Getting the Best out of Point and Shoot..

dividedsky

I was just wondering if any one had any tips to share for getting the most out of a point and shoot camera. I have a pretty decent Canon that I'm happy with the pictures it takes but there are some situations where I think it can do better. I eventually want to get a DSLR but not ready to make that jump yet.

I carried a P&S for years as a daily shooter and as a backup on vacation. THe modern P&S is a very capable tool and with a little care, it will take excellent photos. Here are some of my thoughts from the last 15 years shooting with various digital P&S cameras.

The best advice with a P&S is: Hold it still!

When friends and family ask me why their photos aren't clear sharp, I almost always find the problem to be blur. I ask them to take a picture and 9 times out of ten, I see them push the shutter release suddenly causing the camera to dip slightly as it snaps the photo. Practice the soft squeeze of the shutter and when the light is so-so, lean against a wall or rail or brace your camera against something to steady it. One of the many pocket sized mini-tripods is a must-have accessory. You can set them on tables, benches, rocks and even use them to brace against a rounded rail while hand-holding.

Use flash sparingly. P&S cameras have mediocre flash at best and there are many ways to get a good shot in low light without a flash. Even with a P&S. I wrote an article some time ago on shooting in low light that may give you some ideas: http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/lowlight.html

Take more than one shot of a subject. If you see something interesting, take the shot from a few different angles and varying distances if possible. I have gotten some real gems from amongst the many "what was I thinking" shots using this method. Hey, film is free!

Practice you composition. A perfectly centered subject is seldom the best way to draw the viewer's eye to you photo. here's another article on the Rule of Thirds, which is the basic compositional rule for photography and most art before it: http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/ruleofthirds.html

Keep your horizons and subjects straight in landscapes. Casual people shots, food and many subjects are ok at an angle but a sloping ocean or leaning city is jarring to look at (if you are like me and vastly imperfect at this, remember to edit the photo before posting ;) ).

DON'T FORGET TO CARRY YOUR CAMERA WITH YOU! The shot you take will always be better than the one you didn't!

Keep the lens clean. Carry a microfiber cleaning cloth and check the lens often for fingerprints and other crud.

Most of all, have fun shooting!

Dave