What to do with toddlers?

ugagal07

You have a nice long day to enjoy Tortola! I’m not sure if an island tour would be something you’d consider? If so there are the regular safari taxis available for a nice 4 hr tour with a beach stop for about $25pp (kids 3 and younger free). If you wanted a tour in a van with child safety seats there are also taxis that provide private tour options at a slightly higher cost. I don’t have any contacts right now, but you can call the taxi companies and schedule a tour. Tortola is a gorgeous island and that’s a great way to see her beauty if the kids will be ok.

You could then have time to go back on the ship if the kids need a nap, etc and then go for a walk around the pier area. There are great places to grab a bite and a drink like Pusser’s Road Town Pub, and some nice little shops like Sunny Caribbee which has some excellent spices and rubs.

If you’d rather just go to a beach the safari taxis load up and take folks to Cane Garden Bay, $8pp each way (kids are free), private taxi will be a little more. CGB is a large bay with several beach bars and you can rent lounges and umbrellas at Myett’s and also have a nice lunch there. It gets crowded when ships are in port so you’ll find a busier vibe here then. Brewers bay is a smaller beach with one beach grill and fewer cruisers, also good snorkeling, same taxi fare.

If you’ve already seen most of Tortola you could ferry to Virgin Gorda and take a tour there or rent a car. There are also some great day sails with highly-regarded operators like Kuralu, Aristocat, and Patouche, you can snorkel or just enjoy the day on the catamaran and a nice lunch on a beach.

You have lots of time, just not sure how far you want to venture from the ship with the kids?

Anything sound interesting?

Tortola taxi companies -

BVI Taxi Stand...........................................................(284) 494-3456

Beef Island Taxi Association (Airport)......................(284) 495 1982

Road Town Taxi Stand...............................................(284) 494 8755

Waterfront Taxi Stand................................................(284) 494 6362

West End Taxi Association........................................(284) 495 4934

Quality Taxi Association.......................................... (284) 494 8397

I have the saw question about traveling with a toddler, and as I review the older posts, it appears there are some issues of cleanliness with CGB due to holds being empties in the cove, is this still an issue? I'm okay with dealing with a larger volume of tourists and boats but I'm wary if it's not clean. Has this changed in the last few years? Thanks in advance!

Thanks blue_water.

An island tour would be miserable for all involved I'm afraid lol. I don't think the kids would appreciate it and get cranky in the car that long.

I was thinking it would just be a beach day, but finding a transportation option is what I've had trouble with. We've never been to Tortola, but have visited lots of other ports where taxi drivers double as race car drivers... I'm nervous about the kids without carseats in that situation.

I am with you on the concern for the car seat. I am actually looking at buying a more portable car seat that can actually fold and has backpack straps. I'm also torn because I want to get some of the history but I don't want to limit my toddler so likely it'll be a beach day it just becomes which one

• 4 months later...
I am with you on the concern for the car seat. I am actually looking at buying a more portable car seat that can actually fold and has backpack straps. I'm also torn because I want to get some of the history but I don't want to limit my toddler so likely it'll be a beach day it just becomes which one

Did you find taxi with car seats or end up buying portable ones?

We are traveling in March with toddlers also and would love to hear how your experience went?

What beach did you go to?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So we ended up bringing our normal car seat to Florida with us and storing it in the cabin. When it came to to this port in question we actually passed on any formal tour. We wandered near the pier, went to a park with a nice view less than a mile away, and then on our way back stopped at PUsser's and got drinks and a snack as well as a little shopping in. Wasn't bad at all but I'm not overly excited to return to Tortola any time soon.

Edited by RDragonSpn

So we ended up bringing our normal car seat to Florida with us and storing it in the cabin. When it came to to this port in question we actually passed on any formal tour. We wandered near the pier, went to a park with a nice view less than a mile away, and then on our way back stopped at PUsser's and got drinks and a snack as well as a little shopping in. Wasn't bad at all but I'm not overly excited to return to Tortola any time soon.

It's a shame you were not able to get away from the port and nearby area to really see Tortola, it a gorgeous island and the people are wonderful! Perhaps when the kids are older you can return for a real visit.:)

Thank you for your response. We've decided not to bother taking a car seat. Hopefully there won't be any problems.

I'm excited for Tortola. My husband and father in law really wanted to do the baths and after reading up I didn't feel comfortable taking the babies there. But I contacted ShoreFox about taking our group to the baths and delivering the babies, my MIL and I to Spring Bay Beach near by.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums