I know this should go on hotel section, but

I just checked with the hotel I booked for early day arrival. Its closed until further notice. :eek: I don't know if that means damaged, or just because of electricity or no water.

Do I take a chance and wait to see, or do I go ahead and cancel, and try to find another hotel? I imagine that there is a lot of people who willl be doing the same thing now, so rooms will be taken soon. :(

Suggestions, does anyone know someone who live on North Fed Highway? It is the Courtyard Marriott.

Thanks for any info anyone can give me.

Jly

I wouldn't cancel--if their permanently closed, they'll cancel you--but it probably wouldn't hurt to book a back-up, just in case.

Just a suggestion--have you tried calling the Marriot 800 number? They might know the status of the hotel.

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) with my pre-cruise stay in FLL on 11/2. The Marriott website is NOT current on which hotels are closed (they didn't include the Renaissance, which IS closed for now). Priceline had to let me know, I still have the reservation but have a back-up reservation at a Sheraton Suites that is SUPPOSED to be open then. I don't know when you're going, but I plan to give it until this weekend to see what is really open, and then make another back-up reservation as far away as Miami, if necessary.

Good luck. :)

I am a Reservations Manager for a Holiday Inn in Cleveland and we book for nearly 60 hotels country-wide. A few of our hotels are closed from Hurricanes that hit last year (Melbourne, West Palm Beach). If the Hotel will be closed for your arrival, they will contact you. I would still book at another hotel just in case, but make sure your cancellation policy allows you to do so. Good luck!

That is where I got my information, from Marriott. They called and did the checking for me, they had the connections. When I called the hotel, there was no answer. So, I called the 888 number and the young girl was very helpful, she kept checking with various people until she found out for me.

Statement was: "hotel is closed at this time until further notice" no more information could be gathered. She said to call back in a around five days. But, if it can't be repaired in time, and it is not the only hotel that is damaged, then there will be lots of people seeking a new place. I am hoping that someone who lives in that area can tell me if the place is really damaged, or if it just that the lines are down.:(

I am checking out back up hotels today, just in case.

Jly

You did not say when you are cruising.. but hotels near ports typically full up far in advance for the nights before each cruise departure so go get a backup NOW and make sure you know the cancellation policy.

Then watch your Marriott situation for a couple of weeks and if they can't tell you then cancel that one! And get a cancellation reference # and keep it!

Good Morning All:

Some of the Miami and Fort Lauderdale hotels are closed because they have no power. It would seem that we need to find out whether they are damaged, or simply waiting for the power to go back on.

I am supposed to be in Fort Lauderdale 12/2 - so perhaps I will get lucky.

Good luck to all, Karen

Sorry, am so busy that I forgot the date. It is the 12th of Nov, on the Enchantment.

Between this, my college class (I have a 20 page paper due in 2 wks) and helping my son with his college classes, I am going to go NUTS! LOL

I feel guilty at times, because there are I am sure people who have lost their homes are having to stay at hotels. Then, the cruise that was canceled, and they are being shifted to other cruises.

It is such a mess, I just hope it can all be sorted soon, and that the problem is just electricity down. Not just at the hotel I am at (so far) but for everyone there.

Janette

I would book an alternate.

I chatted today with one of the people that work for my firm in the downtown Miami office. She told me she has no power at home, so she and her husband had a marvelous breakfast this morning at the Intercontinental. You may drop a few extra bucks on a room at the Intercontinental, but you'll have a marvelous stay.

Go to http://www.spg.com and click on their Hurricane Wilma updates. They are VERY good about current information, which hotels are open (and a few now ARE, supposedly, including the Sheraton Yankee Trader, convenient to the port) and make your reservation accordingly.

I've pretty much given up on my Priceline reservation at the Renaissance Marriott, that hotel has NO clue when their power will be back. I now have reservations at both the Yankee Trader and another farther away Sheraton property, that is supposed to open Monday. I'll be calling this weekend to find out status, but if the Yankee Trader is really open, that's where I'll be staying.

Good luck to those still looking! :)

Archived