For those who have been to Mahogony Bay, Isla Roatan

Joliving4Jesus

I've run into a problem with excursions on this island, I planned to do a park where you get to interact with free roaming monkeys and then go to the beach after, unfortunately I waited too long to book and the only time slot left is 8:15am, way too early for us. So there is another excursion which is the monkeys alone and no beach that starts at 9:45am, the thing is I want the monkeys and my 8 year old son wants the beach, if I choose to book the monkey excursion, it ends by 12:15pm and our ship doesn't leave until 6:00pm, how is this island set up? When we get back from this excursion can you walk to an area of the beach to enjoy the beach or will you have to take a taxi to get there? From the looks of pictures it looks like you could walk off your ship and onto the beach but I am not sure, any input would be appreciated!

I'd book Little French Key. It's not a Carnival excursion but it's absolutely awesome. LFK has animals and I know others have held monkeys there. (we didn't but it was because we had no interest in doing that and never looked into it) Go to LittleFrenchKey.com and reserve a spot. Then, on the day of your arrival you'll walk just outside of the gate of the port and meet Dave or Larry who will shuttle you to the quick short boat ride to paradise. You can explore all of the package options at the website before you reserve. Reserving is free. You pay cash when you get there.

Check out Victor Bodden on port of call pages for additional tours.

Easy walk to the beach by the ship.

I agree Victor Bodden tours are the way to go, a short walk up the hill and then off to your tour, including the petting zoo/monkey farm.

Don't worry about the beach part; as others have said, you walk off the ship, up into the shopping area, turn right and head to the beach. Can't take 10 minutes. But, that said, this island is both my boys favorites and they have made at least 4 trips here on cruises in the last 10 years. We have done Gumbalimba Park (monkeys, gardens and small beach), Tabayana Beach (best snorkeling from shore I have found), Victor Bodden (zip line and monkeys, plus time at West Bay beach) and Island Marketing (island tour with monkeys, birds and SLOTH!, as well as iguanas)

We loved Victor Bodden, but for an 8 year old, the zip line can be scary. My youngest was about 8, and was scared at first, but ran the first line with the guide and was then more confident to go on his own and loved it. Their favorite however has been Island Marketing. They took us to a place similar to Bodden's but you also go to hold the most adorable sloth; none of us wanted to put him down! And the iguana place is amazing; they are like dogs and will lean into you while you stroke their sides.

Anyway, that is a long way of saying, please book a independent tour here; you will just have to walk about 15 minutes, exiting the port and walking down the hill where you will find your guide waiting with a sign. Customize what you want to do and you will make a memory of a lifetime.

We did Little French Key last Spring Break. If you tell them when you get there that you want to see the Monkeys, your waiter will come get you when it's time. He did it for us, we were in a group of about 6 who he took and we had time with 3 different monkeys to hold and play with for about 20-30 min. We also got to pet the lion (I know, it's a lion, right?! But we did pet him and all came back with our fingers)

We loved LFK and would totally go back again.

I'd book Little French Key. It's not a Carnival excursion but it's absolutely awesome. LFK has animals and I know others have held monkeys there. (we didn't but it was because we had no interest in doing that and never looked into it) Go to LittleFrenchKey.com and reserve a spot. Then, on the day of your arrival you'll walk just outside of the gate of the port and meet Dave or Larry who will shuttle you to the quick short boat ride to paradise. You can explore all of the package options at the website before you reserve. Reserving is free. You pay cash when you get there.

LFK is the best place in the entire carribean. Just amazing, super clear waters nice little zoo good food, drinks great people and my favorite was a diving (or jumping) platform.

The place is awesome, surrounded by water and they let you hold monkeys. They also have paddle boards and offer guided snorkeling along the wall.

Edited by Floating Lanai

on the first sea day of our cruise we went to a show in the main auditorium for newbie cruisers. Josh the CD explained a lot of things about how tenders work and ships time and excursions and stuff but the real reason we were there is for the drawings. And we won! We scored a free excursion to Maya Key Beach club snorkeling and lunch.

We had originally planned to hire a Victor Bodden driver for the day to take us around and see the island but we couldn't turn down a free excursion. (DW really really wanted to go to the cameo factory. but since she didn't get to go there, I take this as a sign we need to cruise again to see what we missed the first time)

So we went to Maya key and the beach was beautiful, the food was good and the monkeys were adorable:

eb7x2q.gif

VB was very gracious in canceling our driver. I mean, he could have easily been grumpy about losing the full day fare but instead he congratulated us for winning the free excursion and said they would be happy to show us Roatan on our next cruise. We will be hiring a driver from him next time.

So I guess the point of this is to say if the Maya Key excursion was the one you missed out on, get Victor Bodden to show you around. He'll customize a tour for you to include everything you want to see and do and make sure you get back to the ship on time.

If that wasn't the excursion you wanted, see if you can get it - it was pretty great. Wife and I don't snorkel but I did lounge about on the beach and heard the snorkelers coming back and they seemed to have had a good time.

LFK was great! went a few years ago. one of the monkeys just latched on to my DW and would not let go. Held her while we took a tour of the island. She would pass her off to someone else and the monkey would come straight back to DW. ask about the story of the animals, most were rescues.

One hint about the beach after leaving the ship you go through one shop. If you will turn right yo will see a nature trail. It is a little shorter walk comes out just before the bridge leading over the beach. couple of great picture spots of your ship.

We have booked with Daniel Johnson, to tour the island, visit the monkey and sloth sanctuary, then visit a beach. I read lots of reviews about him which sounded great, so I'm very optimistic.

We contacted him, told him what we wanted. He messaged back saying our tour could begin one hour after docking, whatever time that would be, and we would be returned to the port one hour before "all aboard" time, or sooner if we so desired.

• 1 month later...
Don't worry about the beach part; as others have said, you walk off the ship, up into the shopping area, turn right and head to the beach. Can't take 10 minutes. But, that said, this island is both my boys favorites and they have made at least 4 trips here on cruises in the last 10 years. We have done Gumbalimba Park (monkeys, gardens and small beach), Tabayana Beach (best snorkeling from shore I have found), Victor Bodden (zip line and monkeys, plus time at West Bay beach) and Island Marketing (island tour with monkeys, birds and SLOTH!, as well as iguanas)

We loved Victor Bodden, but for an 8 year old, the zip line can be scary. My youngest was about 8, and was scared at first, but ran the first line with the guide and was then more confident to go on his own and loved it. Their favorite however has been Island Marketing. They took us to a place similar to Bodden's but you also go to hold the most adorable sloth; none of us wanted to put him down! And the iguana place is amazing; they are like dogs and will lean into you while you stroke their sides.

Anyway, that is a long way of saying, please book a independent tour here; you will just have to walk about 15 minutes, exiting the port and walking down the hill where you will find your guide waiting with a sign. Customize what you want to do and you will make a memory of a lifetime.

How was Gumbalimba park? Did you have time to snorkel at the beach area?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk