Peanut allergies

dredawg

DD is allergic to peanuts and treenuts. She's been sailing Carnival since 2006 and hasn't had an issue. We sail the same itins and meet up with the same waiters/hostesses year after year and they all seem to remember her allergy, even when she's not sailing with us.

Only had issues with 'user' error, no issues with Carnival. If you have a nut allergy, know that Carnival classifies seeds as nuts.

See the Hostess when the Maitre 'd has hours. Hours will be in the FunTmes, usually starting around 1pm. The hostess will take that night's order. Each night the hostess or your waiter will bring you the next day's MDR menu-breakfast, brunch/lunch and dinner. If deciding between two entrees, order both. For brunch don't hesitate to order a breakfast and lunch if you want to eat both meals in the MDR.

For room service, they cannot make special for you but they can tell you the ingredients. No special area so there is always the possibility of contamination

Buffet is a minefield. Most things with nuts are marked. Ask the Hostess or the Head Lido Chef or the Food and Beverage crew in the officer whites. DO NOT ask the line cooks. They mean well but do not know the full recipes. Cross contamination is always a possibility.

Onshore--- we bring allergy cards. I made our own but you can buy some at selectwisely.com.

You can only bring off commercially prepared food. We bring cereal bars, boxes of cereal, bottled water, hard candy etc.

Many ports will check. Some will do a physical search, others use dogs. You do not want the cute Labrador to sit next to you. I've had them alert on my Lemonheads.

Kids clubs have a form to fill out. A few years ago peanuts had to be written in. There are some snacks served at times. The younger kids meet up at the dinner buffet certain nights. Ask the counselors what's on the menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

At dinner your waiter will have your order and confirm it with you. The only issue we've ever had was DD food came out quicker than mine did.

If you have ATD, an order slip will be generated and given to your waiter as you are seated. For breakfast/lunch/brunch you'll have to remind the hostess staff that you have a special order until they recognize you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I don't have the peanut allergy which can be much worse than my issue, but I have some food sensitivities, not really allergies, but they can cause a lot of problems. When I made it known to my waiter, he was very very careful to check with me about what he was serving. More careful than he needed to be with my issues, however, I really appreciated his care and I think cruising is becoming more aware of peoples needs and how serious it can be.

You don't say how old your kids are, but if they are old enough to advocate for themselves and know not to share snacks that is helpful. Based on my experience I think you will be fine.

Bring prepackaged snacks like was suggested.