Observations re dress code compliance - Summit 10/17-10/23

PatHobby

I cannot imagine spending my time on a cruise noting what others are wearing. Then again others cannot imagine spending their time on a cruise with their feet up on their balcony reading a book and never hitting the bars.

Also, can't possible imagine refusing to tip.

You hit the nail on the head when you say that PEOPLE recommend you wear thus and so - based on their interpretation on "formal or informal dress suggestion or recommendation by Celebrity or any other cruiseline, NOT the Cruiseline it self.

If you disagree with THEIR interpretation you are wrong - and thats where I get defensive and say they are phony formalists.

I would never wear shorts and a t shirt to dinner in the dining room on any night - but that's me - if you want to do that go ahead. But to tell me I might be turned away from the dining room because I am not dressed according to their interpretation of the rules is wishful thinking on their part.

Not wishful thinking but fact, I have seen it done on a number of occasions and you have no recourse, the bad public relations may be not to do it. Also, I really don't care what you wear.

I can see someone being turned away for wearing shorts in the dining room for the evening meal be it formal night ot not- and in reality that is not being arbitrary IMHO.

But to say - turn away someone for wearing a Jacket sans tie on formal night and seeing others in the dining room similarly attired would to me at anyrate be the basis for one large argument with Celebrity Management.

As I have stated on this forum and my original Phony Formalism thread - ALL I am trying to promote is a freedom of choice without being castigated by others. Why what I wear or you wear or any one wears should be of anyone's concern. and to disagree with the "Pro Formal Wear set" makes me worthy their approbrium and scorn. Sure I wear a tux - but it is MY CHOICE

as to when. If it is 95 degrees - I think I might be more comfortable wearing a jacket - thats what I am gonna wear.

Just returned from 14 night Hawaii cruise and with a seat facing the entrance I couldn't help but notice the passengers coming in. Lots of tuxes on formal nights but surprisingly at least 2 dozen (mostly men) in aloha shirts and khakis. Casual nights I saw many men in bermuda shorts. A few pairs of jeans but not much. Most disturbing was a female passenger who arrived almost every night in mesh basketball jerseys and sun visors. Formal nights were pants and a tee shirt. Many of her shirts had food stains visible on them. I really feel that perhaps it should have been suggested at the door that she visit the alternative dining or change into something more in tune with the other guests. I usually don't care what other passengers wear (to each his own) but her stained clothing left a bad taste in my mouth right before eating :rolleyes:

[ALL I am trying to promote is a freedom of choice without being castigated by others. .

And the point you and the other "me, me, me" people are incapable of grasping is that when the cruiseline plainly tells you what they expect you to wear to comply to the dress code, you are not entitled to have a "freedom of choice". You either play by their guidelines, or you prove that your selfish desires are more important than those of the cruiseline and your fellow guests, and in that situation, you DESERVE to be castigated.:eek:

Allen

Most disturbing was a female passenger who arrived almost every night in mesh basketball jerseys and sun visors. Formal nights were pants and a tee shirt. Many of her shirts had food stains visible on them.

OMG! You had the nerve to "castigate" her and violate her right to wear anything she wanted to because it was her vacation, and she paid for it, and it's all about her, her, her? I am SO shocked, debjac! :cool:

Allen

It is much better to be the best dressed person in the room than the worst dressed. Stay with your tuxes.

I was thinking the same thing...maybe 'giving up' on the tuxes is what a lot of men are doing, and possibly why the numbers of formal wearers are down.

Sailfish must be right. We're all old and never have any fun, that's why we follow the guidelines. Oh well.:rolleyes:

Well, prior to my five night cruise aboard the Mercury, the cruise line emailed me information about the their dress code guideline as it pertained to my cruise - it stated that there would be three types of evenings - one formal, two informal and two casual. I researched what was being said here on the Celebrity board about what to wear and it confirmed what was sent to me by the cruise line.

So, I packed a dark suit for my husband, a nice silk sports jacket, several shirts and ties and some casual clothing for when we went ashore and the two casual nights. When we got onto the ship, it was announced that there would be one formal night and four casual nights!

Now, the impression I got from people at this board was that even on those more casual nights, people still dressed up. In fact, on informal evenings, I should plan on wearing a dressy cocktail dress and it wasn't unheard of to see the guys in a shirt and tie on casual nights. Wow - that was certainly a departure from my previous cruise experiences.

Trust me when I say we ALWAYS follow the suggested guidelines for dress. We have always appreciated the recommendations of others in the know - I didn't want to simply go by our first Celebrity cruise (although I was very tempted to). SO, I packed up our clothes, and for the first three nights we cruised aboard the Mercury, we dressed up - finally, my husband refused to put on a tie and that was that!

Now I realize the cruise line had it all wrong, and I probably shouldn't be so hard on the nice people here at Cruise Critic who bothered to answer my questions. But based on my limited experience, Celebrity is no different in how people dress for dinner than the other cruise lines I have had the pleasure of going on. Everyone dressed up on formal nights, and dressed down (albeit in nice resort wear) the rest of the time.

Maybe longer cruises are more formal. Maybe older people dress up more. Maybe the east coast is more formal than the west coast. Maybe that's how it used to be. All I know is, what people are recommending you and what really happens are two different things.

Well, prior to my five night cruise aboard the Mercury, the cruise line emailed me information about the their dress code guideline as it pertained to my cruise - it stated that there would be three types of evenings - one formal, two informal and two casual. I researched what was being said here on the Celebrity board about what to wear and it confirmed what was sent to me by the cruise line.

So, I packed a dark suit for my husband, a nice silk sports jacket, several shirts and ties and some casual clothing for when we went ashore and the two casual nights. When we got onto the ship, it was announced that there would be one formal night and four casual nights!

Now, the impression I got from people at this board was that even on those more casual nights, people still dressed up. In fact, on informal evenings, I should plan on wearing a dressy cocktail dress and it wasn't unheard of to see the guys in a shirt and tie on casual nights. Wow - that was certainly a departure from my previous cruise experiences.

Trust me when I say we ALWAYS follow the suggested guidelines for dress. We have always appreciated the recommendations of others in the know - I didn't want to simply go by our first Celebrity cruise (although I was very tempted to). SO, I packed up our clothes, and for the first three nights we cruised aboard the Mercury, we dressed up - finally, my husband refused to put on a tie and that was that!

Now I realize the cruise line had it all wrong, and I probably shouldn't be so hard on the nice people here at Cruise Critic who bothered to answer my questions. But based on my limited experience, Celebrity is no different in how people dress for dinner than the other cruise lines I have had the pleasure of going on. Everyone dressed up on formal nights, and dressed down (albeit in nice resort wear) the rest of the time.

Maybe longer cruises are more formal. Maybe older people dress up more. Maybe the east coast is more formal than the west coast. Maybe that's how it used to be. All I know is, what people are recommending you and what really happens are two different things.

IMO, the cruise line has it right, they know the atmosphere they wish to create and maintain, but they do not enforce what they publish. This causes certain passengers to ignore the dress code and such it goes on and on, til we have what it so obvious on these boards.

I was on the Mercury cruise you reference and was also one of those that responded to your post. I have to say that I was simply amazed at how people were dressed on that sailing! It was the direct opposite of my personal experiences with Celebrity and a huge let down. If I had closed my eyes and blocked out all references to the particular ship, I could easily have believed I was cruising on NCL instead of X.

It comes down to the fact that cruise lines do not want to lose passengers so they do not enforce their published dress codes. It may just come back to haunt them as they lose their differentiation in the market place.

I know that before this cruise, I would have chosen X for a more upscale experience. But that is no longer true.

Gee, I never thought of myself as old. I too was on the Summit with Ma Bell and we were at a table for 10. 4 of the men wore tuxes and 1 of them wore a dark suit. On every informal night, they all work jackets & ties.

For the life of me, I can't understand WHY people want to go on a cruise knowing that this is what it is like. It has been since the Titanic.

