Haleakala sunrise tour?

Cruiseoholic000

I am looking into a Haleakala sunrise tour. I was all set with Roberts but then found out that because of the van size it does not go to the summit. I don't know if this is a bad thing or not. NCL has a tour for $125 but thought if I went with some other company it might be cheaper. Does anyone have any recommendations on tours that do go the summit?

Edited by Cruiseoholic000

I am looking into a Haleakala sunrise tour. I was all set with Roberts but then found out that because of the van size it does not go to the summit. I don't know if this is a bad thing or not. NCL has a tour for $125 but thought if I went with some other company it might be cheaper. Does anyone have any recommendations on tours that do go the summit?

We are doing something a bit different with Adventure Maui. It is a downhill bike ride from the summit. They pick us up at 7am and drive us to the summit and then they provide the appropriate weather gear and we have a tour on bikes down the mountain stopping for photos. We get back to the ship around 2:30.

They did have the sunrise tour with a pickup at 3am but we did not want to wreck the rest of the day by being too tired.

There are plenty of independent companies that do this...unfortunately, I can't remember who we used! But, I don't know why a van wouldn't go to the top...buses do! And it's COLD...really COLD...so bundle up! I think it was 29 F when we were there...and windy!!! Very uncomfortably cold!

We were picked up at 4am....or thereabouts....after sunrise, we bussed back down the mountain and stopped for breakfast at a neat restaurant....

We did Temptation Tours back in 2013 and it was so amazing.

We were picked up around 2am and one of the first groups up there.Small tour group (about 6 or 8) and wonderful guide.

We totally underestimated just how cold it was,we went in September.

So worth the cost.

The first stop is the Visitors Center with gift shop. Continuing on from there, a short drive is the Summit where you actually have views to the inside of the crater. There is a building there as well. A few hundred feet higher is another parking lot with another look off and nothing other than a parking lot. I wonder if this "not going to the summit" is a misunderstanding with Roberts. What would be the point if they don't get you to the summit?

From the parking lot at the Summit, there is a short trail to the buildings and the look off areas. We have never done a sunrise there, but I would think this would be the spot. I wonder if the Robert's info is trying to convey that a short walk is involved? I would call them for further clarification.

I wonder if it is a misunderstanding on my part. Apparently, Roberts has three tours to Haleakala. I wonder if the general day tour doesn't go to the summit but the other two do?

We are doing something a bit different with Adventure Maui. It is a downhill bike ride from the summit. They pick us up at 7am and drive us to the summit and then they provide the appropriate weather gear and we have a tour on bikes down the mountain stopping for photos. We get back to the ship around 2:30.

They did have the sunrise tour with a pickup at 3am but we did not want to wreck the rest of the day by being too tired.

Are you sure the ride down is from the Summit? I have read, more than once, that since 2007 the Park Service does not allow these tours to start at the Summit parking lot due to safety concerns. The tour takes you up to view the sunrise, and then you descend a ways, get prepped and start the ride down. According to MauiGuidebook.com, this cuts out a significant part of the ride and the views. You may still feel it is worthwhile, but just wanted you to know your are apparently not starting from the summit.

We just did the Haleakala sunrise with Roberts in May. After the sunrise they drove us to the carpark at the summit and we walked the little way from there to the summit point and lookout. Really, it isn't that far from the visitor centre and you could probably walk it in 5-10 minutes.

I wonder if it is a misunderstanding on my part. Apparently, Roberts has three tours to Haleakala. I wonder if the general day tour doesn't go to the summit but the other two do?

Maybe, but still odd to me as the views into the crater are worth seeing no matter the time of day. The summit view does sometimes get obscured by clouds later in the day, so perhaps this is the reason? I'd call and ask.

If you had a rental car, this is doable on your own. The only problematic part is where to park your rental overnight now that the Port in Maui provides no overnight parking. There is parking at the airport near the rental office, a short walk, but you need a taxi to get there. I read a report recently where the sun risers had a taxi meet them at Maui Mall, a short walk away, for a ride to the airport lot. Some park overnight at the Maui Mall in the drug store lot, but some tows have been reported from there. Recently someone said they spoke to mall lot security about the tow situation, and they were told it would be ok if they left a mall receipt on the dash.

The reason we like to drive it on our own is that the journey there is as great, if no more so, than the summit itself. The drive through upcountry is truly beautiful. There are some wonderful panoramic pull outs on the way up to the crater with views of the Maui Central Valley. The whole area has many things to see and do, Lavender farms, gardens, wineries, side trips to Pa'ia and Mama's Fish House, if you are free from the constraints of a tour.

Edited by punkincc

Are you sure the ride down is from the Summit? I have read, more than once, that since 2007 the Park Service does not allow these tours to start at the Summit parking lot due to safety concerns. The tour takes you up to view the sunrise, and then you descend a ways, get prepped and start the ride down. According to MauiGuidebook.com, this cuts out a significant part of the ride and the views. You may still feel it is worthwhile, but just wanted you to know your are apparently not starting from the summit.

Sorry for the misinformation. They take you up to the summit which is around 10,000 feet to walk around and then proceed downhill and we start the bike tour at 6700 feet.

Thank you everyone for the clarification. I did contact Roberts ( do they go to the summit or near the summit) and they said "YES. 10,000 FEET LEVEL." I guess if they don't drop me off at the summit I could walk. A 5 to 10 minute walk might not be a bad thing especially if I am cold.

577009678_ScreenShot2016-07-23at12_15_38PM.jpg.84aa70607d61672d919ccad293c69d5f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We used Maui Sunriders when in Maui 5 years ago. The sunrise tour was great. There was even a local doing a chant at the top during the sunrise. Something you only see once in your lifetime. They then drove us down to the starting point for our ride back. This group you go at your own speed and stop where you want. You can read my review in my signature!

I will have to look into this van Haleakala tour. Do they offer pick up from the cruise pier? I don't see the link in your signature.

We used Maui Sunriders when in Maui 5 years ago. The sunrise tour was great. There was even a local doing a chant at the top during the sunrise. Something you only see once in your lifetime. They then drove us down to the starting point for our ride back. This group you go at your own speed and stop where you want. You can read my review in my signature!

I will have to look into this van Haleakala tour. Do they offer pick up from the cruise pier? I don't see the link in your signature.

They do not pick up at the pier.

From my e-mail response Maui Sunriders only does bike tours.

I also emailed them about the van tour and they still have it. It is also on their website.

We actually took a taxi from the ship to the store rather than arranging through the company. On the way home, we wandered down the street and caught the bus back to the ship (a short walk) for only $1-2. We were in Maui overnight that trip and went out to the taxi que the night prior and asked someone to come back and get us at 2am to bring us to Paia. She was there right when she was supposed to be!

• 5 months later...

I realize this thread hasn't had any activity in a while, however, I see you are getting ready to head out on your Hawaiian adventure in less than a week. What did you decide about the Haleakala bike tour? We did this on our last trip to Hawaii in 2007 and used Adventure Maui, they were great. We are going to head back again in August and was looking for recent info on this tour and found your post.

Anyway, hope you have a great trip and if you chose to do the Haleakala tour, I'd love to hear your experience when you return.

Safe travels.