Vista Upcharges

YungCruzVet

We are considering booking Vista for an upcoming family cruise. I am excited about the new features she has but am concerned what up charges we might run into.

Which dining options cost more?

Does any of the entertainment have additional costs?

Anything I should know before booking that might be out of the "Carnival Norm?"

All extra charges are optional. Like specialty dining (Steakhouse, Chef's Table, Jiji, Cucina del Capitano) and you will have all the regular included dining options.

Upcharge - Imax theatre and the Thrill theater. Regular entertainment is included.

- Steakhouse is $35pp, free wine bottle 1st and 2nd nights

- Jiji's is $12pp, excellent for the price

- Cucina del Capitano - Believe it is $15pp, was not impress with it on the Breeze

- Bonsai, dinner for 2 is about $40 (appt, sushi, dessert), well worth it

- Seafood shack, varies depending on what you get, not worth the money

- Havana Bar, depends what you order, mostly appetizers.

- Red Frog Pub, didn't try it, ran out of time.

- IMAX was around $13 and they usually show two of the latest movies during the sailing. We had Tarzan and Independence Day 2. We went twice, had a great time and the picture/audio quality is very good. Believe it sits around 248 people, some showings were sold out. Highly recommended it if you like a movie that's playing, cheaper than IMAX on land and most local theaters given the quality of the experience.

- Thrill Theater I didn't try, they play short movies or documentaries. Given how port intensive our sailing was, finding showtimes that lined up with our plans was hard to do. If you have multiple sea days, you shouldn't have a problem.

These eating venues are optional, so you can cruise and stick to Main Dinning Room or Buffet for dinner. On my July 1st sailing, MDR food was hit or miss, not terrible but most nights it was ok. We ended up eating at Jiji's twice, that's how good it was. I'm not a buffet person, just doesn't appeal to me, tried it for breakfast once and was not impressed.

At the end of the day, it's up to you how much more you want to spend during the cruise. You can have a great time onboard without having to spend money on any of these things.

Edited by Mr305

- Cucina del Capitano - Believe it is $15pp, was not impress with it on the Breeze

- IMAX was around $13 and they usually show two of the latest movies during the sailing. We had Tarzan and Independence Day 2. We went twice, had a great time and the picture/audio quality is very good. Believe it sits around 248 people, some showings were sold out. Highly recommended it if you like a movie that's playing, cheaper than IMAX on land and most local theaters given the quality of the experience.

These eating venues are optional, so you can cruise and stick to Main Dinning Room or Buffet for dinner. On my July 1st sailing, MDR food was hit or miss, not terrible but most nights it was ok. We ended up eating at Jiji's twice, that's how good it was. I'm not a buffet person, just doesn't appeal to me, tried it for breakfast once and was not impressed.

To add some to this:

Upcharge:

Cherry on Top - Ice Cream/Candy Shop is a la carte.

Free Options besides Buffet and MDR:

Guy's Burger

Fat Jimmy's BBQ (suppose to be flipping to Guy's Pig & Anchor in US)

JJ's Lunch Only- Mongolian Wok Service

Cucina Lunch Only - Pasta Bar

Fresh Creations - Serenity Salad Counter Service

Pizzeria Del Capitano

Blue Iguana Cantina

- Thrill Theater I didn't try, they play short movies or documentaries. Given how port intensive our sailing was, finding showtimes that lined up with our plans was hard to do. If you have multiple sea days, you shouldn't have a problem.

At the end of the day, it's up to you how much more you want to spend during the cruise. You can have a great time onboard without having to spend money on any of these things.

Good summary. The Red Frog has what they call Pub Bites. Basically appetizers. I think they were $3.33/each. They were pretty good too.

There was also a mini bowling alley up in the clubhouse which was $3 a game.

Also on the Deck 5 lenai, starboard side, there is a BBQ place that was open only at lunch on sea days. I'm guessing this is where Pig & Anchor is going to go once it is stateside, but it was really good - beef, pork, collard greens, mac n' cheese, coleslaw, sausages. Hardly any line; I don't think people realized it was there.

Java Blue cafe has specialty coffee drinks but if you have Cheers, those are included.

Ocean Plaza has the "taste" bar; it was usually open early evening and was a different specialty restaurant every night. It was included.

Awesome information! We usually sail pretty traditional and on older ships. Buffet for breakfast and lunch and MRD for dinner.

This past year we tried out Norwegian Getaway and they included a specialty dining package. It was nice to be able to try all the different places, but I still missed having the same wait staff in the MRD and all the personal touches that usually includes.

The Getaway was my Brother-In-Laws first cruise and I think we tainted him, because now he thinks bigger is better, but didn't really understand that all those places we got to try last summer would normally cost us extra. While I'm okay with bigger, I don't plan on eating a many, if any specialty restaurants.

Thanks for the info!!