Hi Marty,

What do you suggest for a full-day in port in Malaga. We don't want to see the Alhambra, nor city sightseeing.

I'd love to see the mountains and gorges, and the white villages. I understand Mijas is very touristy; what about Ronda or Antequera?

Should (can) we rent a car at the port? Is driving difficult? How about via motorcycle? Or would a tour bus be the best idea?

A million thanks in advance for your help...

Maryann

We flew into Malaga but did not really spend much time there. We based out of timeshares between Malaga and Marbella. Driving was good, especially on the highways....well signed and since we were not there in the high season summer months....not much heavy traffic.

Mijas is the closest white village to Malaga......by car maybe 30 minutes.

It was very commercial. Ronda was super.......great views from the gorge,

the home of bullfighting, great pedestrial shopping. We ate at Pedro Romero Restaurant across from the bullring.....wonderful almond gazpacho.

There is a main highway running along the Costa del Sol. Nothing special....

sort of like Sunrise highway. From Malaga it was about 45-60 minutes to Marbella. Marbella was lovely.....great shops, old town Marbella, the paseo along the Med. Ronda was another 30 minutes from Marbella up through the mountains. Not difficult to drive to either if you have the time. Just not sure

if there is a car rental at the port. We used a consolidator, CarJet and they were great.

If you feel you might rather stay close to Malaga I could direct you to people in the area who could offer great advice. I use http://www.virtualtourist.com. There are regulars from Malaga who will answer and advise you. Let me know.....my email is markar23@optonline.net.

Costa del Sol is a haven for tourists primarily from the UK. The "real" Spain is not necessarily found here. We used it as a base to explore Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba, Tangiers, Nerja, Gibralter. But we were not cruising on this trip so time was not an issue.

Email me any other questions.

Marty

Bellmore, NY

:)

Archived