Shore excursions from Pride of America

Newcruisers5

We will be sailing on the Pride of America in October and wanted to take a Pacific Whale Foundation cruise that starts at 7am in Maui. As this is an overnight port, are we allowed to leave the ship at 6am? Has anyone been on this cruise and offer more info/review of it?

Also, we are are an Aussie family and will be travelling throughout the USA and finishing up with the POA cruise. Can I please get some advice on tipping throughout the USA? What is standard practice and what services do we tip for? I haven't been to the US since I was a teenager (20 years ago!) and I imagine things are a bit different from when I was last there!

We will be sailing on the Pride of America in October and wanted to take a Pacific Whale Foundation cruise that starts at 7am in Maui. As this is an overnight port, are we allowed to leave the ship at 6am? Has anyone been on this cruise and offer more info/review of it?

Also, we are are an Aussie family and will be travelling throughout the USA and finishing up with the POA cruise. Can I please get some advice on tipping throughout the USA? What is standard practice and what services do we tip for? I haven't been to the US since I was a teenager (20 years ago!) and I imagine things are a bit different from when I was last there!

20% of the bill at restaurants and bars, subject to lowering down to 10% dependent upon service is how I tip. Majority of meals end up in the 15-18% range.

Cabs I tip 15% unless they perform a small miracle for me, that would be getting me to the airport on time when I'm running late, or if it is raining they pull into a garage or under some type of cover to keep me dry. Then I will tip 20% or more.

Luggage valets $2-$5 depending on bags. Nothing if they suddenly appear when I'm just about done lugging my bag around. This usually happens when you call a cab, get your bags out to the curb yourself, the cab driver has popped the trunk and gotten out to help you load them, then 'POOF' luggage valet shows up and puts them in trunk. I give them a thanks, because I'm not rewarding that behavior.

Hi We are booked for that shore excursion as well for our October 22 POA cruise! We plan on leaving the ship at 545AM because we will walk to get to our car and the check in for the trip is at 630 in maalena. We intend on parking somewhere near the mall. It appears to be a similar trip as the cruise line but it was a lot cheaper. Molokai Crater & Turtletown are the itinerary. It says that it has a light breakfast and lunch for the 5 hour trip. I think we will be there October 24! Hate the thought of leaving that early but since we are from the east coast i imagine we will be wide awake by 300AM! because of the 6 hour time difference.

Hi We are booked for that shore excursion as well for our October 22 POA cruise! We plan on leaving the ship at 545AM because we will walk to get to our car and the check in for the trip is at 630 in maalena. We intend on parking somewhere near the mall.

Just curious where you are thinking of parking that is "near the mall"?

Hi, you may have to park at the airport overnight, which is what we had to do in May. We used the rental car shuttle to get back to the Port Sunday night and a 24 hour cab service to pick us up at the Mall and drive us to the AP early Monday morning (to see the sunrise on Haleakala). Confirm with the Car Rental companies what time the shuttles run on Monday AM, but you may need a cab!

Hi We are booked for that shore excursion as well for our October 22 POA cruise! We plan on leaving the ship at 545AM[/quote

df5250 is correct, so do note you will have to leave the ship earlier than 5:45 A.M. to walk to the mall, meet a cab to go to the airport, get your car and drive to Maalaea.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts