Live from Sapphire!

merela

We just left Cabo San Lucas and are heading towards Los Angeles. In 48 hours, this cruise will be over!!!

I have all the Patters and the kids' Patters as well, but not all the menus.

For the benefit of some people who will board this ship in 2 days, I have some information about the 3 ports of call.

Since we are travelling with 2 small children, we went looking for hotel swimmng pools at each port of call. In Puerto Vallarta, we went to Krystal Hotel. We walked there and used the side gate. We didn't have to pay the $10 pp charge (which you can pay at the front desk) and you can use the $10 to deduct the food/beverage costs. Instead, we bought some drinks. No one hassled us. Even if we didn't order drinks, I think they would have let us stayed. Beer were $3 per cup. Bring your own towels from the ship.

In Mazatlan, we took the taxi from the terminal to one of the hotels in the Golden Zone. We left the ship about 10am, we bargained for a taxi (4 adults and 2 small children) and for $10 a taxi took us to the Hotel. The name escapes me, but it was mentioned in the Mazatlan thread in the Mexican Riviera board. So bargain with the taxi driver always. Again, $10 cab fare back to the ship, but this taxi driver took the coastal route instead of going through the city, so we got to see the city.

In Cabo, we also got off the ship late, some time past 10am, so no tender tickets were required. We just walked to midship deck 4 and hopped onto a tender. When we got off the tender, we were solicited by a bunch of people, the smart thing would be to turn left and go towards the water taxi hub. Of course no one in our party took a map, so I couldn't be 100% sure. But just go there and bargain with a water taxi driver to Medano Beach (sp?) where the Mellia Hotel is located. We didn't bargain much and were willing to pay the going rate of $2.50 pp (children were free), but a couple behind us paid $1 each to get in the taxi. So do bargain.

When we got off the taxi, you need to hop off the water taxi into the water. Someone came to help us off the taxi. We thought they were with the taxi driver, but no, they were just hanging off the beach on purpose. After they helped us off the taxi, they wanted tip. That was a surprise to us. I gave him a buck and he seemed OK with that. So if you don't want to bother with tipping these guys, just refuse help.

Same thing happened to us on our way back. This time we knew and had the $1 ready. As long as our kids get off the water taxi safely, it was OK, but still, to ask for tip just lending a helping hand?!

The Mellia Hotel is wonderful with white day beds all over the sides of the pool. The pool water is extremely cold, but clean. No one hassled us for drinks and I only saw a couple more Princess beach towels there, so not many people from the ship came there. We ended up buying a virgin strawberry daiquiri for the kids $5 (or 55 pesos) and asked to split it into 2 cups and a frozen marguarita $7 (also split into 2 cups). Not bad for the use of that facility. The beach along side these hotels are great!!! Bring your snorkling equipment if you want to swim with fish!

We didn't do any shopping, so I don't have any information on that.

That's it for now.

I checked and the hotel we went to was El Cid Hotel in Mazatlan. It's really far from the cruise terminal. $10 taxi ride is well worth the $$.

We bought some beer for $3 per cup. They pour Tecate Beer from a large bottle. You can do the timeshare tour and get free lunch and free cab ride, but we didn't bother with that.

The weather in Mazatlan and Cabo was around 77F so under the shade, it was kind of cold to stay in the pool. Ocean temperature in Cabo was much warmer than the pool water temperature. So if you have small children, remember to not let them sit in the water too long. If they keep on moving, they'll be warm enough.

I look forward to hearing more about your trip and the Sapphire when you get back. Hope you have smooth seas on the way home!

By the way, can you tell me what the kids age groupings were? Thanks!

Thanks for the post -- I love postings during cruises, it almost feels as though I was there!! Is there any chance you could bring back menus so you could scan them or at least answer questions ---- other posters have said the DR will give you copies if you ask them. Thanks for all the info.....

We just left Cabo San Lucas and are heading towards Los Angeles. In 48 hours, this cruise will be over!!!

Since we are travelling with 2 small children, we went looking for hotel swimmng pools at each port of call. In Puerto Vallarta, we went to Krystal Hotel. We walked there and used the side gate. We didn't have to pay the $10 pp charge (which you can pay at the front desk)

For some reason, cruise ship passengers feel that when their ship pulls into town, any of the hotels pools are there for their use.:(

We think it is despicable for cruise ship passengers to feel the hotel pools are there for free, or if they buy a drink, they get free run of the place.

