Are there many vendors at port?

thefamilycruisers

I have a friend asking if there are many vendors on the dock in the Alaska ports.

We always book our excursions in advance so I haven't really noticed.

Can anyone tell me if they have booked an excursion after getting off the ship. Were there many options?

Thanks.

Yes, there are vendors selling excursions at the ports. Some even offered lower prices for excursions in the next port.

Juneau was 7:00am--3:00pm and Ketchikan was only 7-1:00pm. Those stops are too short so you really need to have a good idea what you want to do.

Yes in all ports. In Ketchikan they are in a building located on the center of the main dock downtown., Juneau in small booths around the Mt Roberts tram parking lot and in Skagway there is a small building as you come off the Princess dock and some small store fronts downtown.

If they are interesting in getting into the air or dog sledding I'd book in advance as they sell out fast. They should at least have an idea about what they want to see before arrival so they don't waste valuable port time.

Perhaps the question is where can they be found?

Juneau- kiosks are next to the tram parking lot/visitor center, by the library- there are also kiosks set up- and a small visitor booth, when a ship is in port.

Skagway, there is a shelter with tours at the ship docks.

Ketchikan, there are a few vendors at both dock 3 and 4, and a main vendor kiosk at the visitor center- inside and outside the building.

LIMITED tours are available. Ketchikan- does have a good supply of walk up float planes- only port that does have this type of flight seeing booking availability.

There are now and oversupply of Juneau whale watch vendors, so if you don't care who you go with, you can get lower cost tours. There can be huge differences with tours- generally, the "cheap" tours are going to be short- which means- the less you see. TIME is a significant factor with wildlife, longer, always equals more whether it's scenery of wildlife. Skagway- has a good supply of various bus runs up the klondike Highway, It's not as available for the combo Emerald Lake rail combo tours. Verify WHERE the tour goes and KNOW, the differences in areas.

With this type of "plan", you really need to be off the ship and looking right after the ship clears, to offer you the most availability.

The booking ahead to the next port- is most likely going to be a "booking agent" factor. Who is booking is getting a commission, and NOT operating the tour. It can work out fine- but you may want to determine WHO the vendor is. Alternatively- it is always superior to book direct and getting factual accurate descriptions and information.

Perhaps the question is where can they be found?

I've only sailed Princess to Alaska for a while but would guess there are more by the other Skagway piers also

Juneau they are on both sides of the Tram and I've also seen them down near the Red Dog Saloon .

Ketchikan they are inside the Visitor Center

I wouldn't worry to much about finding them. there will be people on the street trying to sell you tours everywhere when you get off the ship