Advice Please: Rivers Edge in Fairbanks?

SEPyle

We're planning our late May 2006 independent Alaska tour and I'm interested in feedback about the Rivers Edge Resort in Fairbanks. Were you satisfied with your stay there.

Also interested in feedback about other properties. We will have between 5-10 rooms. We will be flying in from Anchorage then taking the Princess Train to Talkeetna. We may rent cars, but not sure at this point and the Rivers Edge does offer free shuttles to the train, as well as to other excursions we're interested in doing.

Thanks in advance.

Sharon

We're planning our late May 2006 independent Alaska tour and I'm interested in feedback about the Rivers Edge Resort in Fairbanks. Were you satisfied with your stay there.

Also interested in feedback about other properties. We will have between 5-10 rooms. We will be flying in from Anchorage then taking the Princess Train to Talkeetna. We may rent cars, but not sure at this point and the Rivers Edge does offer free shuttles to the train, as well as to other excursions we're interested in doing.

Thanks in advance.

Sharon

Nice resort, but not near much. Haven't stayed there, much better like B&B's in Alaska. Cars are necessary for touring Fairbanks in my opinion, shuttles take up a lot of "wait" time, and then are limited on where you can go.

How are you getting from Talkeetna to Fairbanks??? In my opinion, this is the least scenic portion of the Alaska RR- Anchorage/Talkeetna/Denali Park.

I've stayed there twice, in 2003 and 2004, and think its a very nice property, though as BQ says, it's not near anything (but neither are any other hotels - Fairbanks is a VERY spread-out town). The cabins I've had both times were immaculate, the restaurant is very good for both breakfast and dinner, and its nice to be able to take a short walk along the bank of the Chena River. The only downside to the property is that the HUGE gravel parking lot (made for the tour buses that arrive/leave regularly) is pretty overpowering as you walk to and from the cabins. EDIT: I just noticed that the hotel description at Hotels.com says "...Home To 86 Private Cottages Each With Riverfront Or Gardened Courtyards..." - that's not entirely true, as probably 30 of those cabins have only the parking lot as a yard, though they do have a verandah with table and chairs. Paying the extra few bucks to get a riverfront cabin would be far better (I never have that choice, as I don't pay the bill).

Murray

Thanks for the feedback! I've been really working to get the best options for our group. Budget Queen, you asked about our route between Talkeetna/Fairbanks. After staying in Seward at the Alaska Saltwater Lodge we'll be flying from Anchorage to Fairbanks, then taking the Princess Train from Fairbanks to Talkeetna. There's an important reason we're doing this. My daughter will be working on the Princess trains. Between loving the trains last year and the fact we want to be able to see Bethany, the trains it is! From our experience last May, I felt the portion between Fairbanks and Denali was the least scenic, but feel the portion between Denali and Talkeetna was beautiful!

So now, back to Fairbanks. It's still a possiblility we'll rent cars in Fairbanks, but since River's Edge offers shuttles to where we'll be wanting to go, that just may work for us. You mentioned B&B's closer to downtown. Any feedback on A Bed and Breakfast Inn on Minnie Street? Any others?

So many choices! I do have to say going on trains is complicating my planning, but in the end it is what is right for us!

Thanks again Yukon and Budget Queen for your observations!

Thanks so much Murry for the link to your site! I spent quite a bit of time last night checking out the options and I really think for our group Rivers Edge will be perfect. I'm going to call on Monday and hopefully will get some decent group rates. I will make sure we all get the cottages facing the river. I loved looking out over the river at midnight when we stayed at Pikes Waterfront last year.

I love your site and in fact I'm going back now to learn more about Alaska for our upcoming cruise in May! Last year we went on the WPRR when we were in Skagway. This next time I'm really looking forward to going the car rental route and use your guide to really experience the beauty of the Yukon!

Thanks again!

Sharon

Thanks, Sharon. The Rivers Edge has some strong positive points for a group - getting several cabins along the river provides a great little "community" that can continue into their particularly nice restaurant.

Murray

Murry, Since you're online too, hope you don't mind if I 'pick' your brain just a little more! I know you know Alaska well, and wondering where you would recommend we eat for dinner in Seward.

It will be our first night of our interior tour and will be my birthday to boot. Last year we did the same dates and did the tour thru Celebrity. I did my homework and we chose Chair 5 in Girdwood. It was so so so good and my flaming birthday shot wasn't too shabby either!!

I'm really glad knowing the food is good at River's Edge because I wasn't impressed with the food at Pikes. Maybe though it just couldn't compare to the incredible Salmon dusted with curry with a ginger hollandase sauce I had at Chair 5! Are you ready for this? I'm not even a big fan of curry. I thought the curry was in the sauce and they put it on the side for me. It was just one of those meals that's hard to forget! Oh yes, also the reason I don't order Salmon in Charlotte anymore!

Sharon

Thanks as always for your input!

Sharon

Unfortunately, I've yet to have a truly memorable meal in Seward, and I don't think I've missed anyplace (actually, that's not quite true, but the only memorable meal was in a place that closed 3 or 4 years ago). The other side of that is that I've also never had a bad meal in Seward - they all provide good basic worth-the-price meals.

Murray

Archived