Martinis included in the UBP?

aggiemom11

A regular Cosmopolitan is included. The french kiss martini is also included and pretty tasty. I was very disappointed that the chocolate martini and espresso martini are NOT included. I wasn't opposed to paying the difference but it seems absurd that martinis are $17.95. I wonder if those without UBP are buying any of these crazy-priced drinks.

Is the exorbitant price of the chocolate and espresso martinis because they're using some expensive brand of alcohol? If so could they make the chocolate martini and expresso martini with a less expensive brand?

Edited by Jana60

I am new to NCL. It sounds like if you have the beverage package and order a drink above the amount allowed you only have to pay the difference. Is this correct?
Yes, that is correct. Doesn't hurt to confirm this with the bartender to avoid misunderstanding.
Is the exorbitant price of the chocolate and espresso martinis because they're using some expensive brand of alcohol? If so could they make the chocolate martini and expresso martini with a less expensive brand?
It says "made with your favorite vodka", which suggests to me that even if you ask for the cheap stuff, the price does not change. But I hope someone will find out for sure and report back.

I'm new to the UBP. Does anyone know where I can find a list of beers, wines, and cocktails so that I can estimate how much we, personally, are saving?

Thanks in advance.

Here's everything I've been able to download from other recent posts here at Cruise Critic.

1471905052882.jpg.fcf0cac561f928025b3e1f810b6a591d.jpg

1471905066632.jpg.397d89ecf3642aafa46ff32d7fec3604.jpg

1471905076847.jpg.c019514f248b77e5084edc34a4816fee.jpg

1471905090748.jpg.c5fa2dfe277a1e09ae779c2b646705c7.jpg

Probably more because of the fact that they are made with chocolate and espresso, although I don't know of any other place that charges this for the same drinks. And tell me why the La Paloma martini, made with tequila and grapefruit juice should warrant 17.95. I just had one at a local, pretty upscale restaurant for $10 or $11. In fact, I have not seen any drinks, anywhere, in that price range.

La Paloma is made with Patrón Silver on NCL, so the $17.95 price is at least consistent with that (this tequila is "super premium" and costs $16.95 a shot). I'm not saying that these are reasonable prices — I've already said the opposite in this and other threads — I'm just saying that there is some logical relationship between these two prices. All of the other $17.95 cocktails also specify a particular super premium brand of alcohol. Except for the Chocolate/Espresso Martini, so that one looks like the biggest rip-off to me.

La Paloma is made with Patrón Silver on NCL, so the $17.95 price is at least consistent with that (this tequila is "super premium" and costs $16.95 a shot). I'm not saying that these are reasonable prices — I've already said the opposite in this and other threads — I'm just saying that there is some logical relationship between these two prices. All of the other $17.95 cocktails also specify a particular super premium brand of alcohol. Except for the Chocolate/Espresso Martini, so that one looks like the biggest rip-off to me.

UUUGGGHHH! Patrón Silver is our favorite shot. I guess they'll be costing us $1.95/each plus 18% gratuity. Less than $2.50/shot is not bad considering we already have the UBP. Wow! last cruise, in 2014, we had quite a few of these shots but DH signed all the receipts and took care of the final invoice. I had no clue it was that much!:eek::eek::eek:

Edited by English101
typo

UUUGGGHHH! Patrón Silver is our favorite shot. I guess they'll be costing us $1.95/each plus 18% gratuity. Less than $2.50/shot is not bad considering we already have the UBP. Wow! last cruise, in 2014, we had quite a few of these shots but DH signed all the receipts and took care of the final invoice. I had no clue it was that much!:eek::eek::eek:

The Patron Silver was not this expensive at the time of your last Cruise. These were recent price increases. Quite frankly I'd be really shocked if anyone was willing to pay 16 or 17 bucks for a shot of anything!

Here's my suggestion, just do shots of Fireball and skip the martinis altogether!!! We were able to get double shots at once and yowza, did they pack a punch!

Also, the mojitos which are not usually my favorite, were quite tasty and strong.

I think what bummed me out the most of the UBP was missing (by choice, we could've paid) the martini tastings. Those were always so much fun but no discount and no price difference, you had to pay the whole thing or skip it.

This thread is a perfect example why NCL does raise and raise the prices. As long as people are willing to just pay the $2 or $3 on top of it NCL would be stupid if they did not.

Not true of all of us. I already paid $200 more per person to be able to choose my own room and get the promos. Then I paid $111 each for gratuities on the promos. Now my sister may not even be able to go on the cruise (work conflicts) and I will have paid $622 extra for this drink package and I can't get my sister's share of the cruise price back since it's after final payment. So I'll be darned if I'm going to pay another penny for a drink on this Cruise!

All of the other $17.95 cocktails also specify a particular super premium brand of alcohol. Except for the Chocolate/Espresso Martini, so that one looks like the biggest rip-off to me.

I guess it's the flavored vodka so they did that. Since I only drink those (and the rare Mudslide), it's just annoying. But, good news is that I don't drink much (and have UBP). But, I'll wind up being mindful just because I am signing for it. I agree, it's not a "large" amount - but it is the principle of it.

I don't recall any "upcharge" on any drinks I had with the UBP. That included dirty martinis and some fairly good bourbons and imported beers.

It's a good deal for the week. I know I've had a $1,000 bar bill (for 2) without the UBP. Now, that's reduced to less than 1/10th of that with the UBP, and that's only for the service charge.