First ever cruise (on the Epic)

The Lost Boy

Hi Everyone, we are sailing out of Barcelona in under two weeks and i've done enough research & youtube to feel like i've been there already :)

But. There are a couple of things that i need your help with.

Firstly, we have the UBP and i'm not sure how this works. Can we stroll up to any & every bar and get drinks? Are there any bars that you have to pay at?

I want to hopefully get Posh passes for the sea day, are the drinks included there?

Also. Is it obvious which are the complimentary restaurants?

Thank you.

Hi, Lost Boy. Enjoy the Epic - it's a great boat on a nice itinerary. We were fortunate to be on the inaugural and remember it fondly.

Regarding your questions, UBP is available at every bar but there is a cap (currently $15) on drink prices so it provides free beverages up to that value. Over that value, UBP will not cover the charge and you will be asked to pay.

You will be able to order drinks from the facilities in Posh, again up to the value of the cap.

Finally, the restaurants that incur an additional charge or that are A la carte will be detailed in the Freestyle Daily. Basically, the majority are subject to additional charges except The Manhattan Room, O'Sheehans, The Garden Café, The Great Outdoors and Taste.

Enjoy!

Regarding your questions' date=' UBP is available at every bar but there is a cap (currently $15) on drink prices so it provides free beverages up to that value. [b']Over that value, UBP will not cover the charge and you will be asked to pay.[/b]

But you only pay the difference.

So if your drink is $17, $15 is covered by UBP so you just pay $2 + 18%

Thank you both for your replies. What drinks could possibly be over £13??:eek:

Mostly "Ultra Premium" and "Super Premium" drinks/spirits, expensive wines, cognacs and champagne.

90% of drinks are included in the UBP and as long as you're not expecting to be sipping champagne every day you'll be fine.

There are a few spirits which are priced very highly for no possible reason other than to push them out of UBP, but you can happily substitute for a cheaper spirit/drink.

There is a upto date drinks menu round here but can't find the link right now.

Here are some links if you want to learn about your ship prior to sailing. (Always a good idea.) This page on NCL website tells you about dining, bars, etc. on the Epic: https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/epic/whats-on-board. As obvious as it sounds, the NCL site is loaded with info about NCL ships. :-)

This tells you the terms of the UBP: https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

The Epic was my first cruise, you'll have a great time!

If you're considering dining in the up-charge restaurants (at least 2) then it's worth pre purchasing a dining package as you will save money. However the food in the free dining rooms is really nice too, you don't need to pay for the upcharge places! You can't accidentley eat in an upcharge restaurant without knowing, don't worry. They make it clear on the dailies and on the menus.

If you have any sea days do go to whichever MDR is open for lunch instead of the buffet- the food is delicious! And if Moderno offers themed buffets for lunch on sea days then you also don't want to miss those. Just check the dailies to see when they are on.

On the day you board, try heading to either O'Sheehans or the dining room for lunch as the buffet will be very busy. We did O'Sheehans and it was a great first lunch.

Hi Everyone, we are sailing out of Barcelona in under two weeks and i've done enough research & youtube to feel like i've been there already :)

But. There are a couple of things that i need your help with.

Firstly, we have the UBP and i'm not sure how this works. Can we stroll up to any & every bar and get drinks? Are there any bars that you have to pay at?

I want to hopefully get Posh passes for the sea day, are the drinks included there?

Also. Is it obvious which are the complimentary restaurants?

Thank you.

Hello, Lost Boy! I think we are on your sailing? Are you leaving on 4 September out of Barcelona?

If so, please check out our Roll Call! We'd love to meet up with you!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2344964

We are boarding on the 3rd in Marseille. We sailed on the Epic last year and it was AMAZING! So much fun! :D