Discovery is a new concept for Thomson

TUI Discovery is a new concept for Thomson but Thomson it isn't. The Thomson branding has essentially disappeared. I am still not sure what the concept is though :confused:

This is what you don't get on Discovery

Baked Alaska parade

Singing waiters

Formal night in the old sense

No lounge with classical music

Sunbed wars

A high proportion of meat and two veg! now international cuisine, if you can't stand foreign food you won't like it.

It is great, modern and relaxed. I returned from two weeks on the discovery yesterday.

Same here, I did not see you aboard ;)

They had a good program for solo cruisers hosted by the delightful Adeleine. in the fortnight we had 2 coffee mornings on sea days, 2 hosted lunches, 4 hosted dinners, both with free drinks and reserved seats in the theatre and 2 pre dinner drinks sessions in bar 11 :)

Bar flies were not much in evidence either.

I liked the new dining arrangements especially the Italian restaurant at Gallery 47. It is only open in the evening and I ate there twice. There are 2 rotating menus and it is Italian!.

Dinner starts with antipasti or whatever it is :confused: then starters and then the main course where you have a choice of pasta dishes or other Italian stuff. The deserts were lovely. I had lasagne one night, weren't the melted black plastic supermarket trays fun :D;)

If you want to try the steak and turf, book early, very early.

I heard good reports about all the dining options except from one lady who said the food was rubbish, as was the ship, just like Butlins at sea etc etc :D

I found a nice quiet cool place to have my breakfast cereal and a light salady lunch, its a secret though

ps- about prices. Discovery can be more expensive than P&O but IMO the package knocks spots of P&O's staid offerings

Edited by davecttr

Baked Alaska parade Good

Singing waiters Good

Formal night in the old sense Got fed up with it anyway!

No lounge with classical music Shame, we liked that :(

Sunbed wars Good

A high proportion of meat and two veg! now international cuisine, if you can't stand foreign food you won't like it I don't remember many vegetables Dave, usually one piece of brocolli and a few undercooked carrots!

Will let you know my opinion when I go in September :)

TUI Discovery is a new concept for Thomson but Thomson it isn't. The Thomson branding has essentially disappeared. I am still not sure what the concept is though :confused:

Baked Alaska parade

Singing waiters

Formal night in the old sense

No lounge with classical music

Sunbed wars

A high proportion of meat and two veg! now international cuisine, if you can't stand foreign food you won't like it.

I think you've hit the nail on the head and that's maybe why I enjoyed the Discovery so much - Thomson Cruises were all getting a bit "samey" with the Baked Alaska Parade, Singing Waiters, Formal Night etc etc etc

I do like Formal night but have been on other ships which do it better than Thomson - ie not huge, winding queues to get into the showlounge or being hounded by photographers, pretty much unlimited complimentary drinks flowing, lovely Canapes, introduction & thanks for the lesser known staff such as the Engineering Team, Laundry, Room Stewards, Waiters as well as the Officers so actually I did like the new "Dress to Impress Night" on Discovery.

Loved all the waiter service restaurants on the Discovery, particularly the Italian.

What did you think of the Evening Shows, Dave?

Edited by Julessmiles

Food for me on the Discovery

Islands( buffet)...very good,plenty to choose from with a carvery every night from four birds,veal and duck

MDR 47...although service was slow food was excellent,three faultless courses

47(Italian)...Service spot on and again excellent food

Snack Shack...Must say the fish and chips were very good,so much so was my afternoon staple diet

I did a review but when I came to post it on here was asked to log in again( was already logged in)and lost it and don't have time or patience to do it again so will post in bits and bobs where relevant

My take on the evening shows

Tribute to The Stars I thought was brilliant,one of the best shows we,ve seen on our cruises.Now I,m not certain but sure they said it was a one off show or that it was a first

Comedian Carl Schofield who was saw twice was brilliant and prob the best comedian we have seen on our cruises

The rest of the shows we didn,t go to as didn,t float our boat,Broadway,West End

Entertainment in and are one the shop was very good

Edited by Jim The Scot