for sure. They also like walking around in St George (my brother and SIL have been to Bermuda before but they haven't done much there! lol).

On Day 1, I'm planning taking the ferry to Hamilton and then hop on bus #10 or #11 and tell driver to stop near the caves. After the caves, do we walk to Swizzle Inn? I thought I read it's nearby but not sure how close. And what do we take to go to TMJ after we leave Swizzle Inn? From TMJ, what bus goes back to Hamilton for the ferry back? Or, like I said in a previous post, maybe we should just stay in Hamilton for HN and then go back on the ferry...

Day 2, just checked tide calendar for St George and it looks like it's at 9:08 am on that day. So, if we can't pick sea glass at Dockyard and have to go to St George, we'll have to hop on an early ferry to st George that morning; go to sea glass beach and then go back to St George to walk around. Most likely we'll need to use transportation to achieve that...suggestions?

Then, after lunch, we head over to HSB for the rest of the day. What's the best way to go from St George to HSB? I know that from HSB we can get a shuttle back to Dockyard.

Day 3, we walk! Lol :)

Yep, AnnetteSC, we will be there the week before you. We are prioritizing seeing what we do not have in our neck of the woods up here in the Great, White North or what we have not already experienced in our trips abroad. That and going a bit in reverse perhaps of where people go on their 3 days there. Currently, planning on leisurely morning that we dock, supposedly Celebrity docks at 8:30am so I assume there may be long lineups to get tokens and passes, keeping in mind, our ship is close to capacity (was told all inside cabins are sold out). Plus there's the thing about the megaship from NCL docked beside us to contend with. We'll visit the Naval dockyard first morning, we booked a fishing tour in the afternoon, possibly do Harbour Night that evening. We have a DD16 and a DS13 who both like nature. Day 2 is Hamilton walkabout, perhaps Spittal Pond, finishing with a walk/trek/sit/relax/swim/gaze-out-at-the-water time from Warwick Long Bay to Horseshoe Bay. Where's a good place to catch sunset without having to get on yet another mode of transportation, BTW? Day 3, we are renting our own boat for 4 hours to freely move along the coast before getting back to the ship with plenty of time to get myself some Bermuda rum cake to bring home. :)

Dreamer68, sounds like you have a great plan! Enjoy and let us know how it goes. We'll be boarding right after you get off! :)

Late august will be my 2nd trip to bermuda but what I have planned is:

Day 1

get a taxi/tour guide to see St. George, get a quick bite, Spittal pond bird sanctuary, maybe pass some celebrity houses - I think Michael Douglas has a house there but there may be others, stop at a sea glass beach (not swim), see the somerset draw bridge and whatever sites the tour guide thinks useful

Later in the day well catch the ferry to Hamilton for the Habour Nights festival

Day 2

we'll stay local earlier , do some shopping and maybe see the museum / dolphin quest - but we may do this on day 3 instead

Then we'll do the excursions for the caves, aquarium, zoo and garden

Later we may go to warwick beach

and even later than that we'll do the bermuda triangle glass bottom boat night tour

Day 3

(if we didn't do this day 2) do some shopping and maybe see the museum / dolphin quest

we may hang our at snorkel park

I really haven't booked or mapped it all out yet but that's what I'd like to do

Is there a more detailed Bermuda transportation map available here? I have been studying the one SBtS included in his reply to me but I have not been able to figure out the bus # for my plans, except for the bus from ferry to the caves (I can see it's either #10 or #11).

I would greatly appreciate help with my dilemma.

Thank you all for the help you have given me so far! :)

Is there a more detailed Bermuda transportation map available here? I have been studying the one SBtS included in his reply to me but I have not been able to figure out the bus # for my plans, except for the bus from ferry to the caves (I can see it's either #10 or #11).

I would greatly appreciate help with my dilemma.

Thank you all for the help you have given me so far! :)

What is your dilemma? The other maps show the same as what he included. Below is a link to another version. Ask specific questions. Below that is my favorite map of Bermuda. But it does not have the bus routes.

http://www.mappery.com/map-of/Bermuda-Public-Transport-Map

http://www.gotobermuda.com/uploadedFiles/GetHere/MapsAndBrochures/SubContent/HR%20Map_JUNE2013_web.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

What is your dilemma? The other maps show the same as what he included. Below is a link to another version. Ask specific questions.

http://www.mappery.com/map-of/Bermuda-Public-Transport-Map

The dilemma I was talking about was in my post #17 in this thread, Charles4515.

Specific questions are:

On Day 1, I'm planning taking the ferry to Hamilton and then hop on bus #10 or #11 and tell driver to stop near the caves. After the caves, do we walk to Swizzle Inn? I thought I read it's nearby but not sure how close. And what do we take to go to TMJ after we leave Swizzle Inn? From TMJ, what bus goes back to Hamilton for the ferry back? Or, like I said in a previous post, maybe we should just stay in Hamilton for HN and then go back on the ferry...

Day 2, just checked tide calendar for St George and it looks like it's at 9:08 am on that day. So, if we can't pick sea glass at Dockyard and have to go to St George, we'll have to hop on an early ferry to st George that morning; go to sea glass beach and then go back to St George to walk around. Most likely we'll need to use transportation to achieve that...suggestions?

Then, after lunch, we head over to HSB for the rest of the day. What's the best way to go from St George to HSB? I know that from HSB we can get a shuttle back to Dockyard.

Day 3, we stay at Dockyard.

Specific questions are:

Tell me what the tides have to do with the sea glass? What time do you want to be there?

Specific questions are:

I don't think your plans are realistic to doing every single thing of the above taking public buses.