Koningsdam Family Oceanview 1021 photo

elizamar

Here is what the room looks like when turned down. Please note that to reach the beds and trundle, you have to literally crawl on top of the sofa bed. Not optimal for someone with back problems or mobility issues, and terrible if you need to reach the bathroom in the middle of the night.

1b3b05dc7799f8f9c4bce39fe6395845_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Here is what the room looks like when turned down. Please note that to reach the beds and trundle, you have to literally crawl on top of the sofa bed. Not optimal for someone with back problems or mobility issues, and terrible if you need to reach the bathroom in the middle of the night.

1b3b05dc7799f8f9c4bce39fe6395845_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were in a veranda quad on the Konigsdam. Were you not given a ladder for the pull down bunk?

It appears the sofa bed and existing bed are in opposite positions compared to most HAL quad verandah's (that I have been in, at least). When the sofa bed is extended in one of those, it is impossible to reach the verandah without crawling over the sofa bed. Surely, they became aware of this problem as I comment about it on each survey;)

It would have made perfect sense to put the sofa bed near the window on these family OV and not obstruct the main footpath! Seems like a huge mistake on their part. Just when I thought these family OV could not get any more ridiculous, they prove me wrong!

It appears the sofa bed and existing bed are in opposite positions compared to most HAL quad verandah's (that I have been in, at least). When the sofa bed is extended in one of those, it is impossible to reach the verandah without crawling over the sofa bed. Surely, they became aware of this problem as I comment about it on each survey;)

It would have made perfect sense to put the sofa bed near the window on these family OV and not obstruct the main footpath! Seems like a huge mistake on their part. Just when I thought these family OV could not get any more ridiculous, they prove me wrong!

We had our 12yo grandson on the sofa bed. We all got up at the same time and he immeadiatly closed it up. so, no problem.

We had our 12yo grandson on the sofa bed. We all got up at the same time and he immeadiatly closed it up. so, no problem.

I'm glad that you had success with the configuration! For the Family OV or the Verandah?

Our problem with the verandah quad configuration is that if the kids go to bed early we like to enjoy time on the verandah. Then we have to climb over them (without waking) to get back inside. Or, if I am up early and want to use the verandah I risk waking them while crawling over them to get to it. Heaven forbid I have coffee in hand;)

As for the Family OV, I assume the issues would be similar….what if someone wanted to exit the cabin (because there is no balcony) before everyone else woke up? What if someone needed to use the bathroom in the middle of the night?

I guess these could all be avoided if I could give up those heavenly HAL beds to the kiddos and endure a sofa bed myself!

What was "ridiculous" about them previously?

The bathroom set up does not add any extra appeal to our family. Also that you have to pay more for less space (compared to main deck J's for example). On that note, verandah's are often cheaper than a FOV. Our family would pick a main deck J (on other ships) or two connecting cabins over a FOV if given the choice. I'm sure the idea of "family cabins" would appeal to those who have never cruised before or are looking for a 5 person cabin.

We will sail (in a veradah) on the Koningsdam this fall. With such limited cabin categories for quads and lacking lido cabanas we do not see it as their most family friendly ship. Quick, someone remind me to keep an open mind! ;)

p.s. Haha...I just said we are sailing in a verandah in the fall after listing all the reasons why we don't like verandahs in my previous reply. Do I sound hard to please, or what?!?!

Edited by HALrunner