Braille on Constellation?

hugosmom

My husband and I recently were on Celebrity's Mercury, where the cabin doors were Brailled, as were the outside of the elevators so he knew which deck he was on. There was limited Braille on signs posted close to the elevators. We're thinking of a cruise on Constellation and were wondering if anyone knew if there was Braille labeling to the same, or maybe better, degree than on Mercury.

He was able to get the menus in Braille on Mercury; we don't know why that wouldn't also be possible on Constellation, but would love to hear from anyone with first-hand information.

Mercury also had a relief area for his dog guide, aft on our deck; again we're assuming the same will be available on Constellation but were curious for some first-hand knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, I can not answer all you questions, but the cabin doors are Brailled, as were the outside of the elevators on all the Celebrity Ships we have been on (3 of the M-class ships -- Millie, Constellation & Summit) and we have seen service dogs on all of them.

Suggest you call Captain's Club and ask them or the Special Service dept. who will handle any special needs.

My wife is legally blind but can see a little to get by while on ship. Because of this we sail the M-Class as it is easier for her to go by herself due to the layout of this class of ship and now she knows her way around and there are very few areas she would have problems in walking.

The bathrooms with their step up into the room is her main problem area. But this is true of all ships we have been on.

I'll get back to you later on in the week concerning your questions.Have you called Celebrity? They may be able to answer any of your questions.I have seen braille on past cruises on Infinity and Mellenium,but i don't know the extent of the service.I'll check for menues and anything else that comes to mind. I'll check back later.John

My husband and I recently were on Celebrity's Mercury, where the cabin doors were Brailled, as were the outside of the elevators so he knew which deck he was on. There was limited Braille on signs posted close to the elevators. We're thinking of a cruise on Constellation and were wondering if anyone knew if there was Braille labeling to the same, or maybe better, degree than on Mercury.

Below is a link to Celebrity's web site with some info on Braille.

http://www.celebrity.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxt.do;jsessionid=0000uTDQz2IxD_eWR342pOI7Cvu:1028etqv2?pagename=visual_impairments&cS=SIDENAV

Thanks for the replies - the information on the website is misleading, and we get inconsistent information from the Special Needs department. On Mercury, there were no Brailled elevator buttons, nor were there audible call signals, even though we were told by the Special Needs department that there were. My husband was also told that he would be getting the "Celebrity Today" in Braille, but once aboard, were told it was impossible.

Please don't misunderstand - we had a wonderful cruise on Mercury and that's why we are already looking into going on Constellation. My husband just wants to hear from someone who has been on that ship so that he's not disappointed when the ship doesn't match what he's been promised by the Special Needs department or the website.

Brailled cabin doors and Braille outside the elevators is better than no Braille at all; Brailled elevator buttons really aren't that difficult to do (in fact, Carnival added them after we cruised on Triumph several years ago and expressed disappointment that there wasn't Braille anywhere on the ship) and would be most helpful.

Archived