hotel in Brooklyn

harpy3

Hi harpy3. I was just reading about this new Holiday Inn in Downtown Brooklyn, about a 10 minute cab ride to the pier. While I don't know anything about the hotel other than what I've read, it does look like an interesting alternative. Details here: http://www.dexigner.com/news/29060 and http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/brooklyn/lgabr/hoteldetail

Edited by Salacia

There is also the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge which will be more expensive than the Holiday Inn. Stayed there once before a QM2 TA and loved the location near the famous Brooklyn brownstone homes and near to good restaurants. Easy to get a taxi or driver to the pier in the morning.

We love Brooklyn, and the rest of the world is discovering it. Downtown Brooklyn has lots of places to dine and more and more hotels. We have stayed at the Aloft before boarding the QM2 and were happy with our small but chic room & good service. In October we will stay at the Dazzler, which looks good on the Web. We will return in December on the QM2 and will have a day before we fly to a family Christmas from JFK Airport, so we will probably stay in Brooklyn again. Haven't yet shopped for that hotel. There is great subway service to downtown Brooklyn, so friends may meet up with us for dinner that night. Hotel prices in Brooklyn are lower than Manhattan, and travel times via cab much quicker to and from the Cunard Red Hook terminal.

• 3 weeks later...
We love Brooklyn, and the rest of the world is discovering it. Downtown Brooklyn has lots of places to dine and more and more hotels. We have stayed at the Aloft before boarding the QM2 and were happy with our small but chic room & good service. In October we will stay at the Dazzler, which looks good on the Web. We will return in December on the QM2 and will have a day before we fly to a family Christmas from JFK Airport, so we will probably stay in Brooklyn again. Haven't yet shopped for that hotel. There is great subway service to downtown Brooklyn, so friends may meet up with us for dinner that night. Hotel prices in Brooklyn are lower than Manhattan, and travel times via cab much quicker to and from the Cunard Red Hook terminal.

Heads up on the Dazzler: Its location is on a very trafficked bridge off-ramp, and backed up by a very busy urban highway.

The options a touch further south are better: Aloft, Sheraton, the new Holiday Inn*, and the new Even (a IHG brand). Small difference, but I prefer that are over where the Marriott is- close to more shops, restaurants and see what on at BAM the night you're there.

*NOT the Holiday Inn Express on Union.

I'll be staying in an air bnb in Brooklyn for the next week before Aug. 9 TA. I go to Brooklyn several times a year. If you can afford it, the Wythe Hotel in Williamsburg is really nice. It has an amazing roof top deck with views of Manhattan.

After doing a lot of research I chose Aloft in Brooklyn for my overnight stay before cruising - and you really need to do the overnight, it removes all the stress of trying to make a same day departure.

The hotel is only a 15 to 20 minute drive from the docks depending on traffic and it was very clean and modern - most important of all it has a 100% bed bug free rating, something that is absolutely critical to check when staying in New York (there is even a website set up for this purpose). I thought the rate was amazingly good for just over $120 (I think I got lucky with some type of reduced price) and I enjoyed a nice meal from room service before settling in for a great night's sleep. The next day reception organized a really nice car service to take me to the docks, not just some awful NYC taxi, it was a fantastic way to start the trip.

After doing a lot of research I chose Aloft in Brooklyn for my overnight stay before cruising - and you really need to do the overnight, it removes all the stress of trying to make a same day departure.

The hotel is only a 15 to 20 minute drive from the docks depending on traffic and it was very clean and modern - most important of all it has a 100% bed bug free rating, something that is absolutely critical to check when staying in New York (there is even a website set up for this purpose). I thought the rate was amazingly good for just over $120 (I think I got lucky with some type of reduced price) and I enjoyed a nice meal from room service before settling in for a great night's sleep. The next day reception organized a really nice car service to take me to the docks, not just some awful NYC taxi, it was a fantastic way to start the trip.

Winchester Ranger makes an excellent point regarding the potential problem of bed bugs.

Check a bed bug registry website before booking (and re-check just before checking in). http://registry.bedbugs.net or http://www.bedbugreports.com or http://bedbugregistry.com/search/

It's not just a nuisance in less-expensive or less-desirable hotels, but there are certainly accommodations without bedbugs.

DH and I have gotten in the habit of pulling back sheets and mattress pads for an inspection, whenever we travel, in addition to checking the registry.

Bedbugs are not the kind of souvenir any of us want to take home (ever) !!!

Edited by jimmybean

.... The next day reception organized a really nice car service to take me to the docks, not just some awful NYC taxi, it was a fantastic way to start the trip.

My wife and I are staying at Aloft for two nights before we sail back to Southampton. How easy was it to organise the car service? It sounds very convenient.

My wife and I are staying at Aloft for two nights before we sail back to Southampton. How easy was it to organise the car service? It sounds very convenient.

Car service will be simple. The front desk should know who covers the area best, and call for you. 15 minutes tops before you're in the car.

Just ask at reception. I didn't specifically ask for a car service (in the US "car service" denotes a guy in a suit and tie holding a clipboard with your name on it - usually at the airport), I just asked for a "nice car" and they arranged a really nice new Buick SUV complete with leather seats and a driver in a suit - I think it was $45 and the guy was so nice on the ride over I gave him 60 bucks - well worth it. After my nightmarish ride from JFK to the hotel it was a delight, I will never ever ride in a NYC yellow cab again. I'm shaky on that price, but you get the idea.

As for the bed bugs thing - if they get into your luggage and hitch a ride home with you it can literally render your house uninhabitable, and New York is ground zero for bed bugs. Always try and book a newer hotel and always check the registry.