Coeliac/Gluten Free Dining Options

gibbon12

We are sailing on Reflection on 18 July.

I'm fairly recently diagnosed as coeliac and this will be the first time I've cruised under the condition.

Are there any other coeliacs who have first hand experience of dining options?

I'm particularly unsure about how to dine at the buffet - how will i know which items are gluten free? How worried should i be about cross-contamination? Will there be any staff to ask?

I'd greatly appreciate any advice that anyone has.

My daughter has Celiac and it's been her experience that she's very well taken care of when she mentions it to the people in charge of dining rooms. When she was at Disney World they treated her like a rock star, walking her through the menu and down the lines at buffets, and bringing her special things. They are very well prepared with separate cooking areas because cross contamination is the worst! At least people are becoming more aware but as you're learning you do have to be vigilant in your own case and it's a constant "battle" to make sure kitchen staff and waiters don't do dumb things like "oh oh" removing croutons from a salad thinking that's ok, and that they didn't just poison your salad. The mere crumbs are deadly to a Celiac person -- as you well know.

I don't have Celiac but with a daughter having it I am aware that many people think it's just a dietary choice and not a dreadfully serious auto-immune disease, destroying your small intestine little by little if you ingest gluten. So many things have hidden gluten. It's not like diabetes where straying from a diet can often be managed. You can't "stray" and just have a wee bite of a cookie if you have Celiac. My daughter went through a grieving process when first diagnosed, bemoaning the things she no longer could eat. Now she is several years into her gluten free lifestyle and really is excited about what she CAN eat. She's actually gone almost paleo as she feels even better eating that way. She is lactose intolerant as well, which apparently isn't unusual with Celiac. I went totally gluten free for awhile to experience what she goes through. It's not hard at all, but when someone else is in control of your food I *do* know the stress. I feel sure Celebrity can accommodate you and give you an amazing cruise and you won't get sick.

So the good news I've heard:

You can put it in your reservation but it's best to mention it to the maitre d' at all the dining venues. You're not the first. They will do some separate things for you and walk you through the menu the night before. The head guy up at the buffet will do the same, but you might have to search for him. Don't talk to just anyone up there, get the guy in charge. There are still very many staff on Celebrity who don't get it, but keep being your own advocate. They do have separate things.

Personally we rarely if ever eat in the buffet ourselves, but that's a personal choice. The guests can cross contaminate things themselves, I've seen people touch things and move things with their hands. Not knowing if they have washed (!) I really get grossed out by that.

We like the Mast Grill for a quick easy burger but I'm not sure if the flat top is gluten free - have to check and make sure they don't do a bun on there. I don't think they do, but check it out.

If you are eating in Blu or Luminae I know for a fact that they can accommodate you (I've seen it) since they're much smaller venues. I haven't even stepped inside the main dining room in years but other similar threads about this subject in the past have had positive reports. In a ship with 3000 people you will not be the only person on board who needs this, and you're not the first one to step aboard. Just don't assume. Anything. (as you know already).

I'm fairly recently diagnosed as coeliac and this will be the first time I've cruised under the condition.

I'm particularly unsure about how to dine at the buffet - how will i know which items are gluten free? How worried should i be about cross-contamination? Will there be any staff to ask?

Can only talk for my wife who has a gluten allergy . The best place for lunch and dinner is the MDR . Breakfast is the buffet.

The MDR menus are marked which items are gluten free or can be made gluten free . In the buffet ask one of the supervisory chiefs what is gluten free or can be made GF quickly.

our daughter was diagnosed as celiac fairly recently, and we have taken 3 X cruises with her since then. The experience has been great. Find a maitre'd at the buffet, they will take you around and tell you what is GF and what isn't. More importantly, they will tell you how to go about getting GF pizza and bread.

Our daughter does not eat at the buffet, for fear of cross contamination. She will get GF pizza. She will also get GF bread and take it up with her to the Mast Grill to get a burger. She has been told that the burgers are all beef and the regular buns don't go on the grill.

The maître ds that we have come across have been great. If you have a question about a particular item, they will phone down to ask. I don't recall exactly what it was, but our daughter had a question about whether something was GF, the maître d called down (not sure to who exactly) and the answer came back that the item was purchased on shore(as opposed to being made on the ship) and therefore they could not be sure that it was GF.

We can accommodate most special dietary requirements in our main dining room where there is a greater degree of control over the production and service of special meals. Unfortunately, due to the limitations of the Specialty Restaurants' galleys, we cannot customize the offerings in these locations.

For special meal requests, please contact our Access Department at (866) 592-7225 or special_needs@rccl.com.

Thanks for this lengthy reply @ClaudiaB. Your words are reassuring ☺

I am also type 1 diabetic but, like you say, I feel that control of that condition is in my own hands. With coeliac I am dependent on others doing the right thing.

It's good to know that there are other options as well as the MDR.

