Cruise Insurance with Pre-existing medical condition

I have existing conditions and I use Worldcare. I pay an extra premium to insure for those conditions. If you are relatively stable (health wise), think and enquirer about insurance to cover accidents only and the assorted others eg lost luggage etc.

Good luck hope you can still continue to travel, sometimes it is the only medicine that makes you feel better.

Thanks for that will make enquirers. I think my problem is that I had a claim for $100,000 USD for the pacemaker so no one wants to take the chance I will have another claim.

Either way - I keep on cruising but always have a check up a couple of weeks out and would not go if advised not to do so.

Excuse me asking but did you have to have the pacemaker inserted whilst on a trip so you had to claim on insurance? Asking because I have a pacemaker ( for 6 years) and usually only have to pay around $100 extra to be covered.

Tara Jane - do you have APS? Just been diagnosed with that and SLE. Thinking of using Insure and go. I have plugged in all the pre existings and they are covered for an extra $150 ish.

Triple J - diagnosis at last 6 months after DVT. And can now OFFICIALLY travel. On blood thinners.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My experience with travel insurance has been good and bad - but as someone posted above - get insurance for what you can and so you do have some cover perhaps not for all your pre-existing problems.

What is the alternative - stay at home - not likely. If prior to travel. I did not feel up to it - I would not go and accept the loss.

I do wonder though, if you break a leg, end up in a USA hospital (or any overseas hospital) and then as a result, have heart complications (which say are pre-existing) just what will your cover be???

Some years ago I spent four days in a New Jersey public hospital, fortunately after a cruise - for a pre-existing heart condition (which I had cover for) - cost $130,000 for four days.

It took three years to get the account paid, the hospital sold the debt to a "debt collector" in Switzerland which added to the complications of getting it sorted out. In the end I was getting phone calls in the early morning demanding payment and summons issued almost monthly threatening to sell me up etc in order to get the payment made.

I won't mention the insurance company here but it is one of the biggest in Australia for all types of insurance.

It is about time insurance companies give us a fair go.

Since then have had an artificial aorta valve fitted so with a previous claim, pacemaker and valve I have yet to find any insurance cover at all for pre-existing heart conditions and I have tried many.

It is a real problem for many of us who are getting older and love to travel and are at a time in our lives where we have the means to do so.

Hi Shrekaus - I think the above will answer your question.

At the time (in 2008) I was aware that one day I would need to have a pacemaker fitted but it came as a bit of a shock when I started to have turns just after getting off the ship in Vancouver and it got worse by the time we got to New York. The hospital there also wanted to replace the aorta valve as well but I told them to just do what they had to do so I could get home. Hate to think what that would have cost and I could not fly for three months after.

Hi Shrekaus - I think the above will answer your question.

At the time (in 2008) I was aware that one day I would need to have a pacemaker fitted but it came as a bit of a shock when I started to have turns just after getting off the ship in Vancouver and it got worse by the time we got to New York. The hospital there also wanted to replace the aorta valve as well but I told them to just do what they had to do so I could get home. Hate to think what that would have cost and I could not fly for three months after.

Sorry must be me but still not clear, not that I guess it makes much difference, so your got your pacemaker in New York?

Sorry must be me but still not clear, not that I guess it makes much difference, so your got your pacemaker in New York?

Yes, it was fitted in a New Jersy public hospital just over thr river from NYC.