If there is a $10 pp charge, you should pay it.

I also can't believe that you taught your two small children that it is okay to sneak in the side gate.:mad:

For some reason, cruise ship passengers feel that when their ship pulls into town, any of the hotels pools are there for their use.:(

We think it is despicable for cruise ship passengers to feel the hotel pools are there for free, or if they buy a drink, they get free run of the place.

If there is a $10 pp charge, you should pay it.

I also can't believe that you taught your two small children that it is okay to sneak in the side gate.:mad:

I take offense to your comment!!! We didn't teach children to sneak into the side gate. We walked into the side gate with our Princess beach towels in our hands and with the permission of the security guard manning the side gate. I mentioned the side gate because it's closer to the cruise terminal and people didn't have to walk another 10 minutes in the hot sun! We told the security guard we want to use the pool and he let us in! We were under the impression that $10 pp was the charge and that was 5 years ago! And we have been paying that amount for years then just buy food and drinks within the $10pp limit. After doing research on this board, we realized that it wasn't necessary to pay the $10 pp and we just have to spend $$. Not that I have to justify how much I spent at the Krystal, but we bought over $25 of food and drinks there.

FYI, there is NO sign at the Krystal Hotel anywhere on the premise that there is a $10 pp charge for the use of their pool. We would be happy to pay that amount if that was required.

We tried to see the public beach (free for all) from another hotel and the security guard there did not let us in and we didn't try to "crash" that hotel! We told him we only wanted to see the beach, but he said no, so we respected the rules there and didn't access the public beach from that hotel.

These hotels have vigilant security watching at every guest at the pool, so you are not likely to be able to sneak in for day use unless you have their permission. Plus, the Princess striped beach towels are a dead give away that you don't stay at the hotel.

I wish before anyone making any derogatory statement about another cruiser's experience at a port, you should read up on what's happening at that port.

No one can have a "free run" of the hotel pool unless they let you.

Also, the day pool experience we had were exclusively our own. We asked the bar waiters we encountered whether we can use their pool, all said we were welcome. I just didn't go into the details of each of our visit. I just thought this information (regarding which hotel pools are available to Sapphire Princess cruisers) would be useful to people in the coming sailings.

I really was offended by your comment that we had a FREE run of a hotel pool just because we were on the cruise.

I look forward to hearing more about your trip and the Sapphire when you get back. Hope you have smooth seas on the way home!

By the way, can you tell me what the kids age groupings were? Thanks!

3-5, 6-9, 10-12, 13-17. There are over 300 kids on this cruise, 270+ were over 3. There were 79 kids in the 13-17 age group. Believe me, the Youth Security are visible and enforcing the rules. NO problem with kids on this cruise.

I take offense to your comment!!! We didn't teach children to sneak into the side gate. We walked into the side gate with our Princess beach towels in our hands and with the permission of the security guard manning the side gate.

FYI, there is NO sign at the Krystal Hotel anywhere on the premise that there is a $10 pp charge for the use of their pool. We would be happy to pay that amount if that was required.

No one can have a "free run" of the hotel pool unless they let you.

I really was offended by your comment that we had a FREE run of a hotel pool just because we were on the cruise.

Okay you convinced me as long as no one throws me out I can use the Hotel's Public Pools.

And in the future, I can check into the Motel 6 up the street and walk down and use all the pool facilites at the Hilton, (if the lax securtiy guards dont throw me out).

I'm sure all the hotel patron that paid 100, 200 or 300 a night for their facilities don't mind all the cruise ship passengers using their pool.

If it was okay to use the pool, I just felt that it should come from the front desk.

It's another example of first checking the facts before jumping all over a poster. BTW, when I was reading up on Hawaii for our cruise, the tourbooks all mentioned that the beaches belong to everyone...hotels may not refused access to anyone, whether staying at their hotel or not. Haven't checked into hotel's swimming pools -- whether they can deny access or charge a fee. About four years ago we went to Sapphire Beach on St.Thomas and we went through a resort to get there. No problem, plenty of other people from our cruiseship. But I do remember my hubby getting tude from the bartender there. He pretended not to notice him waiting to get a drink.

