Looking for suggestions for my port day in Marseille

BajanFab

Hi

I've been on a shore excursion to Aix en Provence just beautiful and if you are there on market day is even better , which day are you arriving ? this guide also took us to Cassis for a boat ride to see the creeks amazing !! we found Nancy in this forum who did everything for us

nancy@southernfranceluxury.com

enjoy your trip !!

Thanks for the info, we will dock on Tuesday 16th of August:)

• 1 month later...
We're on Harmony in August. Planning to take the train to Aix en Provence for the day. We thought the tours were pricey, so we'Re going to do it on our own..

I want to do same for my cruise in September. Let me know how your day went.

all I can say is take a tour as there is not much to do just walking around town. .....

Completely disagree. We had a wonderful day seeing the city.

I was wondering what there is to see in walking distance of the port.

Appreciate any advice you have.

Vieux Port is a major destination. Very lively and very scenic, but can be crowded with tourists.

Notre Dame du Garde is the most popular attraction. Highest point in the city. Impressive church with spectacular view. Can be reached by Le Petit Train or bus 60.

Cathedral Le Major is close to terminal 1 (the post shuttle stop) almost as impressive as N.D du Garde.

Le Panier is the arts district. Charming streets with lots of shops and galleries. Also a nice museum complex at Le Vielle Charite.

Good museums are Mucem (Mediterranean cultures) and Cantini (surrealist art), and there are others for History of Marseilles, Roman docks, etc.

If you are more adventurous, walk around the Arab Markets. We were there on a Saturday and the stalls and shops were busy. Picked a random pastissiere for lunch.

Try these sites

http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187253-Activities-Marseille_Bouches_du_Rhone_Provence.html

Edited by cc_rider

Was just in Marseille port a few days ago from our cruise (end of August 2016). My group went to Arles, Avignon, Les Baux, and up to Pont du Gard.

If I were to do it again, I would spend a day in Avignon. Also, I had several people on board tell me they had a fantastic experience in Casiss.