Jost Van Dyke Excursion

GrammaMimi12

Need advice from anyone who has done the JVD excursion from Tortola such as what vendor you used and if you were satisfied...willing to spend a little more to extend time on island, waiting in line, confusion etc. traveling with 4 year old granddaughter so issue of swimming to shore is of concern as well. Thanks so much for any and all advice ! :)

Need advice from anyone who has done the JVD excursion from Tortola such as what vendor you used and if you were satisfied...willing to spend a little more to extend time on island, waiting in line, confusion etc. traveling with 4 year old granddaughter so issue of swimming to shore is of concern as well. Thanks so much for any and all advice ! :)

I'd suggest heading over to the Tortola board and asking:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=290

I did the YVD via NCL on the Escape. It was a great little place and the catamaran pulls right up to the beach and wade right off. The Soggy Dollar is fun and the Pain Killers are a must. The nutmeg gives it the extra something flavor. I am assuming the excursion would be mostly the same regardless of the cruise line. It is a very popular place and many "locals" pull up in their catamarans too.

Have fun and make sure you do it!

We did this excursion through Disney and back in January, they used a shuttle company that took us by boat which was a 40 minute ride...Pretty nice...then we were taxied over to the Beach. They set up an area just for Disney cruisers all the way at the end of the beach for us. The beach was beautiful, the Painkillers were awesome and the food was great.

We did this excursion through Disney and back in January, they used a shuttle company that took us by boat which was a 40 minute ride...Pretty nice...then we were taxied over to the Beach. They set up an area just for Disney cruisers all the way at the end of the beach for us. The beach was beautiful, the Painkillers were awesome and the food was great.

Was this from Tortola or St Maarten ? I have been checking private water taxis but prices are high and there is also some type of added fee for clearing customs ?! One company even charged $50 extra for gas...$1500 out of the question for a family of 5. Anyway, had heard that the Disney one takes awhile to get everyone organized etc etc and that time on the island is very short...did you find that to be true. Seems to be on and off for Disney as far as availability is concerned and some excursions have been cancelled on short notice.

Was this from Tortola or St Maarten ? I have been checking private water taxis but prices are high and there is also some type of added fee for clearing customs ?! One company even charged $50 extra for gas...$1500 out of the question for a family of 5. Anyway, had heard that the Disney one takes awhile to get everyone organized etc etc and that time on the island is very short...did you find that to be true. Seems to be on and off for Disney as far as availability is concerned and some excursions have been cancelled on short notice.

It would be from Tortola, British Virgin Islands (BVI).

St Maarten is too far away, around 90+ nautical miles in a straight line.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

If you're traveling from Tortola you shouldn't have any reason to clear customs in JVD, as you're already in the BVI.

That said, I'd rather a shuttle to Great Harbour than White Bay. I would prefer to hang out at Foxy's than Soggy Dollar any day of the week.

If you're traveling from Tortola you shouldn't have any reason to clear customs in JVD, as you're already in the BVI.

That said, I'd rather a shuttle to Great Harbour than White Bay. I would prefer to hang out at Foxy's than Soggy Dollar any day of the week.

I just googled JVD water taxi transfers, and from the listings there is an operator that will charter a boat for you, but it is from St Thomas, so going from USVI to BVI and requires customs clearance.

I wonder if the OP did not notice it was from St Thomas to JVD, not Tortola?

OP, is this the water taxi page?

http://www.dolphinshuttle.com/international-processing-fees

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I just googled JVD water taxi transfers, and from the listings there is an operator that will charter a boat for you, but it is from St Thomas, so going from USVI to BVI and requires customs clearance.

I wonder if the OP did not notice it was from St Thomas to JVD, not Tortola?

OP, is this the water taxi page?

http://www.dolphinshuttle.com/international-processing-fees

ex techie

http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_tortola_jost.htm

That was from Tortola.

That was from Tortola.

That's strange. When we were on the M/Y Nadine we went from St. Thomas to St. John. From there we went to JVD, Norman Island, Virgin Gorda, Sandy Cay, Peter Island, Congo and Lovango Cays, back to St. John and then disembarked in St. Thomas for the return home. The only times we had to go through customs were at Great Harbour in JVD as we entered the BVI and then St. John when we returned to the USVI. There is no reason you should have to go through customs/immigration/etc. coming from Tortola to JVD. You're in the same territory.

That's strange. When we were on the M/Y Nadine we went from St. Thomas to St. John. From there we went to JVD, Norman Island, Virgin Gorda, Sandy Cay, Peter Island, Congo and Lovango Cays, back to St. John and then disembarked in St. Thomas for the return home. The only times we had to go through customs were at Great Harbour in JVD as we entered the BVI and then St. John when we returned to the USVI. There is no reason you should have to go through customs/immigration/etc. coming from Tortola to JVD. You're in the same territory.

I think you have muddled your posts between GrammaMimi and Stratus, as it was GrammaMimi who read about customs and mentioned them, not Stratus who's excursion via DCL was from Tortola.

ex techie

I think you have muddled your posts between GrammaMimi and Stratus, as it was GrammaMimi who read about customs and mentioned them, not Stratus who's excursion via DCL was from Tortola.

ex techie

You are correct. Whoops. :rolleyes: