Gem Shows

richard k

We're just off Gem. There were only shows 4 nights or do. When they had them, they were generally presented twice at 7 and 9pm. I thought the entertainment was a great weakness of this ship. The two cast production Shows were pretty bad- high school caliber. There was some hypnotist act that wasn't my thing. And then an acrobatic duo- that was pretty good and worth seeing. The rest were a waste of time. The two lounge performers also weren't very good- piano player and female guitarist/vocalist. This ship needs to step up its game. Never waits for main dining but specialities did sell out so definitely plan those in advance.

Edited by conandrob240

We're just off Gem. There were only shows 4 nights or do. When they had them, they were generally presented twice at 7 and 9pm. I thought the entertainment was a great weakness of this ship. The two cast production Shows were pretty bad- high school caliber. There was some hypnotist act that wasn't my thing. And then an acrobatic duo- that was pretty good and worth seeing. The rest were a waste of time. The two lounge performers also weren't very good- piano player and female guitarist/vocalist. This ship needs to step up its game. Never waits for main dining but specialities did sell out so definitely plan those in advance.

I also just came off the Gem and while I had an AMAZING time I too was very disappointed with their entertainment. Same shows ( this was my 5th cruise on the Gem) No Comedian like they had last time. The other shows to me are like they said above High School quality. NCL is amazing in so many areas but they really need to step it up in this department. I was hoping for Leo at Magnum's whom I truly enjoyed very much. But again the 2 they had were very bad.

I was also disappointed with the Cruise Staff, hardly saw them about, not very friendly at all and the DJ was truly HORRID! He did a few of the Music Trivia Games and I literally wanted to put needles in my eyes!!

I may have been spoiled because on my last cruise on the Gem we had Cruise Director Dan Dan and his staff was OUTSTANDING!!! They were everywhere all the time, had excellent acts and shows. So not sure if that had anything to do with it, but this staff needs some improvement.

Just got off there Gem on saturday and have to disagree about the shows, Having married a theater person, these shows can't be compared to high school production. Most of the dancers could do a show on broadway, the 70's style theme was a fun throwback, the swing show was a nice tribute to the sounds of yesterday. The only one i didn't love was the juggler/comedian, who i had trouble hearing.

Like they say, everyone has their own opinion, so what one likes, the other won't. I did feel the assistant cruise director Zach was not funny, but that is my opinion,

and yes, my son and daughter did say the DJ sucked.

Just got off there Gem on saturday and have to disagree about the shows, Having married a theater person, these shows can't be compared to high school production. Most of the dancers could do a show on broadway, the 70's style theme was a fun throwback, the swing show was a nice tribute to the sounds of yesterday. The only one i didn't love was the juggler/comedian, who i had trouble hearing.

Like they say, everyone has their own opinion, so what one likes, the other won't. I did feel the assistant cruise director Zach was not funny, but that is my opinion,

and yes, my son and daughter did say the DJ sucked.

The Dancers were fantastic, I was more referring to the quality of the productions, this having been my 45th cruise and sailed on everything from Carnival to Princess to Disney, I do feel NCL does lack in this department. So if someone has sailed on Carnival before their shows are better and they change them. I have sailed 5 times on the Norwegian Gem since it debuted - its been the same shows since......so for me and I LOVE SHOWS, it was disappointing. Even friends that came on this cruise ( it was their first ) they were even disappointed.

80's night for me was a big disappointment the DJ just did not have it this time.

So if they can switch up their shows that might help but the production quality does need to get a refurb.

Glad you and your family had fun!!!

Edited by disneygirl

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, We will be on the Gem Sept 24,2016 I was hoping Leo who we also enjoyed very much would be there.Do you have any news on him. thanks for info

I love Leo! Also watch for a guy named Carlos-hes just as good as Leo-excellent guitarist and vocalist.

Thanks for your reply about Leo. We are glad that other people like Leo as much as we do. He is great! We spend almost every evening in the Magnum lounge listening to him with his followers. We always have a very nice time. We hope that he will be back. TV Lady 3 would you please let us know who is at the Magnum Lounge at night or if anybody else can tell us.