Luggage drop off in Galveston

rgbmommy

First time to cruise out of Galveston in a number of years (normally cruise from Florida after flying in) so things have changed since then. Plus, I was living in Galveston at the time and we just took a taxi to the port. Anyway....

We (myself and my two teenagers) will be driving in from Houston Saturday morning and the plan is to eat lunch at their favorite pizza place down there before heading to the port. They also want to stop at La Kings on The Strand to load up on their favorite candy since it's so close to the cruise terminal. I prepaid for parking at Galveston Park & Cruise which is literally across Harborside Drive from the terminal. My question is, can I drop off the luggage with a porter before parking without leaving a kid at the terminal? I was hoping to drop off luggage, park, walk over to La Kings for candy, then walk to the terminal for check in.

My other option is to just park, leave luggage in car while we walk to La Kings, get luggage, then walk across the street to the terminal. All of our luggage has wheels, and I realize it's not that far, but if we didn't have to mess with getting the luggage across the street, it would be so much better. We aren't trying to be some of the first ones on so we can sit there and wait. My only real concern (other than trying not to schlep luggage around) is not having our luggage delivered to our room until dinner time if we dilly dally a little too long getting candy. (Yes, I'm aware that can happen no matter what and we will have certain things in our carryons.)

Sorry I got long winded! ;) Thanks!!

Hmmm, not sure about dropping off, but would it be too much trouble to park, walk the luggage over to check in, then go to the stores? Or, would the kids be okay left together for the few minutes it would take to go park? The comfort level there would probably depend on exact age. I wouldn't want to leave a couple of 13 year olds, but 17-19 maybe. Someone on here must know for sure - I just can't remember exactly where the porters are & if they would let you leave the car momentarily to unload & hand over.

I suppose we could do that... parking, walking luggage over, then shopping. My kids are 14 and 16 and I have no problem leaving them for the few minutes it would take me to park. I just didn't know if they would be allowed to hand over the luggage to a porter since they aren't "adults". Are the lines long to check in luggage? I've never really paid much attention before since I've never wanted to go somewhere before getting on the ship.

Drive up, drop off the luggage you wish to check with the porters. Then go park your car and do whatever.

The only problem will be if you have carry-on luggage that you don't want to take with you. I'm not sure if they will let you back in the garage after you park your car. I've never tried that. You might want to call Galveston Park & Cruise and ask if you will be able to get back in the garage to get things out of your car after you park it.

If you only have small carry-ons that you don't mind taking with you to the Strand, it won't be an issue.

Even from Houston, I would try to get a reasonable hotel on the island the night before. Especially if you have your heart set on doing anything on the island.

Why would you give someone this advice? You can drive to Galveston up until 9-10 am at posted (or above) speeds. Traffic picks up during the summer season, but even then it's not a long time spent in the car.

We've cruised from Galveston over thirty times, picked up family from early flights at IAH and made the island in under ninety minutes.

Galveston isn't the traffic disaster people post about on the boards. We left from Beltway 8 and 45 at 2:30 today, a holiday weekend, and it took an hour.

Every cruise we drive up and drop off our luggage, go have breakfast at the Mosquito Cafe and then return to the parking lot later in the morning. The beauty of this is we step on the shuttle with just a carry-on.

There is a reason we have six ships either here or coming, and traffic and fog aren't the stoppers.

Edited by BallFour4

Every cruise we drive up and drop off our luggage, go have breakfast at the Mosquito Cafe and then return to the parking lot later in the morning. The beauty of this is we step on the shuttle with just a carry-on.

That's what we were hoping to do, I just didn't know if that was possible without leaving one of the kids there to wait in a porter line or having cops / security get mad because I'm not moving my car fast enough.

