Sicily

Since Sicily was put on our itinerary instead of Turkey I really have heard much. Has anyone been there and what are the highlights? Just want to plan ahead. Peg

To The Med. on Galaxy
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;21;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

I assume that your itinerary will include Messina. This is primarily used as the gateway port for an excusion to the hilltop resort town of Taormina. A few ships will actually anchor of the coast near Taormina (its about an hour drive from Messina) and tender passengers in to a nearby town (you still need transportation up to Taormina. This is a delightful village with arty shops, some cafes and restaurants, and an ancient Roman amphitheater which gives you a spectacular view of the Med.

Hank

Hank,
I believe the Roman amphitheater you mentioned is actually a Greek amphitheater. It is from the Greek influence in Sicily.

Taormina is a lovely village, as you said. Great food and shopping. Beautiful views of the sea and Mt. Etna (it was smoking when I was there in 2001).

Donna

Donna,
I stand corrected, Sort Of! You got me wondering so I looked it up. Would you believe that its actually a "Greek and Roman Theater." Neither did I,, but its true. The Greeks orignally carved it out of the rock, but than the Romans remodeled and modified it "for their amusement." Than, the conquering Arabs slashed away at it, leaving something similar to what we have today. There must be a fascinating story here somewhere (smile).

Hank

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img] Hank, I stand corrected as well! Maybe I was told the history of Taormina's amphitheather when I was there, but obviously I've forgotten most of it! I'll have to quiz my daughter who was with me on that trip to see if she remembers. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for straightening me out!

Donna

Peg,
We were there last year and took a tour to the top of Mt Etna. The lunar like landscape and seeing the steam coming out of the top really makes you think. We had been to Herculanum and Pompeii earlier and it certainly puts the whole thing into perspective. The ground beneath your feet is hot and the views are breathtaking.

Hmmm. This history thing has me concerned. I think we will just have to go back on a future trip so we can get ourselves straightened out! (its amazing how many good excuses there are for returning to great places).

Hank

Archived