Leaving in 13 days for our 1st Alaska trip on Sun!

NoName

We did Alaska (with Celebrity however not NCL) at the end of May, we booked the Tracey Arm Fjord Catamaran excursion which was fabulous - as we didn't get to go to Tracey Arm (went to Endecott as many did this year) - we thought it would be cancelled - it wasn't - the same catamaran goes up to Dawes instead.

For sure it was the highlight of our trip - I am pretty sure NCL offer the same excursion - worth every penny!

The catamaran goes right up close to the glacier - its a wonderful trip which then goes on to view whales and seals. Hot chocolate and pastries served on board - if NCL do it - its so worth doing!

j22_zpskcxqoxpw.jpg

j21_zpslnvbjlv2.jpg

Rainwear yeah - we needed it - but as we are Scottish we are pretty waterproof - was very much like home for us.

I thought it would be a once in a lifetime bucket list check for us, but I want to go back some day and do a full route and land tour.

Loved it so much!

Have a great cruise!

We sailed the Sun in May. We had a forward penthouse so I cannot comment on the aft smells, but the front of the ship was fine. We dined at Le Bistro, Cagney's and La Cucina. Of the three, Le Bistro was our favorite. Main shows were mostly variety acts. Some good some fair. Our favorite performers were a jazz quartet, Tuxedo Junction. If they are still on the ship, they are worth seeing.

We have been on all the big NCL ships including the Escape and Breakaway. We enjoyed how easy it is to get around on the Sun compared to the large ships. Our ship stopped in Astoria, Sitka, Icy Straits and Ketchikan. It appears your ship has a different itinerary but does stop in Ketchikan. We took the Aleutian Ballad crap boat excursion. A great excursion in Ketchikan. Do not worry about the weather, it is basically a crap shoot. We were expecting cold weather in early May, and instead got sunny and 70 every stop and not a drop of rain. Rain or sun, Alaska is magnificent and one of our favorite destinations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We spent 10 days on the Sun in the Southern Carib a few years ago. We loved the ship, and they had a very cohesive, personable crew. The ship was passenger friendly and you could tell the crew was having a good time. Ronny Borg was captain at the time. I think I read that he's back.

We loved the Sports Bar, they had happy hour 2 for 1 drinks back then. Never had any complaints about any of the Specialty Dining places. The Great Outdoors was also a favorite. The days of the $5 pizza are gone now. Sounds like you can order it for the cost of the room service fee, otherwise there is always pizza on the buffet (run up and fill a plate to take to your room), the other choice is the italian restaurant. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

We spent 10 days on the Sun in the Southern Carib a few years ago. We loved the ship, and they had a very cohesive, personable crew. The ship was passenger friendly and you could tell the crew was having a good time. Ronny Borg was captain at the time. I think I read that he's back.

We loved the Sports Bar, they had happy hour 2 for 1 drinks back then. Never had any complaints about any of the Specialty Dining places. The Great Outdoors was also a favorite. The days of the $5 pizza are gone now. Sounds like you can order it for the cost of the room service fee, otherwise there is always pizza on the buffet (run up and fill a plate to take to your room), the other choice is the italian restaurant. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I will miss the $5 pizza. I look forward to spending time in the Great Outdoors! Thanks. Kim

The Sun is my favorite ship; probably a lot of romanticism involved, as it was the ship of our first cruise. Went again in November of 2014 with my 3 sisters (gosh, was it really almost 2 years ago?!!!!) It was a sisters cruise, no DHs, and we were in an aft penthouse, which was on my bucket list. One sister upgraded us to the suite as a surprise to the 3 of us. No sewage smells at the aft of the ship that we could discern.

I like all the NCL ships which still have the Observation Lounge in the front of the ship. I spent lots of time there with my laptop during my first cruise, writing a diary and an article for my industry newsletter. That's where I learned about the Chocolate Martini, which NCL has changed from that original recipe since.

Our first cruise was to Alaska, and that is also my favorite itinerary. We took an itinerary out of Ketchikan which was also my favorite excursion, called Misty Fjords sea and sky. We took a catamaran for 3.5 hours up the fjords, then stopped at a dock and got on a float plane for the ride back to Ketchikan. I don't know if they still offer this, as it requires a long stay in Ketchikan. If I return to Alaska again, I want to do the itinerary that does the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion, which I only learned about here on CC.

Like has been stated, the cabins on the Sun are larger than on subsequent ships. Our next cruise was on the Pearl, a balcony cabin again, and as I entered our cabin on the Pearl I remember remarking how the size was smaller than our balcony cabin had been on the Sun.

Have a great cruise, and enjoy the SUN!

Enjoy your holiday! While we have not sailed on the Sun, we are fans of the smaller ships. If the bells and whistles means long lines to them, then why bother?

I posted, though, to give one helpful tip. If you are a fan of excursions and being off and active, you should know you can do more than 1 excursion in most ports in Alaska. For example, you could do dog sleding in the morning and a helicopter glacier tour in the afternoon.