Rhapsody of the Seas solarium. Is it climate controlled?

I will be sailing on Dec. 1 and from what I have read, the solarium pool and hot tubs are covered by a retractable dome. For those of you who have sailed on her, do you know if it is climate controlled so I can lounge out there in my male bikini briefs without the fear of getting cold?

We cruised over Thanksgiving week and it was breezy and cool outside bu the inside pool is nice and warm because the sun comes in through the glass and they must keep it climate controlled. Enjoy!

Thanks for the quick response. Did you swim? what was the pool/hottub like? My wife and I would really like to lay out by the pool and relax. I just didn't know if that was possible in December.

1. I am refraining from any comment about the mankini, as I have made my opinions on Speedos more than evident in other threads!!

2. Me and DH took the Rhapsody in January (new years cruise) 2004 and were in the pool and hot tub in the solarium more than anywhere else-not so much because it was cold, but because the hot tubs outside were so crowded, but we almost always had the inside tub to ourselves!!!

The solarium is my favorite place on the Rhapsody!!

Have a great time. Watch out for those wild Texuns!!!

2. Me and DH took the Rhapsody in January (new years cruise) 2004 and were in the pool and hot tub in the solarium more than anywhere else-not so much because it was cold, but because the hot tubs outside were so crowded, but we almost always had the inside tub to ourselves!!!

I will make sure to do both when I am on her in December - try out the Solarium and watch out for those Texans.

1. I am refraining from any comment about the mankini, as I have made my opinions on Speedos more than evident in other threads!!

Thanks ElvisandTracy!

SO are you saying that the solarium is climate controlled? I will be able to lay out on a chair by the pool in December with no problem? Sorry if you feel like you have to repeat yourself - I'm a checker with OCD problems. :)

Here's the thing-you may be laying out at a pool, but they may have the roof closed, but the sun still shines thru the glass-it's not like laying outside on a sunny day (not that hot) , but it isn't too cold, or too hot, and its great if it starts to rain, you're still dry-

so I doubt this would be a great place to work on your tan, but you will be comfortable!!!

I remember that me and DH loved the solarium for reading, playing cards or dominos, or swimming and soaking in the hot tub-also a great photo location-lots of Egyptian looking statues-I have my favorite photo in my bathroom of me and DH sitting in front of a Cleopatra -looking-statue in the Rhapsody solarium-

Hope that helps!

jefffromdallas

The solarium was our favorite place as well. The climate control was secondary. The no kids and no smoking was primary.

The weather should be fine by the main pool in early December, you can use the solarium as back up.

but they never end up removing the dome. The Solarium is always covered. It's usually quite warm. I don't think it's exactly "climate-controlled" (then again, I do museum work where everything has to be within a 5 degree range for temperature and humidity, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask! climate control is something different to me), but it's definitely warm. I personally don't like it because the smell of chlorine is pretty overwhelming, but you would get used to it. It's an adults-only pool, so probably the better choice for speedos.

However, the outside pool should be quite pleasant this time of year, too, aside from perhaps the first and last days as you leave and return to Galveston. I cruised last year Dec. 5-12 and we had lovely warm weather all week, except for when we left Galveston (too cold) and the first sea day (jsut too windy to enjoy being outside).

The solarium roof opened for days at sea on both cruises my family took on the Rhapsody this year. The roof was only about 3/4 open, but it was very nice.

The pool also has a water jet that pushes you away from the stairs in the pool and that water is cool! The pool water is also cool, but after a while it felt great.

The wings of the solarium have a/c vents in the celing, and the chairs near the windows have some cool airflow. The loungers near the pool are warmer.

Agree with all the other posts about this being a great place to be on the ship... a nice hot tub, no hairy chest or belly flop contest and some decent french fries are right there. We spent 7 hours in the solarium this summer and it was quite nice.

Galveston is also home to the Splendour for a few months a year, and because RCCL installed the mini-golf course the roof will no longer open on her. That is a great ship as well, with minor cosmetic differences to the Rhapsody.

Take a Mp3 player like an iPod, a good book, some sunglasses and enjoy the vacation.

Archived