Need HAL 37 day South America cruise tips

lefebvere

My sole recommendation would be to arrive at the B Street Pier after 2 pm.

David

Good idea ... no "free lunch" is worth the crowds if there is another ship in port going through security at the same time. Particularly one of the larger ones. :eek:

Re clothes (again) --

Think in terms of layers. You will want to be able to put a sweater under a jacket rather than wearing a heavy coat. A vest comes in handy, too.

Over 37 days you will have just about every type of weather there is. Pack a good rain jacket with hood, since you will probably have at least one rain day. (I much prefer this to carrying an umbrella.)

Pack a hat, glove, scarf since you will have cold, too. (I have some fleece stuff that takes up very little room in a suitcase.)

For the OP, don't worry about the diet advice.

When you cruise that long, you tend to use some "judgement" and dont't have the need to have "everything" all cruise.

You'll be fine. The most I have gained is 1 pound on those cruises. Same with DH. ;)

Agree.. We did the 68 day in 2013 & only gained a pound or two, but we watched what we ate..

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You've gotten some good advice already -- but it is so good that it bears repeating:

1. Don't over pack. The laundry service onboard is good. Use it. Also, you'll want some free space for the "stuff" you'll buy to bring home.

2. If you want to see penguins, book them EVERYWHERE! Ports can be cancelled in SA due to weather/sea conditions, so you have to take every opportunity you can since it may be the only one that actually works.

3. I don't know where you are going, but if you have Reciprocity Fees and/or Visa requirements, start on them NOW. If you have Reciprocity Fees that need to be paid at the airport, look at the payment method. If it is cash, make sure those bills are clean/crisp/unused. If the Reciprocity Fees need to be paid upfront/online, make sure you have the receipts with you.

4. Follow the advice about looking at your Ports on this website. It is great and helps you to plan what you want to do at each port.

Once you digest all of the above, come back here for specific questions. The folks on this board WONDERFUL!

This is all excellent advice especially about over packing.. I'm an overpacker & for our 68 day cruise in 2013, had four pages of outfits 7 formal & 12 Smart Casual outfits, just for the evening.. However, we drive to the port & HAL had our luggage picked up from home & delivered our luggage back to our home when we returned.. We left in January & had to have our bags packed & picked up before Christmas, but they were delivered at home the day after arrival.. Realize HAL no longer has formal nights, but on the longer cruises Psgrs. tend to dress up more..

I do not send my good clothes out, & was able to wear most of my casual outfits two or three times & used HAL's laundry service in addition to rinsing out some of my special tops myself.. DH took a suit, his TUX in addition to several sweaters & a casual jacket for evenings as HAL keeps the ship colder than we are used to.. Also took long silk underwear for me to wear in the cold climes..

Layers were needed..I took a fur hat for me & a knitted hat for DH with gloves but forgot my scarf..Ended up purchasing one on board..Be sure you both have good walking shoes.. I had short boots which I bought in the Burlington Coat factory..Be sure to take heavy socks..

I made up a loose leaf booklet of the ports with notes about what we wanted to see..

If you have more specific questions, be sure & ask them as agree most everyone here loves to give advice..LOL:)

Hope you have a wonderful cruse & please let us know your thoughts when you return..:):)

P.S. Just by posting I'm reliving our wonderful cruise! ;)(/SIZE] Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Edited by serendipity1499

We are going on the 37 day South America cruise on Holland America line. We leave October 2. Any tips?

We loved our South American trip so much, we did it twice! We would go again in a heart beat. It is the best way to see the S.A. national parks.