UBP and purchasing Premium Liquor

NH Cruisers

I did a quick search and may have missed what I am seeking.

I received the UBP promo with my cruise.

My question.

I realize the super premium liqueurs are not included in the package. Are they pro-rated at all? Say a shot of Johnny Walker Blue. Or regardless, do I pay the full retail price? This is specific toward the Breakaway too, as I realize some things seem to work differently from ship to ship.

Thanks

Jonny A

Any one know the price of a Johnny Walker Blue shot?
According to this post, it was $19.95 in June. But the prices of top-shelf brands have jumped up since then, so I would guess it's more like $30 a shot now. :( For example, Rémy Martin XO was around the same price, maybe a little cheaper than JW Blue, and it is now $29.95 a glass (Le Bistro dessert menu). Edited by hawkeyetlse

According to this post, it was $19.95 in June. But the prices of top-shelf brands have jumped up since then, so I would guess it's more like $30 a shot now. :( For example, Rémy Martin XO was around the same price, maybe a little cheaper than JW Blue, and it is now $29.95 a glass (Le Bistro dessert menu).

Good to know, I guess at $30 a shot or $15 plus Gratuity with UBP it is a deal. Bars up my way are $35 for JW-B. Especially since I got the UBP no charge as promo. Yeah! I'll finally get a chance to try it.

Fair warning - on the gem I had two very nice glasses of wine that were above the UBP max at that time. I was charged the full amount, and even after I complained to the concierge the UBP amount was not offset. I'm still rather steamed as those glasses should have only been about $2 each. And this was not so long ago and people were also pumping the UBP offset. So it *should* work but you may want to ask the bar manager specifically when you order. (Manager, not bartender or waiter).

You pay the difference over and above the $15 + the 18% grats

This confuses me a little (not that it takes much) because the T&Cs clearly exclude some items so why would you expect to have a "credit" of $15 to apply to items excluded? NCL has the very vague "designated Super Premium brands (subject to change)" listed as an exclusion and I saw JW-B listed as a Super Premium.

Examples of other "exclusions":

- if you buy a bucket of beers, you do not get charged the full price and receive a credit of $15

- if you buy wine from the vending machine thing, you can't go to Guest Services and ask for a $15 credit

- if you purchase a cappuccino, you don't pay the full price and receive a credit of $15

While I absolutely love and hope that NCL charges only the difference above $15 plus 18% ..... if you read the T&Cs it is super vague.

Edited by esm54687

While I absolutely love and hope that NCL charges only the difference above $15 plus 18% ..... if you read the T&Cs it is super vague.

You are correct, the terms are vague. They go back to when the UBP was first introduced and there was an actual list of brands that were designated as totally excluded from the package. You can still find lists like these floating around, but they are all at least 2 or 3 years old. They stopped excluding brands a long time ago, and lots of people (including me) have recent, first-hand experience with the current policy, where all brands are either fully included in the UBP or eligible for the $15 credit.

However, as you noted, this little detail about "designated super premium brands" is still in the terms, so NCL could decide at any moment and with zero warning to start excluding certain brands from the package again.

Edited by hawkeyetlse