Breakaway Sea days from NYC in February? Weather conditions?

IGDuncan92

Hi everyone.

I'm sailing in February on the breakaway from NYC to the Caribbean and we have 2 sea days first before we would get to San Juan. I know NYC will be cold but I'm curious how those sea days might be weather wise.

Would there be any chance of getting nice weather or would it still be quite cold/rough etc. I'm from the UK by the way

Thanks

I think it's all luck. I've gone from Miami down to St. Thomas, St. Martin and Bahamas in February and 1 time I had gorgeous weather and 2 times it was not exactly cold, but not lets go and sit out on the deck and get in the pool either (60-low 70s). My co-worker has done the Gem out of NY a bunch in February and she says she has always had nice weather by mid-day on the 2nd day (first day at sea) when you get towards NC.

It can be extremely cold when you leave, snow and freezing rain ,Possibly heavy seas (Winter in the Atlantic) I have left out of NY 4 times in the winter and at least one day of heavy seas (20+ ft waves)

By the second day it should be warm

Hi everyone.

I'm sailing in February on the breakaway from NYC to the Caribbean and we have 2 sea days first before we would get to San Juan. I know NYC will be cold but I'm curious how those sea days might be weather wise.

Would there be any chance of getting nice weather or would it still be quite cold/rough etc. I'm from the UK by the way

Thanks

we did this 12 nts itinerary feb/2015, weather was not very good, first 2 days were cold and windy, outside decks were closed, we did not make it to PR. Same thing on the way back, waves very high. Captain Evans Hoyt managed the situation very well, same thing with the Breakaway, she was wonderful, no much rocking, but we had a lot of fun, lots of thing to do inside. the good thing for us the ones from New York & New Jersey was that we skipped to snow storms while away :D:D but all depends of the weather and nobody can predict so far in advance how it will be, if you are looking for an all time nice weather cruise, better take it from Florida or directly from Puerto Rico.

Edited by teseo

OP here. Thanks for the replies

Ive never actually been in rough seas so we'll just have to see. Itll be an experience to say the least.

And stupidly it didn't occur to me until this morning that sailing from NY in Feb would be maybe not the nicest to start with lol. It's my mother who's actually panicking about it. Worth it for the NY day though. Us Scottish folk can handle a bit of cold.

Edited by IGDuncan92

we did this 12 nts itinerary feb/2015, weather was not very good, first 2 days were cold and windy, outside decks were closed, we did not make it to PR. Same thing on the way back, waves very high. Captain Evans Hoyt managed the situation very well, same thing with the Breakaway, she was wonderful, no much rocking, but we had a lot of fun, lots of thing to do inside. the good thing for us the ones from New York & New Jersey was that we skipped to snow storms while away :D:D but all depends of the weather and nobody can predict so far in advance how it will be, if you are looking for an all time nice weather cruise, better take it from Florida or directly from Puerto Rico.

Good to hear about the breakaway! I'm super exited for this ship. Cold doesn't other me tbh. I like the idea of going from cold to warm as we go south. I dunno why lol. Plus being from the UK seeing New York is a major plus

. Its just the rough seas. im not sure how ill be with that if we have them. I'm bringing my young daughter so hopefully it doesn't frighten her. Recently saw a vid of RC around the same time of year that ran into the winter storm. Think it was roughly the same itinerary in Jan. That would terrify me lol. Thanks :)

I will say the breakaway with a spa pass was great for my December trip. All the view with a small pool wth huge windows it was totally worth it. I even got the pass for my august cruise that will hopefully have nicer weather.

Hadn't thought about a spa pass. I thought maybe theyd close it in rough weather. Im clueless I think. Going to look into that. I will have my 4 1/2 yr old with me so ill probably be designated to the cinema or something similar on sea days lol

It can be extremely cold when you leave, snow and freezing rain ,Possibly heavy seas (Winter in the Atlantic) I have left out of NY 4 times in the winter and at least one day of heavy seas (20+ ft waves)

By the second day it should be warm

I hope 20ft waves sound worse than they are lol. I just google imaged it for about 2.5 seconds and stopped looking 😟 Oh well theres always the bar

We sailed on the Gem once and the Jewel once out of New York in the month of February. Both times it was cold on days 1 and 2. One time, we could see chunks of ice in the Hudson River on sail away. A little rocky on day 2 both times but not that it made us sick. However, one of those times coming back, did have some high seas. Things flew off the table in our cabin and also off the gift shop shelves. I was a little under the weather but just that night, fine in AM. But it was all worth the beautiful weather in the Caribbean even if it is just for a few days. Both times we missed snows storms which made it even more enjoyable!

