PADI Certification on Navigator

aba555

I read where you can take the classes for PADI certification onboard the ship and then do your checkout dives in St. Thomas. Has anyone done this? If so, would you recommend it? Did it take up too much of your "ship time"?

My daughter did this on the Navigator, but it is NOT a full PADI certification. In fact, it doesn't really do much for you no matter how it is touted by RCI. It is NOT an Open Water Diver certification, and I was disappointed that it wasn't clear from the start.

My daughter did this on the Navigator, but it is NOT a full PADI certification. In fact, it doesn't really do much for you no matter how it is touted by RCI. It is NOT an Open Water Diver certification, and I was disappointed that it wasn't clear from the start.

Really? Then the description is very deceptive. We are thinking about getting certified as a family, but aren't sure if we want to do it on the cruise or do the classroom and pool stuff before the cruise. Then, just do the checkout dives down there. Too cold where we are to get checked out before May! Brrr.....:)

I wanted my daughter to get her Open Water Diver cert so she and I could dive by ourselves. We didn't find out her cert wasn't Open Water Diver until the end of the class she took. (I was certified in San Diego from Sport Chalet). There isn't enough book work time, and the dive time is also short. This was in 2003. Perhaps they have changed. You should call them to be certain of the actual PADI certification type is offered. I hope I am wrong, and would love to hear what some other posters would say about this.

My daugher's "certification" is called "PADI Scuba Diver" and here is what it is according to PADI. If this is what you are looking for, then great. Just be clear it is NOT a PADI Open Water Diver cert.

PADI Scuba Diver?

The PADI Scuba Diver program is a pre-entry level certification that is perfect for vacationers or people who only plan to dive a couple times a year.

As a subprogram of the PADI Open Water Diver program, the PADI Scuba Diver rating allows you to get certified quickly and easily by minimizing time constraints. With the PADI Scuba Diver certification you can dive under the direct supervision of a PADI Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, Instructor or higher professional on your next vacation or dive trip

So, basically it is a certified "Resort Course" so you don't have to keep doing the resort course next time you would like to dive, but you MUST dive with a dive master under his/her direct supervision, no going off on your own during the dive.

Got 'cha! Thanks! We have done the resort course dives a couple of times. I was certified years ago (before DH and kids!). It's been probably 20 years since I have been diving on my own, though. I would just feel more comfortable going through the whole course again. The only places to get certified where we live are in lakes. I'm not real fond of lake diving. I grew up on the gulf coast.

Archived