Alaska Wildlife Encounter pre tour

Amishcountry

We are booked on the Millennium June 2017, and will take the Alaska Wildlife Encounter pre tour. I am hoping somebody can share their experiences. What Hotel were you booked at in Anchorage, what excursions did you take, and any helpful hints THANKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Try the Alaska board for more, latest info. You may just be getting a stop at Anchorage wildlife center - its like a basic animal holding compound with bears, other types of native wildlife. Its on the bus route to/from ANC to Seward.

Not a big deal for adults but good for kids - probably the closest to such wildlife you will experience on typical AK cruise unless you do a dedicated wildlife view excursion in some ports. Good Luck

We are booked on the Millennium June 2017, and will take the Alaska Wildlife Encounter pre tour. I am hoping somebody can share their experiences. What Hotel were you booked at in Anchorage, what excursions did you take, and any helpful hints THANKS!

I put this over on the roll call but here's the Cliff's notes:

Anchorage - Sheraton. Nicely located in downtown. Make reservations at any restaurant you wish to visit - they fill up fast.

Denali - Denali Park Village. Beautiful river flowing by. Some folks did white water rafting. We visited the Husky farm.

Alyeska - Alyeska Hotel. Beautiful grounds and walking trails. Take the tram ride.

Train. There are open areas where you can step out and take pictures. Dining is in the lower level.

Motor Coach. The coaches are really nice. I suggest sitting on the right side of the coach when traveling to Alyeska. After that it's a crap shoot as both sides are spectacular.

Thanks so much Rosemary! Helps a lot Thought they stay at the Anchorage Marriott. Tour starts 5/29. We plan to arrive 5/27

Edited by Amishcountry

TAKE THE AKRR TRAIN instead of bus connections. Bus is nice BUT train is like 1st class airline. Bus stops at gift shops with porta potties on route between ANC and Fairbanks - and some 'shoppers' have to be retrieved from gift shop to depart.

Train = Better seats, viewing, easy walk around, bar service, full size restroom, sit down dining.

1) recheck your tour choice for train 2) inquire if any of your existing tour can be upgraded to train. Good luck

TAKE THE AKRR TRAIN instead of bus connections. Bus is nice BUT train is like 1st class airline. Bus stops at gift shops with porta potties on route between ANC and Fairbanks - and some 'shoppers' have to be retrieved from gift shop to depart.

Train = Better seats, viewing, easy walk around, bar service, full size restroom, sit down dining.

1) recheck your tour choice for train 2) inquire if any of your existing tour can be upgraded to train. Good luck

I agree completely about the train. However I think their tour shows them taking the train to Denali and a motor coach south from there.