TO CORAL RE: Wireless network

pamwinn

Coral, Is there anything you can think of that I need to do to prepare my laptop (ibook w/airport) to be able to connect to the wireless network on the Sapphire? I've only used airport at home and in my Grad classes I've connected it to the one port available in the room and shared the internet connection with both PC users and Macs. None of this required any configuration effort on my part to speak of.

Sapphire Princess Inaugural

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;6;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Pam,

You have the exact same setup I have (Airport base station at home) and wireless on campus (we use Lucent access points at work) with an iBook.

I have not heard from anyone personally that has used the wireless network on the Diamond yet but I have read several reports that there is a wireless access point in the internet center/cafe on the Diamond. I have every reason to believe so and assume that it is also on the Sapphire. I hope it is setup on the first sailing icon_smile.gif

I have connected my iBook to many of hotels and access points at airports, restaurants and never had a problem. Since the iBooks use 802.11b and 802.11g - you are using the standards that the majority of wireless networks use (very few use the 802.11a variety).

The only thing you should have to do is go to the Airport icon on the menu bar - you will probably need to select the available network and you should be fine.

My only question is how they keep track of using their wireless network - at the airports that charge for internet access, the moment I get a connection to the network, a browser window pops up (or I try to browse and a default window pops up) and it asks for account information. I assume this is how they are doing it on the ship but haven't heard from anyone. I am assuming they are charging for non-platinum people and allowing platinum people to be free.

Not sure if I am of any help or not. I believe Bruce was on the Island Princess with his iBook - we should ask him. I have yet to be on a ship where i can use my ibook.

Thanks Coral. I am going to take it along to keep a journal and dl my digital photos. Otherwise, I know from experience, I'll never post a review and I want to payback this board for all the useful info I've received over the last couple of years.

Sapphire Princess Inaugural

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;6;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Archived