Single Parent with 3 kids - advice

I was a Single Parent and took my 3 kids (set of twins too) when they were growing up on cruises. My kids loved it. The one thing I recommend is not to do the dive if every one can't participate. You as the adult can do that anytime. It is not safe to plan something else for the 12 year old and 16 year old daughter. Do not leave them onboard without you. I have been to Grand Cayman more times than I can count. Instead of the planned dive, why not take a snorkel tour where you can all participate instead? They go over the same ship wreck you will see on the dive. Everyone will see some amazing fish and no one will feel excluded.

For Jamaica, there are many things to choose from. Climbing Dunn's River Falls is something my kids liked to do. There are so many options. I suggest coming up with a list of choices and let them help with making the decision.

An upgrade will not help lesson the cabin size issue. Usually the upgrades are a different location. With only one adult, your only option for a bigger cabin is booking a family size one.

This is way I would play it- you have it down pat. It will be a fun day! And yes, the dive can be done later, but the cruise memories will last forever.

Royal allows guests under 21 to be booked in their own stateroom if that stateroom is next to or across the hall from the parents. This cannot be done online, it must be called in.

True. But it still ties to a cabin with 2 adults. It is the same scenario as the parents with 3 kids in a connected cabin. It is not a single parent tied to 2 cabins.

I couldn't do it when my kids were young as a single parent. Just curious if single parents can do that now.

Looks like an absolute wealth of information here, but I found the search page result lacking... So I'm hoping y'all can answer a couple questions.

First off I love Cruising my first was years ago RCCL eastern Caribbean and it was the best trip I've ever taken.

This is my second trip, but I'm going this one alone with my 3 kids (B-12, G-16, B-16).

I've read a bunch, researched some more, booked an excursion, setup some things for onboard. But I'm trying to figure out some details on an excursion on Jamaica, and what my options are in Grand Cayman.

1st, Jamaica. I've read some bad reviews on the Chukka Tours site and that their ATV/Dune Buggies are not that great. I'm trying to decide if the price jump is worth it. Ultimate Thrill Seeker is $164/each for all four of us, vs. Basic thrill seeker which is $109/Adult, $79/child. The only difference is the ATVs and lunch is paid for.

2nd, Grand Cayman. My son and I are the only one's Scuba Certified. We are planning on doing the wreck dive and a beach dive, what are the options for my daughter and other son.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dave

P.S. Do they still do room upgrades based on availability, or not anymore? I've a feeling we're going to be cramped 4 in one room.

Upgrades are a thing of the past when you board.

As long as the parent/s are across or next to their children then no adult needed in their room. We haven't sailed with our grandson, but should our granddaughter cruise with us, I advised her she would need a permission letter from her boyfriend, although they are not together anymore. In addition to that, she would need to bring all documents to prove relationship, as her son carries the last name of her one time boyfriend ( father ) while his mother has her maiden name.

True. But it still ties to a cabin with 2 adults. It is the same scenario as the parents with 3 kids in a connected cabin. It is not a single parent tied to 2 cabins.

I couldn't do it when my kids were young as a single parent. Just curious if single parents can do that now.

I will be traveling next fall with my 3 dd's and we have two cabins next to each other, not connected. I did have to call but was able to reserve the rooms with no problem. I will be with the 14 yo and the 16 & 17 yo will have the room next door. It wasn't even an issue when I asked. They even said if they couldn't find two rooms next to or across from each other they could be a few rooms down. I reserved early enough that wasn't an issue.

I would not feel comfortable letting my 12 and 16 go off in a foreign country on an excursion without a parent period. Maybe I would be okay leaving them on the ship if they promised to stick together that day and not leave the ship.

Can you all go snorkeling together? There are lots of great companies in Grand Cayman.

If they stay on the ship they can't get off. They won't let minors off without a parent.

I will be traveling next fall with my 3 dd's and we have two cabins next to each other, not connected. I did have to call but was able to reserve the rooms with no problem. I will be with the 14 yo and the 16 & 17 yo will have the room next door. It wasn't even an issue when I asked. They even said if they couldn't find two rooms next to or across from each other they could be a few rooms down. I reserved early enough that wasn't an issue.

Great news. Glad they changed the policy. Thanks for sharing your experience.

We had no issue putting the kids 9 & 11 across the hall from the adults. Could not be done online, but RCCL booked it no problem.