Coffee makers in staterooms?

jayl65

Hi everyone, Im addicted to great coffee and am taking a cruise on the Mercury in Feb. Does the Mercury have coffee makers in the staterooms. I would like to bring my own beans and grinder so I can make my own in the room. If not, can I request one in my room?

Thanks Jamie

I don't know for a "fact" that they don't allow you to bring your own, but I DO know they REALLY advise against irons, so I personally would not do it! BUT, the above poster is right, the coffee drinks in the Cova are wonderful! :D

No, they do not provide coffeemakers in your cabin. Have never brought one on board but have used my melitta cone with my own coffee and hot water either from room service or the buffet area to brew my own. Have also heard of others who use a french press in the same way. Good luck...in general the free coffee on board most ships/lines is mediocre at best IMHO.

I'm with you regarding good coffee. We brought a small French press on our last cruise, (along with our yummy coffee) and used the ship's hot water. That seemed to work quite well; I think that's your best bet.

You know, I am surprised. Everyone proposes to cruise Celebrity because of "their standards"!

Now, I just wonder how many of you REALLY brew your own coffee, grind your own beans & actually DRINK your own coffee!

There are SO many coffee critics here, but are you really????? Is Celebrity's coffee so bad?? Last I heard, they served Cafe Britt. We have ordered that brand via internet for years! Their Colombian blend is wonderful. I believe the taste is all in the brewing! They don't make it stronge enough on the ships!

Coffeee is sooooo subjective now-a days, just enjoy!

Rosie, your right about coffee being subjective...What's bitter to one person, is full bodied to another...I personally feel that fresh ground beans are the only way to go.

The Cova Cafe has a blend that's very good. The Diningroom coffee comes close, and the Buffet a distant 3rd.

I've never brought a coffee maker, Melita, etc. onboard...I need my suitcase room for SHOES....

We all have our priorities in life...

Karyn

In response to JNLRose, the last cruise we were on (where we took our French press) was RCI's Splendour of the Seas - and yes, the coffee was THAT bad. Our first cruise on Celebrity isn't until next year, and we probably won't take the French press b/c of the Cova Cafe coffee that is available.

And as far as grinding my own beans, no we simply take pre-ground coffee. I even do this in hotels; we have a stash of mini Starbucks coffee pods specifically for hotel coffee makers, and we brew that in hotels that have lower quality "generic" coffee. So yes, we are THAT bad about it. :o ....And we LOVE it....:D

As fellow coffeeholics, we have found the room service coffee to be way less than desirable. We have, however, come up with a solution, which we utilize on every cruise. Room service is requestd, to send one XTRA STRONG caraf of coffee, and one caraf of boiling water. This is then mixed, to achieve the desired strength coffee. Workable solution, until we can get showered and dressed and appear at the breakfast table!

We, also, asked the question of whether or not we could bring a small coffee maker aboard. Not advisable, was the response, from Celebrity.

Have a great cruise!

I'm with you regarding good coffee. We brought a small French press on our last cruise, (along with our yummy coffee) and used the ship's hot water. That seemed to work quite well; I think that's your best bet.

We also took a French Press and our own ground coffee and oredered hot water and cream and sugar from room service. The pot of water was the right amount for our french press. If room service sounds confused ask for a pot of tea and don't use the teabags.

I've found room service coffee to be spotty at best, and the coffee in the lido cafe about the same.

On our August Princess cruise, and again on our Summit Mexico cruise, this year we bought a real cheap coffee maker (9.00 at Target) and brought some good coffee, filters and mugs - and a couple travel mugs to take coffee up on deck when we wanted. It's great to have a good pot of coffee every morning and some afternoons. I didn't bother with grinder, I got a couple bags of my favorite coffee (usually buy beans too) pre-ground at the vendor just before we left. We just left the coffee makers as we needed the space on the plane back. I felt a little guilty generating the extra garbage, but the cost was minimal. On the Summit cruise room was tight - but we slid the TV over a few inches and coffee maker fit right there. There was an extra plug behind TV too.

Yes the coffee in the cova is fine. And it's great if I want an espresso or latte mid afternoon, or one of those great coffee drinks in the evening. But I really want a pot of GOOD coffee in my room in the morning.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am really spoiled as I buy a local roasted coffee, and grind it myself. I also use all commercial equipment in my home including a full blown commercial espresso machine and grinder with all the accesories. I know this is excessive but it's a hobby and I am probably addicted. As much the the ritual of making it myself to the actual coffee. Another concern I have is the barista, locally it's hard to find anyone capable of producing a great cup. Then again, they are usually young kids who really don't take the time to do it correctly or have probably never been trained. I'm sure onboard they will have a competent, well trained staff. I guess finally, if I can't make it for 10 days without making my own coffe then I got a problem. :) I may have to break down and buy a cheap auto drip .

Ahhhhh....... Cafe Britt! The good stuff that puts Starbucks to shame!

Jamie, I think the suggestion of a French press is a great one if you want a better cup of coffee. If you go that route, since you grind your own beans, test out various grinds to get the right one. I've always heard that the grind should be coarser than what you put into a drip coffee maker. Any French press lovers hear that? What's your take on it?

Anita

You know, I am surprised. Everyone proposes to cruise Celebrity because of "their standards"!

Now, I just wonder how many of you REALLY brew your own coffee, grind your own beans & actually DRINK your own coffee!

There are SO many coffee critics here, but are you really????? Is Celebrity's coffee so bad?? Last I heard, they served Cafe Britt. We have ordered that brand via internet for years! Their Colombian blend is wonderful. I believe the taste is all in the brewing! They don't make it stronge enough on the ships!

Coffeee is sooooo subjective now-a days, just enjoy!

Read somewhere just recently that it is a new coffee called "Fresh BREW"

If that's what they server on the Summit in Alaska this summer it was not that bad.

Note to who ever said it was liquid concentrate - that was true a few years a go - no longer on either RCCL or Celebrity.

Cafe Britt Costa Rican Tarazzu or Tres Rios is even better and at 20 bags for $99 if you are on board it is a really good deal - not to bad at $129 even if you arent on board

Archived