Chefs Table vs. Behind The scenes Tour

Balto. Guys

I did both on Splendor in January. Chef's table only shows you the galley. Behind the fun include that plus the bridge, backstage and on stage, laundry, stores area, staff dining room (though not crew dining room), the very bow area, engine control room and stores area. OTOH, while there were snacks on behind the fun, Chef's table is a full meal. Some of it was a little weird, but it was a very pleasant experience. I enjoyed both.

Kind of hard to compare the two since they are so different.

Chef's Table - do you drink? Then unlimited champagne and wine which helps with the price. Its a nice event - great if you are a foodie - lots of different food to try (like powdered olive oil - cool :)). Start out in the galley with a small tour and I think 4 different appetizers; demonstration of chocolate melting cake. Then intimate dining experience with 14 or so strangers - or not if you are going with a group. :) Free 8x10 of the group.

BTS - A lot of walking and tour is around 2-3 hours. There is a break mid point for a small snack - a mimosa or OJ and then danish. You will also receive a baseball cap, lanyard and rubber bracelet and free 8x10 group pic with the captain. Also a plate of chocolate covered strawberries delivered to your cabin afterwards. It is fun - get to see all parts of the ship usually off limits to passengers.

I've done both and enjoyed each for what they are. Worth both doing at least once.

I agree with cruisin*tigger, hard to compare. I have done both and enjoyed both.

On the BTF tour, we did see the crew's dining area, and peeked in one of the crew's room. I was fascinated at how self-sustained the ship is. The refrigeration system is interesting also.

We did the Chef's Table with a group we met on Cruise Critic and had a great time. The food was outstanding. Everywhere we went, kitchen included, was so clean.

I am going to do both again on my upcoming Breeze cruise. We are cruising with friends who have done neither the BTF tour or the Chef's Table.

So, are you a foodie and like wine? Does the operation of things fascinate you? If yes to both, do both! You won't be dissappointed.

Can you book behind the scenes before you board ? Or if not , where do you sign up once on the ship ? Is there a cost ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by 23BAR

We booked behind the fun tour as soon as we boarded. You cannot book ahead, no refunds, 95 pp on breeze and must wear closed toe shoes . Very fast paced an d tons of walkin but super fun and informative.

Everything prev poster said is true including free pictures with captain.

They only allow 16 slots so book asap.

I didn't do chefs table but I think behind the fun is better with our mixed age groups and tastes. I don't know if my family would appreciate the different food at ct. The are meat and potatoes people.

I've done both and have only repeated the Chef's Table. The BTF Tour was interesting and informative, but something that needs not to be repeated for myself. We've done one CT's menu twice and I'm going to do the current menu for the third time in August, unless it changes before then. For me it's not only the food, but the entire experience that keeps me going back. DH is also a fan and he's usually not into "elaborate" dining. Cruisin*tigger gave the best breakdown of both-only you can decide what's more appealing to you.

Are you a picky eater? My husband prefers simple food that he can recognize, so he wasn't crazy about chefs table. I'm a foodie so I loved it. Behind the scenes was fun and interesting but once was enough for me.

Can you book behind the scenes before you board ? Or if not , where do you sign up once on the ship ? Is there a cost ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to excursion desk and book it as soon as you board as it can sell out quickly.

Are you a picky eater? My husband prefers simple food that he can recognize, so he wasn't crazy about chefs table. I'm a foodie so I loved it. Behind the scenes was fun and interesting but once was enough for me.

We have done both once and really enjoyed it.

Did behind the scenes about 4 years ago and loved it but think once is enough not much would have changed.

Chefs table was also a great evening but we are not foodies and think once was enough here as well.

Highly recommend doing both.

This is a debate for me as well. My husband is the boat guy and would love to see the inner workings of a big boat (okay, we're going on the Fantasy, so it's not a huge boat, but it's bigger than his). I'm the foodie and would prefer to do the Chef's Table. I'm not sure I can justify doing both on a 4-day trip. More than likely we'll try to get the BTF tour since this is a graduation/birthday present for him.

This is a debate for me as well. My husband is the boat guy and would love to see the inner workings of a big boat (okay, we're going on the Fantasy, so it's not a huge boat, but it's bigger than his). I'm the foodie and would prefer to do the Chef's Table. I'm not sure I can justify doing both on a 4-day trip. More than likely we'll try to get the BTF tour since this is a graduation/birthday present for him.

I would do one this cruise and one the next but would do BTF on a larger and new ship than the Fantasy.

We did the BTF tour on Glory this past January and we loved it. BTF is something one can only experience on a ship. We live near a major city and can have gourmet dining or molecular gastronomy experiences anytime, plus we don't drink so we wouldn't get the full dollar "value" for the CT price. Not to say CT isn't still a lovely experience, it just holds a different value for us. For us, shipboard geekery (I mean this in a good way!) won out. We plan to do BTF on the Vista as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by undercat