Edited by Weluv2cruise2gether

We sailed on the Gem once and the Jewel once out of New York in the month of February. Both times it was cold on days 1 and 2. One time, we could see chunks of ice in the Hudson River on sail away. A little rocky on day 2 both times but not that it made us sick. However, one of those times coming back, did have some high seas. Things flew off the table in our cabin and also off the gift shop shelves. I was a little under the weather but just that night, fine in AM. But it was all worth the beautiful weather in the Caribbean even if it is just for a few days. Both times we missed snows storms which made it even more enjoyable!

That would scare me I think. A lot. But same for us, we are coming from Scotland so the Caribbean really is a treat, a little bad weather I can deal with to get there. Hopefull not major weather tho lol

Good to hear about the breakaway! I'm super exited for this ship. Cold doesn't other me tbh. I like the idea of going from cold to warm as we go south. I dunno why lol. Plus being from the UK seeing New York is a major plus

. Its just the rough seas. im not sure how ill be with that if we have them. I'm bringing my young daughter so hopefully it doesn't frighten her. Recently saw a vid of RC around the same time of year that ran into the winter storm. Think it was roughly the same itinerary in Jan. That would terrify me lol. Thanks :)

That was RCCL Anthem of the Seas and NCl is pretty good handling storms, not that they are 100% perfect, but they use really good weather prediction systems and the Captains are pretty good making decisions avoiding the storms. the problem with the Anthem was that they tried to outrun the storm and they actually got caught by it, the storm was faster and stronger that what they anticipated.

Hadn't thought about a spa pass. I thought maybe theyd close it in rough weather. Im clueless I think. Going to look into that. I will have my 4 1/2 yr old with me so ill probably be designated to the cinema or something similar on sea days lol

yes, if the seas are too rough, they will close the spa, technically, they will close the Thermal Suite and the Jacuzzi, the Spa area will be open, you still can use the heated and not heated lounges and the steam/ sauna rooms.

That was RCCL Anthem of the Seas and NCl is pretty good handling storms, not that they are 100% perfect, but they use really good weather prediction systems and the Captains are pretty good making decisions avoiding the storms. the problem with the Anthem was that they tried to outrun the storm and they actually got caught by it, the storm was faster and stronger that what they anticipated.

We were in the southern end of that storm on our way back this year on the Gem. It was a pretty wild time, all of the outside decks were closed, wind was howling through eveywhere it could, and the sea looked ready to consume everything.

20160210_112228_zpsg7jdltc4.jpg

As we got closer to home rumors of a ship that got stuck in the storm started circulating around the ship, and that ended up being that RCL one everyone heard about.

BUT

The day we left, 10 days earlier, in the middle of the deepest part of winter, NYC was 60 degrees and as we sat at the pier the outside buffets were open and everyone sat around the pool having bbq'ed hot dogs and hamburgers. Now this is in no way normal as it was the hottest winter in a thousand ages, or something like that, but it was a bit exciting to do being that when we normally leave in the winter it is snowing and the roads have ice on them.

Hi everyone.

Thanks

we left this year March 6th out of NYC...needed a light jacket "northface shell" gets the job done perfectly..you will be cold the entire first day...then it will slowly warm up...

on your 2 sea days coming back to NYC they (NCL) will prob close the ropes course and the rock wall due to high winds...so if you are gonna do the ropes and rock wall do it on day 3 when you get nice weather..or you may miss out..

best,

Mark

We sailed 1-31-16 and missed the big snow storm by one week (thank goodness). The weather that day was beautiful - I think it was in the 50's. So by the next afternoon, it was pretty nice out. I wasn't laying in the sun but I was sitting out on the balcony. Not the same on the way back. Hit a storm early Friday evening and it was rocking and rolling but the Captain slowed down and headed east to miss the brunt of the storm and Saturday was wild looking. Fog, snow squalls, heavy seas - but we loved it. Time to pack anyway. Sunday disembarking - there was a -20 wind chill. Brrrr. Welcome back!!! We had never sailed out of NY in the winter and were worried and a week earlier - we would have had a huge problem but luckily, it was one of the BEST cruises of my 23 previous cruises. Loved it and hope to go again this January 29th. Make sure you have insurance, just in case.