K-dam vets: Help with timing Lido breakfast on port days

calwriter

MY DH and I are sailing on Konigsdam in September and I am worried about the reports of the slow lines for the Lido buffet. We both take medication and need a good breakfast to get us through the day's excursions. Worst case scenario: how much time should we budget to ensure we make it through the lines and still have time to eat? an hour? 2? Or is it best to go to MDR?

Any advice appreciated.

MY DH and I are sailing on Konigsdam in September and I am worried about the reports of the slow lines for the Lido buffet. We both take medication and need a good breakfast to get us through the day's excursions. Worst case scenario: how much time should we budget to ensure we make it through the lines and still have time to eat? an hour? 2? Or is it best to go to MDR?

Any advice appreciated.

Another option would be room service by putting out the breakfast order hangtag the night before. You specify the time they deliver. We do that most days.

Best friend takes her shower and then relaxes and reads while I sleep a bit later. Breakfast arrives an hour after her (silent) alarm gets her up, we eat, I shower, she puts in her hearing aids, away we go.

She's severely hearing impaired and likes the extra time to make sure her ears are totally dry. I like to sleep in later than she does. Works really well for both of us.

We sailed 7/17-7/31 on Koningsdam and found breakfast in the Lido a lesson in frustration - long lines and not enough available seating. We got in the habit of breakfast in the dining room - very relaxing, good service and we always made it to the shore excursions in plenty of time. It turned out to be our favorite way to start the day.

I also would suggest, weather permitting, taking your food from the lido to the aft or Lido pool area and eat outside. The Lido at least has a covering so that it protects you from the elements. Many times during my Norway cruise I ate by the aft (Sea View) pool even in cold weather so that I could get a table. Even finding a table to share in the Lido was very hard to get.

I would suggest room service, as one poster suggested, and the dining room as a second option as another poster suggested. I had two breakfasts in the dining room and both times services tended to be slow but at least it was a more restful environment than the Lido.

MDR will probably be best for you but we had some very slow service there several mornings. Best to let staff know you need to eat without delay.

Room service is an option that will get you food when you need it, but we found it impossible to eat in our balcony stateroom given the absence of a coffee table big enough to accommodate things (and we didn't want to eat on the bed).

Food items are limited, but you can also try getting something from Explorations Cafe or NY Deli.

Too bad the design of the ship resulted in a Lido without sufficient seating, chairs too heavy to move them easily, and no systems to manage lineups at each food station (was often rather chaotic).

If you go to the Lido right when they start serving, there are no problems getting served or finding a seat. We did this in the morning and on the nights we wanted to eat there. I just went up about 5:45pm and sat at a window table. The view of the ship departing was great from the floor to ceiling windows in the Lido compared to the MDR. When they open the stations, we got our food very quickly. The same idea works in the morning, go up early and have coffee and take advantage of the lack of crowds.

I also would suggest, weather permitting, taking your food from the lido to the aft or Lido pool area and eat outside. The Lido at least has a covering so that it protects you from the elements. Many times during my Norway cruise I ate by the aft (Sea View) pool even in cold weather so that I could get a table. Even finding a table to share in the Lido was very hard to get.

Yes to eating out by the pool area, however we ate by the main pool which was covered. We just returned from 14 days to Norway and finding a table in the Lido was difficult. Then we noted that all the tables on both 9 and 10 around the main pool are set for use at breakfast. I never experienced long lines.. everything seemed to move smoothly and efficiently. However, people linger and there are just a lot of us. So, grab breakfast, head to the pool and you should be fine. Tip: they don't come around much to offer drinks out by the pool, so you would do better to grab your own beverage while still in the Lido.

On port days for us, its always room service breakfast. Although, if we are running a bit early, I might dash up to the Lido and pick up a couple of waffles to go along with breakfast. On sea days, breakfast is usually sacrificed for sleep! ;)