You have options people.............Don't want to dress up........there is always other dining options.

Sailfish must be right. We're all old and never have any fun, that's why we follow the guidelines. Oh well.:rolleyes:

Caviargal

re your quote "I know that before this cruise, I would have chosen X for a more upscale experience. But that is no longer true."

Don't let this one experience spoil it for you. This sailing on Mercury is not going to make me believe that this (dressing down) is going to be the norm for Celebrity, this cruise was such a contrast from our previous experiences.

We will continue to choose Celebrity, because we enjoy the fact that people dress more formal than on some other lines.

We will pack the tux, the jacket and ties, the formal long gowns, and the short coctail dresses on our next 14 day cruise on Summit convinced that people will dress the way they always have on all of my Celebrity cruises.

Astrid

IMO, the cruise line has it right, they know the atmosphere they wish to create and maintain, but they do not enforce what they publish. This causes certain passengers to ignore the dress code and such it goes on and on, til we have what it so obvious on these boards.

I was on the Mercury cruise you reference and was also one of those that responded to your post. I have to say that I was simply amazed at how people were dressed on that sailing! It was the direct opposite of my personal experiences with Celebrity and a huge let down. If I had closed my eyes and blocked out all references to the particular ship, I could easily have believed I was cruising on NCL instead of X.

It comes down to the fact that cruise lines do not want to lose passengers so they do not enforce their published dress codes. It may just come back to haunt them as they lose their differentiation in the market place.

I know that before this cruise, I would have chosen X for a more upscale experience. But that is no longer true.

Since much of our cruise experience had been with Royal Caribbean and Princess (which we have always enjoyed) we had hoped Celebrity would be a lot like them, but sincerely thought otherwise. I know now that's not what most Celebrity fans wanted. You have so much more history with X - too bad the cruise wasn't what you had hoped for. I would have no hesitation in doing this cruise again. I still found the elegant ship atmosphere, the great service and food to be slightly better than what we normally see on Royal Caribbean. I simply envisioned Celebrity to be a tad more upscale and formal in the way people dressed. And maybe it is on other ships, just not aboard the Mercury.

I agree with others that the short length (six days) of my Summit cruise last week might have played a role in the relative absence of true "formal wear," as I stated on the original post. And I certainly have no intention of burning my tux - I'll continue to enjoy donning it when sailing cruise lines that have a "tux ambiance." All I said was that I might go the dark suit option if we booked again on Celebrity.

There's been much discussion of the "hypothetical" of a passenger being kicked out of a public area for inappropriate attire. In fact, exactly that happened to me. One formal night on a rather long (16 day) Silversea cruise from the Indian Ocean to the Med via Suez Canal, my wife and I decided to skip one of the five formal nights, and just order dinner to be served in our suite and watch movies, etc, while lounging in our PJs. Before our self imposed exile, we wandered into one of the bar lounges for a pre-dinner cocktail at around 5:30. I was still in my daytime jeans and sport shirt. At the stroke of 6, our drinks only half consumed, the bartender abruptly declared that I would have to vacate the premises as "formal hours" had commenced. What made it even funnier was that we were the only people in the lounge at the time! Giggling, we promptly left our unconsumed drinks and headed for our stateroom, were we simply poured new ones (all wines and spirits on Silversea are included in the price of admission and staterooms are kept stocked with the bottles of your choice).

Was the barman's action somewhat excessive? Yeah, I think so. If and when other passengers had started drifting in dressed in their evening wear, we would have voluntarily drifted out. Does this sort of enforcement of dress codes guarantee that passengers looking and paying for that sort of cruise atmosphere get their monies worth? You bet...

Sailfish,

By your own admission this was your second Celebrity cruise and it was a 5 day cruise. I really think what you saw was an exception at least from what I've seen. :)

You will be on the Mercury next week, right? Let us know how things went.

Something else that might be a factor in the way people dress on the shorter cruises is the amount of first time cruisers.

We visited with quite a few people while aboard Mercury and there were a lot of people on the Mercury who had never cruised before.

Astrid

Archived