The Solo Cruiser

Not sure if 1st post worked, Asking what Thomson is like for the solo cruiser/ single rooms with no suppliment etc ? has anyone cruised with thomson on their own

Hello Royal Scot me again!

I have completed 17 solo cruises on Thomson so here goes.

Cabins - Thomson have a policy of designating groups of cabins for solo occupation and most of these are actually standard doubles. The single supplement varies but can be as low as 40% depending on the cruise. A ship by ship description is easiest.

Celebration - the solo cabins are located aft near the engineering spaces and some of them are ex crew cabins. expect some noise and vibration.

Spirit - sister ship to Celebration and the same comments about the cabin. The inside I had on my last cruise on her was the noisiest I have been in, just like being inside a cement mixer with dry gravel :mad: however this summer is Spirits last season :)

Majesty - The inside singles are well forward on deck 6 and the outsides right aft on decks 8 and 9. The insides are OK but I won't try the outsides until next summer which is Majesty's last season.

Dream - The single cabins are in 2 groups, forward and aft. I have stayed in a forward cabin on deck 5 and it was spacious and quiet. The aft ones are too near the propellers for my liking :eek:

TUI Discovery - Thomson latest ship and was RCI's Splendour of the Seas. The single cabins are grouped forward on the port side well away from the engines and the outside I occupied on my last cruise was OK with plenty of space and a double bed. nice and quiet as well.

You can book a double cabin for single occupancy but I believe this will always attract a 100% single supplement.

The social program. This can vary according to ship and circumstances but Thomson have a designated social host or hostess to look after solo cruisers. It will be easiest to describe the excellent programme on my last cruise on Discovery for a 7 day cruise.

Sea day - coffee morning with social hostess lasting about 1 hour! Then hosted lunch in the main dining room with free drinks.

Mid week - hosted dinner with free drinks followed by reserved seats in the theatre with more free drinks.

Late week - hosted pre dinner drinks in the cocktail bar

Last night - hosted dinner again with the trimmings and theatre seats etc.

On one Spirit cruise we even had hosted breakfast!

Overall I would say solo cruisers are much better looked after on Thomson than on P&O. I am trying the NCL Epic soon and looking forward to seeing what they offer.

I've been on two so far, third planned for next year.

Ages do vary, but speaking as someone who's not yet 30 it's a narrow variance! I will say all the people I've met have been lovely, on my second cruise ended up randomly bumping in to a couple I'd met on the first!

Both times have been on Spirit. 1st time I was in a single cabin and as said above, it was just a re-purposed cabin room. Two single beds instead of a double despite it being sold as a solo cabin. Did notice some noise but not enough to stop me sleeping, and I was in the very last cabin. 2nd time I was in a standard room (which again had two single beds but wasn't sold as a solo cabin so no complaint) and while the solo cabin was roomer the standard room was a bit more comfortable with more storage and a proper desk.

First sea day was a breakfast, then we had a coffee morning, then dinner, and another coffee morning. This is one of the things that has made me return to Thomsons as I like that these things are planned, you don't have to go, or you can go and see what the others are like.

Also check the roll call forum as there's often a planned meet-up in there. I went to one on my 2nd cruise and it was great to meet people.

I've done a few cruises on my own, all with Thomson - on Spirit I booked the most forward single cabin there was and whilst it was a little juddery it didn't stop me sleeping. On Majesty I've had an inside on deck 6, and an outside on deck 8 - the inside was small but great, the outside was much roomier (an outside plus I suspect) but a bit wobbly when we hit rough seas, being higher up!

In terms of the social aspect, it definitely varies by cruise - not all solo travellers with come to the meet ups as a rule, but on some cruises you find that you get a good turn out and people continue to meet throughout the week, on some people will come to the organised meets but do their own thing otherwise. I guess I'm somewhere between the two - I like the social aspect of cruises so I quite like to turn up to dinner on my own and meet new people.

Everyone I've met on cruises so far has been lovely, whether solo, in a couple or a family group. And the social hosts / hostesses have all been great as well. I would say it was worth giving it a try, maybe just for a week if you're not sure.