Onboard texting app

jackie101

It worked for us last year. There is a cost if you want to text and call people when you are on board. It was 7.95 a phone (for the entire week) but now I think they raised it a dollar more. We thought it was worth it. If we separated we could get ahold of each other. And it was good for our daughter too which she could text us with her Ipod. If you don't want the texting and calling you can still download the app for free (download it before you get on the ship) then you can book shows and restaurants and see your Stateroom Account balance.

iConcierge is now $9.95 (for texting and calling onboard) for a seven night cruise but the app has been updated and works better. Keep in mind though, that you have to keep it open or you will not get messages.

It's called iConcierge. Last time I used it, there's was also a $4. activation fee in addition to the current usage fee. That's only if you activate the text/call features. Note that Windows users have reported more difficulties using the app than Android or iOS users.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

It's called iConcierge. Last time I used it, there's was also a $4. activation fee in addition to the current usage fee. That's only if you activate the text/call features. Note that Windows users have reported more difficulties using the app than Android or iOS users.

Is the activation fee new? I was on the BA in March and not charged this. TIA

iConcierge is now $9.95 (for texting and calling onboard) for a seven night cruise but the app has been updated and works better. Keep in mind though, that you have to keep it open or you will not get messages.

So I was going to reply originally that the app was buggy.

Ha thanks for confirming this. I thought it was only my family! :D

Recently on my Jewel trip, some members complained that they weren't getting mssgs.

I suspected it wasn't running - at least in the background - or wasn't fully connected to the ship's network at all time.

Is the activation fee new? I was on the BA in March and not charged this. TIA

I may be mistaken. It would not be new as my last cruise was April 2015.

Edited by Rhea98

I'd be inclined to just use the many WiFi cafes around and use Signal/Whatsapp.

If you're European and going on an EU cruise - then you can just use your phone as EU carrier can't charge roaming fees anymore! Win!

The Android Apps was last updated Nov. 2015 and might explain some of the connectivity issues but at least it won't randomly reconnect to NCL's ship tower on land, unlike the ones on my backup iPhone 5S, which seemed to somehow triggered an alert after reconnecting to the ship's WiFi signal. Or, someone on the other side trying to hack into my device & read its content :D or push ads out.

There was no activation fee for using the iConcierge as of May, 2016 on the Breakaway, enabling the App's paid feature to text & call other registered users on the ship was a one-time fee and good for duration of the cruise ($9.95 for us, $12.95 to as much as $14.95 on other NCL ships with the systems working & enabled ... not all ships, as said already) SpeedNet is now 2+ weeks late in its fleetwide rollout & that ain't helping, FWIW :rolleyes:

The optional VoIP voice calling, paid feature on the APP does not require the activation fee, an unique 8 digit telephone number is automatically assigned upon initial free registration with the ship's WiFi inTRAnet system.

WiFi signals on the BA is dual band - on the popular/common/older 2.4 GHz frequencies (3 of the 11 channels used, to avoid interference) and on the newer/faster/less congested 5 GHz band, where newer hardware (mid & top tiered) have built-in support/compatibility for using the WiFi signals.

Even for the Breakaway, the performance of the iConcierge APP is best described as somewhat functional and very tempermental for most users - put it this way, I would NOT depend on it to deliver an urgent message of life-n-death or otherwise emergency in nature.

Use the free stateroom-to-stateroom intercom phone to call, leave a free VM, have a plan on where to meet onboard during the day while at sea, sticky mini-yellow pad notes, walk over & knock on the door, etc. Interesting enough, didn't see one single pair of toy walkie-talkies in use this year on the ship ... they are a waste of time, full of static as a line-of-sight gadget for the outdoors.

Project Fi (by Google) is the answer once docked in ports for staying in touch -