Enjoy your last day at sea. What age kids patters do you have? Our family is doing that cruise in Feb and our niece is in the 6-9 bracket. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I will post them later on tonight after I unpack and get the kids to bed.

Who is the Captain and the Cruise Director - we sail Dec 31st.

Thanks

Captain is Tony Yeoman and CD is Billy Hygate. I'm not sure of the spelling of their names. I will double-check their spelling in the Patters later. Both are excellent men. Captain Yeoman signed my daughter's homework scrapbook and I believe he worked his way up the ranks. Apparently, he was on the Royal Princess' maiden voyage. I've seen Billy Hygate before in Diamond (or maybe it was the Star). He is funny and wouldn't do too bad as a comedian.

It's another example of first checking the facts before jumping all over a poster. BTW' date=' when I was reading up on Hawaii for our cruise, the tourbooks all mentioned that the beaches belong to everyone...hotels may not refused access to anyone, whether staying at their hotel or not. Haven't checked into hotel's swimming pools -- whether they can deny access or charge a fee. About four years ago we went to Sapphire Beach on St.Thomas and we went through a resort to get there. No problem, plenty of other people from our cruiseship. But I do remember my hubby getting tude from the bartender there. He pretended not to notice him waiting to get a drink.[/quote']

Beaches and pools are different things. In many countries as you mention, they are public property. Pools are private property and there is no question as to the Hotel's right to charge a fee for use or completely deny access.

I have been on cruises where we were advised by the ship that we were not welcome at certain Hotels... so do not even try to walk through. I have also been at ports were the Hotels came down with vans to pick us up and haul us to their facility.

Beaches, while access is public in most countries, we should expect to pay for use of umbrellas and lounges. In Europe it can be sizable... more than that $10 ea refered to in a previous post. In the Caribbean, at an "all inclusive" it can be $100 ea for day use, but you get to eat their food and drink their drinks for a set timeframe.

I find the fact your husband got the "tude" from the bartender you did not come to the conclusion you were not welcome. Just because the beach is public, it does not mean we should expect to be able to access it through the hotel front door. Hawii is a good point in question... I have been to those beaches on all of the major islands, and we did not need to go through the Hotel front door to get to them... and the "line" where the resort ends and the beach begins is obvious... it is a cement walkway.

It's at the discretion of each hotel whether they welcome cruisers or not for day use. The main reason for me to post this in the first place is to let those of you who wants the use of hotel pools in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas where these hotels are. I want to point out those hotels where cruisers are welcome.

I'm not a "gate" crasher and there are hotel security guards at every hotels we went to. There were no signs anywhere on the property where we visited requesting a set fee for day use. But we were prepared to pay for the use of their facilities. Instead, we were approached by bartenders and waiters at all the hotels we were at and bought drinks and food from them. No one hassled us at all. If we were asked to leave, we would have done so gladly. We were not hiding the fact that we are from a Princess cruise because we were using our Princess beach towels in open view.

If you feel uncomfortable about my methods, you are welcome to go to the front desk of each hotel and ask to pay for day use.

As for "crashing" LAX hotel pools, you are welcome to do so. But if your idea of fun is walking down smoggy Century Blvd., or Sepulveda, please do so.

way to go Merela..you would think a guy with that many cruises under his belt would be a bit more informed of what hotels allow cruisers use of their facilities..or at least get his facts straight before spouting off in a very unfriendly manner..pardon me for saying so but the gentleman seems to have an attitude..if you look at the level of cruises he has taken they are high end..just because he has taken alot of cruises doesn;t give him the right to act in such a derrogatory manner..he sounds a bit stuffy to me..I'm glad he doesn't use the hotel facilities..he seems like an old stick in the mud..

sorry for spouting off but people like that get my dander..there was a lady in line when they announced Platinum memeber and Elite memeber may board..she was behind my faughter being very rude literally pushing her with her suitcase..and saying very derrogatory remarks about her having a blue card and tried to push by her..she failed think..or take the time to see the Platinum cards of her parents..and she went right around everyone in line and went right to the front waving her black elite card..same attiude as this jcl guy..gee maybe it was his wife:eek:

ok Ive said my piece..it's too bad everyone can't get along..cruising and meeting new friends is wonderful..for some of us..

Archived