NCL DAWN 11/29-12/04 excursions

tddbr00

Just booked our cruise from NOLA to the Western Caribbean and I know this is one of the first trips for the Dawn since dry dock. Having been to Progresso and Cozumel on Carnival, I'm looking for tips on excursions in Roatan, Harvest caye and Costa Maya for a budget minded cruiser. ( I.e. when in progresso don't pay for the corona beach party. walk down the beach a little further grab a table in the sand at Buddy's. We actually drank them out of corona :) :o:D plus free tequila shots and spent $35USD) Any tips or suggestions to avoid the crowds and keep my pocket book full is appreciated.

Ive started pricing places and it seems I can save avg $10-25 by booking directly and not through NCL.

Also what should we avoid? I know that is more of an opinion question but Im reading alot of neg reviews on the tequila/cocoa tastings.

When in Costa Maya, we ALWAYS head for Maya Chan. Adults $55? and kids $45?. Includes all food and drinks, soda and alcohol. It truly is the best excursion we have ever gone on. Just sit back and relax, they take great care of customers. Space is limited so we always book real early. I am sure that you will see more of the same recommendations soon. You can book thru their website. In Roatan, we booked Roatan trips and tours. Price seemed ok, will be there over Thanksgiving and will post a review then.

We are sailing on the Dawn Thanksgiving week and this will be our second time on this itinerary.

Costa Maya has a beach walkway/town about 5 minutes from the dock. Walk through the entire dock area and get on the $2 trolley, which will take you into town. The trolley has 4 stops. The first stop will drop you off near Blue Kay (quieter beach club area at the start of the town). The second and third stops will drop you off at the center section of the town/beach walkway (Krazy Lobster, Tropicante, etc). The last stop will drop you off at the end of the walkway (Pez Quadro, Nohoch Kay, etc). All of these beach clubs accept "walk-ins" and "pay-as-you-go" options. No reason to reserve, especially if you are the only ship in town. We spent the day at Pez Quadro last year and really enjoyed it, although it was pretty quiet down at the end. We are planning to go more towards the center of town this year (no reservations) . We had our kids with us and no safety concerns/issues, and very easy to get to. We spent less than $50 for the entire day, food and drinks included.

For Roatan, consider using a private tour outfit such as Victor Bodden. They offer both group and private tours at a fraction of the price of the cruise tours. Their website will list the prices for hiring a tour/guide for the day. The private tour/driver will customize your day according to what you want. They will take you to various places around the island, and will even drop you off at a beach/beach club ($ 10 - $ 20 usage fee + pay-as-you go drinks), right next to the cruise ship Tabyana beach club, that charges $79 per adult. If you aren't interested in touring the island and just doing the beach, there are many beach clubs that you can just spend the day at.

No input on Harvest Caye as this will be our first year at their private island.

We have done Maya Key twice in Roatan and loved it. (only available through NCL). On our last cruise we did a private tour with Channin Bodden and that was a great way to see the island.

We have gone to Maya Chan three times in Costa Maya and cant wait to go again. Great day!!

hey great info this is the kind of stuff that I love to hear. I was especially wondering about the, I guess they are called beach clubs. I never understood why you would pay $100 for something that you can get for $25

I am not booked on the same dates as you, but we have the same itinerary.

Would it be hijacking the thread to ask what there is to do near/at the port of Cozumel that everyone enjoys? I had really wanted to do the Isla Pasion excursion but it doesn't seem to be available for our cruise? Do they open more excursions as time goes by?

Costa Maya looks like the most fun actual port from what I can find online (shopping, Senior Frogs, beach access) but I don't think we will get to enjoy it due to the fact that before I realized that I had told the kids about the ruins/waterpark excursion...

Thanks for any advice!

Tracy :)

Edited by trcyfrrr

• 2 weeks later...
oooh that place looks good! I've never been to Costa Maya! Just made our reservation!

Which place do you mean? When is your trip? Is it the same as the original poster? If it is before mine, I need to hear all about it! I am LIVING in this forum but it seems time is passing SO slowly as I wait.....

Has anyone done the Costa Maya beach break through NCL recently?

It doesn't say exactly what beach it is and reviews have 2 diff beaches named (Uverro and Maulhaul).

I'd love to do Maya Chan , but I'm skeptical about booking a beach break early since weather in November for rain is hit or miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

trcyfrrr - It is awesome and you are welcome! Enjoy!

Sotermarler - Maya Chan's website states that if it is raining and you choose not to go they will refund you...you can't go and leave if it rains but you can decline the trip if it is raining.