Anyone done Costa Rica with Windstar?

KatWag

Hi Everyone,

We're looking into the Costa Rica itineraries for December of 2006. Have any of you sailed that itinerary? Any feedback? "Must dos",things to avoid?

Also, would you do your own air for that trip or book via the cruise line? We're leaving from Philadelphia, so we start at a major airport if that helps with the decision making.

This would be our very first trip with Windstar. :)

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the great advice I've received on these Boards.

Kathy

We leave will in about a month for the first Costa Rica cruise this year. I will report on ot after we return. Because so few people cruise Windstar, it is difficult to find reviews and other current info on this cruise.

We leave December 3rd. Is anyone out there joining us?

The ports have changed a bit since we took this trip six years ago (some, not all that good, pictures on the link below).

For some of my family of 12, Windstar is a great way to kick back and relax on vacation. For others, ports are filled with activities. The Costa Rica trip offered both groups what they wanted.

For those that went inland at ports, the eco-tours were the biggest hit. I tend to spend mornings doing scuba and relaxing the rest of the day away in water, one way or another. [A word on the scuba: if there has been lots of rain recently (as there was our trip), the runoff brings viz down to tens-of-feet. Snorkeling, although as much fun for me as scuba, wasn't all that much to write home about either. Although, any day in the water is better than where I can usually be found.]

In Quapos you'll find a coffee bean roaster that to this day we support. If you are a coffee nut (bean? cheery?) find Cafe Milagro. They are wonderful people, doing some wonderful local works... not to mention roasting.

Not enough positive can be said of the locals. Everywhere we went we felt welcomed and supported. They live in one of the truely stunning places left and they seem proud of their government for helping to keep it that way.

Enjoy your trip and let us know what you find there when you get back.

We have sailed the Costa Rica itinerary twice, first aboard Wind Song in 1998, second aboard Wind Spirit in 2002. The itineraries varied just a little and we loved both cruises.

If you are seeking a hotel, you might want to check out the Hotel Grano de Oro in San Jose. It is a charming little hotel with an excellent dining room. We stayed there for a few days and recommend it highly.

The eco-tours are truly spectacular. Take a raft down the Corobici River if you get a chance. Costa Rica is truly a special place and the people we met there were delightful.

Over the years, we have become "Windstar groupies". Leaving on November 2 for Malaga and the Wind Surf from Malaga to Lisbon.

Hope you enjoy the experience as much as we have.

Thanks for the info. We are staying at Hotel Grano De Oro after the cruise before we head back to Chicago. Coach Costa Rica recomended it.

We leave for Costa Rica on the 29th of November.

This is our first small ship experience.

Just got our documents yesterday. Loved the blue denim Windstar Logo document pouch!

Gary,

Please share your experiences here when you return from your trip. We're a family of four traveling to Costa Rica/Panama over New Year's. We would love to hear of any great excursions, restaurants, tours, etc., you would recommend.

Thanks,

Beth

Thanks for all the great feedback, everyone.

Gary, I'll be looking forward to hearing all about your trip when you get back.

Just called our TA today and booked the 12/16/06 sailing. :)

Kathy

Just having returned from a Med cruise with Windstar, I suggest you book your airline yourself. Windstar uses Delta and partners. Our flights as booked included very long layovers and three separate flights from Milwaukee to Athens, and Barcelona to Milwaukee. I found airlines where we could have shortened our travel time significantly and had one fewer stop. We also found that Lufthansa strictly enforced the "one" carryone rule in coach, so if you wanted to take a purse and a rollaboard, you were out of luck. Get to your port of departure one day early and you should be ok.

I also heard from a friend who lives near Philly that he NEVER flies from Philly. He drives to Baltimore. Says Philly departure requires you to get going many hours ahead of departure since you can't predict the traffic in that area. This is from a person who flies 100,000 miles plus a year.

Archived