The experience has been great. Find a maitre'd at the buffet, they will take you around and tell you what is GF and what isn't. More importantly, they will tell you how to go about getting GF pizza and bread.

I'm guessing the buffet serves up the same things each day? In which case, once I've identified which items are GF, I'm up and away. Or does the buffet vary from day to day? In which case I'd might need to speak to the maitre'd on more than one occasion.

I'm guessing the buffet serves up the same things each day? In which case, once I've identified which items are GF, I'm up and away. Or does the buffet vary from day to day? In which case I'd might need to speak to the maitre'd on more than one occasion.

Lunch items change daily and the buffet.

You can ask the maître d' if they can cook an item gluten free.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Kamloops50

I have had Celiac for close to a decade and travelled on the Summit in June - first cruise ever. I have never eaten so well! Although we weren't in the MDR, I imagine my experience is applicable as there is a single shared kitchen.

We were in Blu for our breakfasts and dinner (travelled Aqua Class). I got to see the following night's menu each evening and placed a special order - the maitre'd or hostess typed it into some kind of system which spit out a little form that they kept. They asked if I wanted gluten-free waffles or pancakes in the morning that I let them know ahead of time so they could place the order the night before. I was able to eat any item on the menu - it would just be prepared differently if it was normally with gluten. They had gluten-free toast available which was delicious and it was also available in the buffet if you asked for it. The Maitre D also put it in a standing order for a gluten-free surprise dessert which arrived every night without me even asking for it. Last night on the cruise I had both my special order AND a Creme Brûlée which is always on the menu. By day two, everyone seemed to know I was gluten-free and brought me warm gf bread without my even asking. My husband went on a tour of the galleys and they specifically mentioned the care they use in preventing cross-contamination for allergies.

The buffet was fine. There is a gluten-free emblem on the dishes that are technically gluten-free that looks like a little sheaf of wheat. There were times though where someone would have flipped a crouton in the cherry tomatoes or the servers would use a utensil in more than one dish. I mostly had salads, baked potatoes with toppings and gluten-free bread and cheese for lunches. I did have a gluten-free pizza one day - I placed the order and came back 20 minutes later. I believe it was a crust that came in it's own baking tray that they added toppings too - it was really good. There were often gluten-free desserts that ranged from jello and mousse to crustless pies. The only problem I had was asking for a slice of gluten-free pie and the women took a pie slicer from a different gluten-y pie to cut it. I asked her to use a different serving utensil that was clean as I was hyper sensitive and she was very apologetic and cut me a slice from a brand new pie. They also always had a gluten-free offering for a dessert at the cafe on board, I loved the macaroons.

I hope you have a great time! I was very impressed with the food!

I have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease 4 years ago, and we sailed on the Summit 1.5 yrs ago. It was the best experience I have ever had dealing with food on a cruise ship. And I was really worried before we sailed.

I contacted the special needs department on the Celebrity cruise website and told them of my needs. On embarkation, I went to the MDR and spoke to the Maitre D just to make sure they were aware. He told me my booking was flagged, and I would have no troubles. Every evening, I was given the menu for the next night, and I placed my order. They even made me my very own GF chocolate cake, and any time I wanted a piece I just had to ask. :) I don't know if that is the norm, but they were nice enough to do that for me.

Their GF bread is really good also. They have a special section of the kitchen specifically for food allergies. All of my meals were prepared there.

The Buffet was just as easy. All of the buffet item labels had the same symbols as the MDR menu. So I knew what was GF. You do have to watch for possible cross contamination, but I never once had a problem.

The coffee shop, also has a daily gluten free cookie option... the macaroons are wonderful.

We sailed on Carnival last December, and I wish I could say it was just as good, but it was not. I actually lost weight on that cruise. True!!! :(

We are planning our next cruise, and it will be on Celebrity because they are the best IMO at dealing with food allergies.

I hope you have the same experience that I had.

Edited by screwsmcernst

The coffee shop, also has a daily gluten free cookie option... the macaroons are wonderful.

Are the macaroons the French kind where it's like a sweet sandwich or the American with coconut? (Keeping fingers crossed it's the French kind!!!)

My wife is Celiac, and the staff in the buffet area with Celebrity are hands down the best at sea in handling GF issues. On another thread I just commented about the GF pizza, it brought tears to her eyes!

Ask and one of the Chef's in the buffet will come out and speak to you, and even walk you thru the buffet answering questions.

EW

Are the macaroons the French kind where it's like a sweet sandwich or the American with coconut? (Keeping fingers crossed it's the French kind!!!)

American style with coconut sadly as I looooooooove the French kind. But they were still really good and they had a few different flavors throughout the cruise.

American style with coconut sadly as I looooooooove the French kind. But they were still really good and they had a few different flavors throughout the cruise.

aww.... I'll still enjoy trying the different flavors.

They were the American version with coconut. Sorry.... but they really were fabulous. :D