How to get best deal

emtabulous

It's a lot like the airlines. It can be all over the place. Early Saver isn't a bad route but it has some risks. Suggest you pick a category of stateroom where plenty exists because you'll only get OBC for same category as booked.

Using a TA can get you a little extra OBC a lot of times or some other goody.

But bottom line, it's like any other business--supply and demand.

I've only cruised twice. I still haven't figured out the system. How do I get the best deal when booking? Does Carnival run certain deals at certain times?

You just have to be lucky , and there sales are non sales.

Also some times of year are cheaper than others.

For example we get the best rates during hurricane season but you do have a risk of getting a different itinerary than what you signed up for.

Summer is the most expensive time of year.

We just sailed into a tropical storm--oh my! Ship was rocking and rolling

It's a lot like the airlines. It can be all over the place. Early Saver isn't a bad route but it has some risks. Suggest you pick a category of stateroom where plenty exists because you'll only get OBC for same category as booked.

Thank you!

Really depends on the TA. Many top cruise TAs are not that interested in Carnival unless it's a large group --Too much handholding for novice cruisers combined with small commissions. Even if aTA wants to do the booking, OBC back to you will be very small or replaced by a bottle of $10 champagne.

There are some rewards programs (i.e. VerizonSmartRewards) where you can use points to lower the fare (typically 8-9%). You can also use points (Verizon again, AARP) to get discount gift cards and use those to pay for the fare.

I used point to lower the fare by 9% then paid for most of the cruise with the discounted gift cards. Saved over $700.

Some online travel agents will kick something back or cover the gratuites.

The gift cards are usually 10% off in exchange for pointsand they almost always have Royal Carib with Carnival being hit and miss.

We book way early....usually atleast 9+ months out.....book under 'early saver' which means if the price drops, your price drops (you have to submit an online form)....and the earlier you book, the better choice of cabins available...it's a gamble, but usually works out for us..........

Also, I have found the best prices are posted Feb/Mar....with the cheapest sailings in Sept/Oct....we also usually find a decent deal on cruises from mid-may to early June (just before schools are out in the northeast)...

You can also find some rock-bottom prices on cruises between Thanksgiving and Christmas...

Edited by AnitaVacation