Coffee Bar on Escape?

MT Cruiser

It's been awhile since I've been on NCL (2009) and maybe I'm just missing it but I don't see anywhere to get a specialty coffee on the NCL Escape. Other cruise lines have had dedicated Coffee Bars and I know RCCL has Starbucks on many or maybe all of their ships. I can't remember if the Pearl or Dawn had Coffee Shops.

Thanks!

• Like 1

As stated above, yes, the Atrium bar. Coffee was fine. Better than elsewhere on the ship. You can get any of your espresso drinks, blended beverages, etc. AND, the macaroons were delicious. :-)

I think it was the same menu on the Escape as this person posted from the Getaway:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45942507

Note the drinks from the cafe aren't included in the UBP.

I know that I've told this story before, but there were multiple occasions where my family and I were in the Atrium for quizzes or other activities and all I wanted was a cup of plain black coffee.

Could I get one under the UBP? Nope - coffee was not included, and if I wanted a cup, I would have to pay for it out of pocket.

Could I order a coffee and Baileys from the bar under the UBP and ask them to hold the Baileys? Yup, not a problem and no charge.

• Thanks 1

Could I get one under the UBP? Nope - coffee was not included, and if I wanted a cup, I would have to pay for it out of pocket.

Could I order a coffee and Baileys from the bar under the UBP and ask them to hold the Baileys? Yup, not a problem and no charge.

This really has nothing to do with UBP or the Lavazza coffee available at the atrium bar. Coffee is complimentary, and available at many (all?) restaurants & bars.

This really has nothing to do with UBP or the Lavazza coffee available at the atrium bar. Coffee is complimentary, and available at many (all?) restaurants & bars.

Not sure I'm fully understanding your response to my post - it had everything to do with the UBP and how it was/wasn't applied.

While sitting in the Atrium with my family and wanting a cup of coffee instead of an expensive alcoholic beverage, my choices were to either: 1 - walk up to the coffee bar, order a cup, and pay for it, or 2 - I could order a coffee and Baileys from the bar/server, ask them to hold the Baileys, and not be charged a thing as the drink was rung in under the UBP.

The two or three times over the cruise when this situation arose, I was given the same cup of coffee from the coffee bar that I would have received had I ordered it from them directly, and saved NCL the cost of a couple of shots of Baileys and some whipping cream.

The point that I was trying to make - and perhaps it's just more humorous to me than it is to anyone else - is that under the UBP, a decent cup of coffee on its own was not covered, but that same cup with all of the trimmings, was.

Not sure I'm fully understanding your response to my post - it had everything to do with the UBP and how it was/wasn't applied.

My understanding...

Anything ordered from the Atrium Cafe (coffee bar) incurs a fee. Nothing is free here. If you order a Coffee with Bailey's, assuming they'll fulfill this - they'll charge you for the coffee and walk over to the Atrium bar to drop in your shot.

Alternatively you can order the "house coffee" from many restaurants and bars (or cocktail waitresses), and this will be free. This is not the same coffee brewed in the cafe. If you order a "Coffee with Bailey's", this would come from the Atrium Bar, not the Cafe.

Due to the close proximity between the bar and cafe, it's entirely possible that the cafe brews the house coffee.

What do I know for sure? Very little.

My understanding...

Anything ordered from the Atrium Cafe (coffee bar) incurs a fee. Nothing is free here. If you order a Coffee with Bailey's, assuming they'll fulfill this - they'll charge you for the coffee and walk over to the Atrium bar to drop in your shot.

Alternatively you can order the "house coffee" from many restaurants and bars (or cocktail waitresses), and this will be free. This is not the same coffee brewed in the cafe. If you order a "Coffee with Bailey's", this would come from the Atrium Bar, not the Cafe.

Due to the close proximity between the bar and cafe, it's entirely possible that the cafe brews the house coffee.

What do I know for sure? Very little.

I watched the bartender walk the 10 steps over to the coffee bar to get the coffee for my drink and I had no additional charges on my account for this, as it was considered an alcoholic drink under the UBP and not a coffee beverage. Perhaps something has changed in the four months since I sailed on the Escape and they're now charging for this, but I can confirm that I had no additional costs on my account.

I watched the bartender walk the 10 steps over to the coffee bar to get the coffee for my drink and I had no additional charges on my account for this, as it was considered an alcoholic drink under the UBP and not a coffee beverage. Perhaps something has changed in the four months since I sailed on the Escape and they're now charging for this, but I can confirm that I had no additional costs on my account.

Yeah - I'm not doubting that you weren't charged. I've ordered many a coffees with alcohol on board with UBP, and have never had much of an issue. I once had a waiter tell me that irish coffee isn't included with UBP, but then didn't charge me anyways. All other times it wasn't even questioned.

What's interesting - plain old "coffee" isn't listed on the Cafe menu posted above. If their plain coffee is something above what's available elsewhere on the ship, then I suppose that's a hack to be known - that the Atrium bar may source their coffee for mixed drinks from the cafe.

This was my experience last year on the Getaway. Having struggled to find a "free" coffee that I enjoyed until I had an Irish coffee at the Atrium Bar one evening and watched the bar tender get the coffee for it from the coffee bar. I then like you ordered a speciality coffee hold the liquor and cream and enjoyed a premium black coffee included in my UBP. It's nuts!