We used to live in Galveston and I drive down there at least every other month, if not more. It's right at an hour from my front door to 61st Street or pretty much anywhere on the island. We just haven't cruised out of Galveston since 2007 and all our more recent cruises have been on Disney out of Port Canaveral. All we were wanting to do was eat lunch at Marios on 61st and get candy at La Kings. Been there, done that on just about everything else so no need to play tourist before the cruise. :)

Why would you give someone this advice? You can drive to Galveston up until 9-10 am at posted (or above) speeds. Traffic picks up during the summer season, but even then it's not a long time spent in the car.

We've cruised from Galveston over thirty times, picked up family from early flights at IAH and made the island in under 90 minutes.

Because OP has a "to do list" in Galveston and has NOT cruised from Galveston 30 times.

I don't know why you assumed I was a attacking Houston's traffic issues or Galveston's fog issues.

OP's kids have things they want to do in Galveston. I don't know about you, but things always take longer than I think they will when my kids are involved as opposed to when it's just the wife and me. So it just seemed to me that trying to do anything around lunchtime when the ship is sailing a couple of hours later would feel rushed and not be a very enjoyable start to the cruise.

We've only sailed about 8 times from Galveston. We have about a six hour drive to the port. Just as often as not, we'll get a cheaper hotel off the island to break the drive up; However, If we want to do things on Galveston before departure, we stay in Galveston the night before.

Because OP has a "to do list" in Galveston and has NOT cruised from Galveston 30 times.

I don't know why you assumed I was a attacking Houston's traffic issues or Galveston's fog issues.

OP's kids have things they want to do in Galveston. I don't know about you, but things always take longer than I think they will when my kids are involved as opposed to when it's just the wife and me. So it just seemed to me that trying to do anything around lunchtime when the ship is sailing a couple of hours later would feel rushed and not be a very enjoyable start to the cruise.

We've only sailed about 8 times from Galveston. We have about a six hour drive to the port. Just as often as not, we'll get a cheaper hotel off the island to break the drive up; However, If we want to do things on Galveston before departure, we stay in Galveston the night before.

You said "Even from Houston, I would try to get a reasonable hotel on the island the night before. Especially if you have your heart set on doing anything on the island." and that's what I responded too. I'm telling you there is little problem dropping off the luggage as early as 9-10am and then going to see some sights on the island.

Returning to the ship around 1:30-2 pm finds a lesser crowd, and those that haven't seen what all Galveston has to offer can enjoy some time here.

Perhaps you took what I posted wrong; it was not meant that way.

Edited by BallFour4

First time to cruise out of Galveston in a number of years (normally cruise from Florida after flying in) so things have changed since then. Plus, I was living in Galveston at the time and we just took a taxi to the port. Anyway....

We (myself and my two teenagers) will be driving in from Houston Saturday morning and the plan is to eat lunch at their favorite pizza place down there before heading to the port. They also want to stop at La Kings on The Strand to load up on their favorite candy since it's so close to the cruise terminal. I prepaid for parking at Galveston Park & Cruise which is literally across Harborside Drive from the terminal. My question is, can I drop off the luggage with a porter before parking without leaving a kid at the terminal? I was hoping to drop off luggage, park, walk over to La Kings for candy, then walk to the terminal for check in.

My other option is to just park, leave luggage in car while we walk to La Kings, get luggage, then walk across the street to the terminal. All of our luggage has wheels, and I realize it's not that far, but if we didn't have to mess with getting the luggage across the street, it would be so much better. We aren't trying to be some of the first ones on so we can sit there and wait. My only real concern (other than trying not to schlep luggage around) is not having our luggage delivered to our room until dinner time if we dilly dally a little too long getting candy. (Yes, I'm aware that can happen no matter what and we will have certain things in our carryons.)

Sorry I got long winded! ;) Thanks!!

Here is my take....

Drop you luggage before you head to the candy store. And arrive late. Why? Because if you are looking to get on the ship early, there is a good chance you will be waiting in line in the hot sun for up to an hour....not good if you have a bag of chocolate candy. But if leave the candy store at 2:30, my guess is you will walk right into the terminal and breeze through security and check-in.

