Canadians , pro's and Con's for booking in Us or Cdn funds ?

thesawch

Looking at booking the conquest in Feb and it's 1181.42 US dollars or 1545.02 Cdn dollars . Not sure what's better to book. Any info much appreciated . Thanks

If booked in Canadian , the exchange rate won't change . It is easy to budget the cruise. In Canadian your gambling that exchange rate doesn't go down.

As of now the spot rate for that amount of US dollars is approx. 1538 Canadian, so it's pretty much even Steven. Don't forget that when you charge a US amount to a Canadian credit card, the credit card company takes a commission ( 1-3 % depending on the company on top of the exchange rate). FYI, Amazon visa is a credit card that doesn't charge this commission. However, their credit cards don't have any insurance coverage as far as I know.

We booked this cruise in CDN funds and I don't think I would do it again. The dollar bounces around and at one point this year we could have paid off the cruise and saved approx. $200, but you have to keep an eye on the dollar daily.

The other thing I found out is that you may not be eligible for all price drops, some price drops or offers are only available to US based bookings and the CDN price may not have moved.

I will be looking at the pros and cons every time I book a cruise but I prefer the USD booking for now.

Hope that helps...

We booked our cruise for Feb 2018 in US$ With that much time we have just been throwing $ on it whenever the dollar is up a few cents. I don't know how much it will save in the long run (likely not to much) but it makes you feel better paying a few hundred when the dollar is at .78 instead of .75.

We book in USD. It's just easier to do price comparisons when we're looking for price drops. We do our entire vacation budget in USD, knowing that with the fluctuation in exchange rate, we'll be paying a different price when all is said and done.

Through the year, whenever the rate is favorable, we buy American currency to use for spending money. We usually buy too much, and just tuck it away in our safe box for the next trip. This year, we don't have any currency tucked away, so we're going to have to pay whatever rate the banks are charging for our Dec 2016 trip.