Coffee Maker In Staterooms??

RJake1

I'm not going to get into it further about the risk/reward of coffee makers, but what you've said above is not quite right. Balconies are not a fire hazard. Having balconies where the fire zone boundary does not extend to the outboard edge of the balcony is a fire hazard, but this has been addressed by statute, since the Star Princess fire. Opening balcony dividers is a fire hazard, since it allows unrestricted passage of a fire from one cabin to the next. But, again, the balcony, per se, is not a fire hazard, any more than any other open deck area of the ship.

Ok I get that and I value your expertise opinion. Does the stagard balcony of the grand class ships provide any additional problems since the D deck is totally exposed and the C deck half exposed? so anything there can go upward? Just curious.

Ok I get that and I value your expertise opinion. Does the stagard balcony of the grand class ships provide any additional problems since the D deck is totally exposed and the C deck half exposed? so anything there can go upward? Just curious.

No. Since the Star Princess, all balcony furnishings and construction elements must either be fire retardant, or there must be a sprinkler installed on the balcony. Either condition will act to slow the spread of a fire. While each deck is constructed to slow the spread of fire, they are "A-class" fire boundaries, because fire will by nature travel vertically. Each "fire zone" on the ship is actually a "vertical fire zone", where everything vertically in line between two class "A-60" fire bulkheads is in one zone. The "A--60" designation means that no matter how fierce a fire is on one side of a bulkhead, it will not transmit enough heat to cause anything touching the bulkhead on the other side (like paint), to ignite for 60 minutes.

In fact, uncovered, or partially covered balconies are better from a firefighter's perspective, since they can then get onto a balcony above (but off to the side) of the burning balcony and apply water from above.