What would you have done?

English-Greg

This is one of the reasons we only do YTD!

IF we get bad service one night we can request a different wait staff the next night.

I would have complained directly to the maitre d and asked to be moved but since you didn't do that then what you ended up doing with tips seems just fine to me.

even at fixed time dining you can request a different table. i have done it when we finally finished dinner after 2.5 hours.

We had a somewhat similar experience once. The solution from guest services was to cancel auto tips and do individually. This was before they added tips for entertainment staff, etc. The head waiter was horrible. We ended up giving the tip (and more) to the bread/water guy and asst waiter, who really were the people who took care of us, and some to the head waiter. We didn't stiff him, but he did receive significantly less than the other two. We always overtip the room steward, so he was taken care of just fine.

Gratuity is gratuity. It's not a paycheck. I'm not "paying" for service that wasn't rendered. That doesn't even make sense. That is the only time we have ever had to remove tips.

As someone said, if you are in a land restaurant, of course you reduce your gratuity for subpar service. We've pulled busboys to the side on several occasions and tipped them because they did such a great job. It's the service industry. It's how it works.

Just back from a 7 day on the Breeze.

Unfortunately on the 1st night at dinner we found out our waiter was a "dud" and didnt really care. We waited over an hour for our Entree and then not only was it cold, they brought my wife the wrong dish! After 12 Carnival cruises, this was a huge shock as we have always had top notch wait staff.

Needless to say we made a complaint and that filtered through to the Maitre d'. The next evening we got much better service but the head waiters attitude kinda stunk. However one of the assistant Maitre d's made sure he didnt slack on service and stayed in our section for the rest of the cruise (we were not the only table to complain).

My dilemma was when it came to the gratuity. In all honesty I really wanted to cancel the gratuity altogether but gave it a lot of thought. Our cabin steward and the rest of the wait staff did a great job. The assistant Maitre d did an outstanding job! So for poor service and a bad attitude it cost me a "handsome" gratuity to the assistant Maitre d and I left the standard gratuity alone. As far as I am aware, you cannot single out one individual and cancel his payment? I certainly didnt want to affect anyone else who gave the service we are led to expect on board. I am sure in future if this were to happen, we would request to be moved but on this occasion, we didnt. Would you have come to the same conclusion or taken a different approach?

What I would have done on the last night is give the other two waiters (assuming you had three working your table/section) an extra tip RIGHT IN FRONT of the head waiter, and give him nothing. Ouch! Point made!

Edited by Badfinger

What I would have done on the last night is give the other two waiters (assuming you had three working your table/section) an extra tip RIGHT IN FRONT of the head waiter, and give him nothing. Ouch! Point made!

Yup, give him a dose of his own medicine. That will make him feel non-existent!

Cuts in staff including;

Food servers in kitchen AND many waitstaff have now resulted in the poorest on service in the Main dining room on all ships.

We should have seen this coming.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Forums mobile app

personally i haven't seen that so i disagree with your assessment.