What's with the CP beams on the balconies?

lmmn

Are they random or just certain decks?

Explorer of the Seas ~ 10/02

Majesty of the Seas ~ 1/03

Majesty of the Seas ~ 8/11/03

Navigator of the Seas ~ 10/11/03

Serenade of the Seas ~ 1/31/04

Caribbean Princess ~ 8/14/04

Adventure of the Seas ~ 1/30/05

In some of the recent posts there is mention about "beams" (meaning large posts) in the middle of some balconies on the Caribbean Princess.

I believe in reading the threads......they were talking about "beams" on the Emerald deck, with some of the mini suites?????

Could this possibly have something to do with the life boats??

Jim

Nordic Prince 8/88

Viking Serenade 3/93

Enchantment 3/01

Rhapsody 9/02

Splendour 4/03

Rhapsody, 9/03

Brilliance, 4/04

Until Our Caribbean Princess Cruise countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;06;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Hawaii on Inifinity

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;4;6;23;59;00&timezone=GMT-1100

The outboard PS/VS suites on Caribe and Dolphin have a 16" vertical I-beam that pierces the balcony. It causes a minor obstruction but it's not even close to being equivalent to having a lifeboat hanging outside your window.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

Caribbean Princess redux 6/25/05

If I had paid for an obstruction I would understand. I paid for a full suite a year in advance! The suite next to us was wonderfull. We ended up just being able to use half of our balcony! If ou have any guestions just let me know.

Janet

I'm not aware of this problem on the sides of the ship, only on the back. If you look at the picture at http://community.webshots.com/photo/143063204/143064321fgnSST, you can see the beams obstructing the view. The decks starting from the top row of balconies are Aloha, Baja, Caribe, Dolphin and Emerald. The absolute worst of any of these cabins would be B750 and B751, the second in on either side on the Baja deck (second deck down). These are just regular-width balcony cabins so the beam in the middle is a major obstruction. I've paid for a minisuite in September and I would gladly accept an upgrade to one of the suites with the beam since this would still be more usable deck space and view than I have paid for. I woud be disappointed if I had paid the same price as the totally unobstructed suites, though.

Island Princess 7/75

NCL S/S Norway 6/83

RCCL Song of America 3/87

HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 7/97

Sea Princess 10/01

NCL Norwegian Wind 2/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until 9/11 Caribbean Princess - Western Caribbean!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;16;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until 10/16 Celebrity Century - Eastern Caribbean!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bellagio:

We ended up just being able to use half of our balcony! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The beam took up a little room (D736), but as to consuming half the balcony, that's a bit of an overstatement.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

Coming up:

Actually I started the thread yesterday when I had a concern over the support beam in cabin B750. But thanks to all the people that responed I decided to keep the cabin and not change, because it sounded like they had enough room for table, chairs and lounges. Princess said that the cabin was 285 sq ft compared to some of the other ones on the aft.

So I will put a smiley on the beam and enjoy my cruise, since that is the most important part.

Happy crusing

Jerlyn.

Jerlyn -

Love your attitude!!! I didn't realize it was only the aft balconies. A beam like that on a regular size balcony would be much more of an obstruction. Enjoy your cruise!

We did have an aft suite. C750 I am not overstating that it did waste half of our balcony. We had all of the nice teak furniture but it was stacked and cramed together! We had an aft suite on the Sea Princess last year, and there is no comparrison. The suite was twice the size!! (For the same price) Has anyone noticed that the size of the cabin's on the Sun class are much roomier than the Grand class?

Bellagio:

My parents had C751 and also had the beam and were a bit disappointed. It did definitely make for a cramped balcony. Because of it, they would not book this suite again. They are real balcony people. You are not alone in your thoughts.

Lisa

christiansmom

"Overstating an issue" is not the same as an accusation of whinninig [sic]. My opinion as to the severity of the obstruction differs. It IS possible to make a mountain out of a molehill, after all.

Completed:

Coming up:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Has anyone noticed that the size of the cabin's on the Sun class are much roomier than the Grand class? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> The suites and mini-suites, yes - standard cabins, no.

-------------------------

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

Archived