My neighbor is on the Breeze right now. He texted me yesterday telling me they waited in a series of three lines before going through security....almost an hour in the sun.

Here is my take....

Drop you luggage before you head to the candy store. And arrive late. Why? Because if you are looking to get on the ship early, there is a good chance you will be waiting in line in the hot sun for up to an hour....not good if you have a bag of chocolate candy. But if leave the candy store at 2:30, my guess is you will walk right into the terminal and breeze through security and check-in.

My neighbor is on the Breeze right now. He texted me yesterday telling me they waited in a series of three lines before going through security....almost an hour in the sun.

Good advice on the chocolate. That's a great stop. The only thing about what your neighbor posted is the lines are under cover, in the shade. It was hot in Galveston yesterday, today will be warmer!

We rode by on bikes twice and they had a crowd in line.

Edited by BallFour4

As with many ports the drive up-drop off line can be extremely congested with embarks and debarks going on at the same time. Since the parking is close I'd park, run your errands, return to the car, and walk over your luggage....better yet I wouldn't head to the terminal 'till after one, after all the debarking passengers have left. I feel that opens up everything so that the congestion is pretty well DONE.

I use indoor parking at Galveston Park n Cruise. At the terminal, Security will direct you to the correct car line for your ship. You will have to wait for a porter to take your bags at the drop off line at Galveston. Then, you are free to go park at Galveston Park n Cruise. I forgot something in the car last year and they did let me back in the garage to get my item.

Thank you, everyone, for your comments! Like I said before, we lived in Galveston for a number of years before moving to Houston and I return often. I think we will try to drop off our luggage as soon as we get to the island, before going to grab an early lunch, then park, visit La Kings (even teenagers love candy!), then walk over to the ship. If I can't drop off luggage without leaving someone to stand in a porter line, then we will just go park, run our errands, and then walk across the street with our luggage.

I do encourage everyone to stay and visit Galveston and all it has to offer! Great restaurants, cute shops, and friendly people. They rely on tourism dollars! Unfortunately, I just can't justify giving them $100 for a hotel room the night before when I live less than an hour away. :)

• 2 weeks later...

After all of my questions... this is what happened and it worked out great!

We left Houston around 9 am and got to Galveston about 10 am. This even included a quick stop at the Buccee's in Texas City. ;) We went straight to the terminal and were able to drop off our luggage with a porter. We waited in the car line for a few minutes before being able to get close enough to the curb but there were plenty of security officers directing traffic. Once our luggage was dropped off, we drove around for awhile and made a stop at my bank for some small bills. Honestly, I think we got to town a little TOO early but I guess that's better than late. We ate awesome pizza at Mario's on 61st St then headed back to the terminal / downtown area. We parked the car and left our carry on items in the car. We walked the block or so to La Kings and the kids loaded up on their favorite candy. A quick walk back to the car to grab the carry on bags and we were on our way to the terminal. We had a 12:00-12:30 check in time but it was probably closer to 1:00 by the time we got into the line for security. The line was a little long but it was moving fast. Same for the check in line. We were on board and headed to our room by 1:30. Surprisingly, our luggage was waiting for us. If we cruise out of Galveston again, this is the way we will do it! No sitting around waiting for an embarkation zone number to be called then sitting on the Lido deck with carry on bags waiting for the rooms to be opened up. I also didn't have to pay the $60 FTTF fee.

Yes, this was the cruise that had to turn around after about an hour to return an ill passenger back to port and later that evening there was a "steering malfunction" that caused the ship to shake and lean heavily to one side. Chalked it up to an interesting story to tell and a great time was had by all! :)

Once our luggage was dropped off, we drove around for awhile and made a stop at my bank for some small bills. ! :)

As Breakfast room service addicts, we like to have small bills too. I realize you probably had the Houston version of the EZpass, but what works for us is paying with a $20 bill at each of the 3 toll booths.